Natural Sisters Please Help Me Settle A Bet

katote

One of my friend is transitioning, and she came across a hair album with similar hair to hers. I told her not to make a big deal about hair type (4A, 4B etc), but she insists that is a big deal especially when checking out the products they use. She thinks this yound lady's hair is a 4A, but I told her I think it is a 4B. What do you think?

Last edited:
The hair typing is a an exact science that I haven't fiqured out. I've been told I was a 4a/4b but her hair curls look looser than mine. My hair is tightly coil.

3c/4a too me. I don't see any zig-zag waves to be a 4B. She has a clearly defined curl pattern about the size of a straw.

Kinda looks like my hair and I have 3 different textures on my head... so I'd say you're both right (4a/b)

Looks like 4A to me.

katote said:
One of my friend is transitioning, and she came across a hair album with similar hair to hers. I told her not to make a big deal about hair type (4A, 4B etc), but she insists that is a big deal especially when checking out the products they use. She thinks this yound lady's hair is a 4A, but I told her I think it is a 4B. What do you think?

http://public.fotki.com/karenemissthang/april_2006/

katote said:

http://public.fotki.com/karenemissthang/april_2006/

This ladies' hair looks like a 4a with very thick and fine strands. To me she has the classic s-strand curl, which is quite fine but very dense.

MeechUK

I think its a 3C/4A

On the hair type, it really doesn't matter since there are so many other factors that go into how a person's hair will react to a certain product

4a to me... Very pretty. It does have an obvious curl pattern so its not 4b but its a small curl pattern so I picked 4a. 4b hair has zig-zags. I thought 3c hair had curl the size of a fat crayon or a thumb.

Last edited:
it looks like 3c to me.i have 4b hair and the curls are very small .if she's 4b i'm 4z. Andre say's 4b hair has a curl but its very small .not that it doesn't have one .Check my album to see my hair.

A little off subject, but it seems that 4b consists of two-three separate camps (because of Andre's poor labeling system for afro-textured hair, I guess). I've seen people with no curl definition at all (straight hair, but kinky) be labeled a 4b. I've seen people with kinky waves, like my hair, be considered a 4b. And I've seen people with teeny tiny curls that you can't see without pulling the strand (the strand looks like tiny "o"s or a really delicate curl pattern) be considered 4b.

That's a lot of folks in the 4b camp.

I guess I would consider this gal a solid 4a, rather than a mix of 4a/4b like I am, at any rate.

I may be late but she totally looks like a 4a to me. It really doesn't matter though. I don't like the same products as most 3c's.

I think she's a 4a, but this typing system is so weak when it comes to classifying afro textured hair whether you are a 3 something or a 4 something.

I think the "freshly washed" pics gave it away for me... she looks very 3C. (I'm 4b)

When it comes to products, I always check out the person's hair type first before following through with a recommendation. But you must remember that some products cross hair type lines.

Back