Natural Pressers: How do you get your hair to swing?

I like wearing my hair straight. I just have not been doing so because I am letting it grow and straighten it for length checks. I have an assortment of stove top and electric combs. The salon I went to recommended that I use gold and hot electric combs at the highest temperature for consistent heat. I have five of them and use them simultaneously when I straighten.( I have only straightened my hair 5 times in two years) This is because I would overdo it and burn it out trying to keep it straight in the summer. I love my hair straight and have a wonderful stylist here in Detroit. I will be glad when I am beyond this "rest" period and get my next session from her.

This is an interesting thread.....Question? Are the salons still using the old type pressing combs that you heat up on the little stove? Just curious since there were some discussion in here about a pressing comb and flat irons being the same:look:.

Do you use an electric pressing comb? Or the old school kind?

I have both but I primarily use the electric pressing comb because I don't want to spend the time testing the old school combs on a napkin to make sure they don't burn. It doesn't take much time but my patience is gone after spending an hour blowing out my hair.

My stylist uses the old school kind that you put in a stove. I'm sure its at least 500 degrees but there is no way to know without having a heat tester.

This is an interesting thread.....Question? Are the salons still using the old type pressing combs that you heat up on the little stove? Just curious since there were some discussion in here about a pressing comb and flat irons being the same:look:.

I've never seen a stylist use an electric pressing comb. Flat irons, yes.

ETA: To be clear, I meant that I've only seen stylists use old school pressing combs. They also use electric flat irons but that's for curling and styling after the hair has been straightened.

Last edited:

Most stylists where I live use the flat iron, I haven't seen an old school pressing comb in years! I think maybe the older stylists that are still around probably still use them.

I have both but I primarily use the electric pressing comb because I don't want to spend the time testing the old school combs on a napkin to make sure they don't burn. It doesn't take much time but my patience is gone after spending an hour blowing out my hair.

My stylist uses the old school kind that you put in a stove. I'm sure its at least 500 degrees but there is no way to know without having a heat tester.

I've never seen a stylist use an electric pressing comb. Flat irons, yes.

Ok what brand of electric comb do you use? I've been using my mom's and want to purchase my own.

Yep this is similar to the one my stylist uses. It looks like a little silver portable oven that you can place the comb into. After she does the full press, she goes back through with a big barrel curling iron to bend the ends. Never used a flat iron on me except for the time the handle was broken on her pressing comb. She does use the flat iron on her relaxed clients though.

Last edited:

My stylist starts with a flat iron and finishes with an old school marcel iron pressing comb.

I use a flat iron at home. I tried electric press comb and it ripped my hair. So I didn't use it anymore.

I don't think you have to go to a professional to get good results. It's all about good technique and not weighing the hair down with too much product. It's all about the initial blow dry, and using a lease in that makes the hair smooth. Using this method I am able to get my hair straighter and bouncer than any salon I've ever gone to.

I just came across this thread searching for people who color and this thread caught my eye. I would like to know where are you ladies finding these salons that will do hair right? I have had less than stellar results from hair stylists.

I agree with you mz. rae you don't have to go to a professional to get good results. Before I tried the salon thing I was going to a family member who could whip my hair into shape. She retired. Well, needless to say I'm doing my own hair now.

During my chemical days the salons would fry my hair, for weaves they would braid so tight I would develop sores or I would tell them to track my braids small, they would track them big. After a wash a couple of them struggled to comb my hair out, some consistently advise me to get a perm to make the comb out easier (I'm a 4c) and the list goes on. Disappointed with the results I decided to do my own hair and that's when I found this site 3 years ago.

I love the intimate connection with my hair now. It can at times be time consuming, but my hair has never been this full or this long (almost BSL).

When I press or flat iron I use Aloe Vera Gel (98-99% natural) and get an amazing press, it works as a heat protectant too! No pics to show at this time tho as I won't be pressing again (been doings wigs since summer) til Dec. when I do the BSL 2013 check.

I just came across this thread searching for people who color and this thread caught my eye. I would like to know where are you ladies finding these salons that will do hair right? I have had less than stellar results from hair stylists.

I agree with you mz. rae you don't have to go to a professional to get good results. Before I tried the salon thing I was going to a family member who could whip my hair into shape. She retired. Well, needless to say I'm doing my own hair now.

During my chemical days the salons would fry my hair, for weaves they would braid so tight I would develop sores or I would tell them to track my braids small, they would track them big. After a wash a couple of them struggled to comb my hair out, some consistently advise me to get a perm to make the comb out easier (I'm a 4c) and the list goes on. Disappointed with the results I decided to do my own hair and that's when I found this site 3 years ago.

I love the intimate connection with my hair now. It can at times be time consuming, but my hair has never been this full or this long (almost BSL).

When I press or flat iron I use Aloe Vera Gel (98-99% natural) and get an amazing press, it works as a heat protectant too! No pics to show at this time tho as I won't be pressing again (been doings wigs since summer) til Dec. when I do the BSL 2013 check.

I didn't know that Aloe Vera Gel was a heat Protectant. Can't wait to see your pictures! What type of pressing comb do you use?

Beautifulwildflower The best way to find a good stylist is to approach women with beautiful hair. Natural hair that's pressed has a different sheen than relaxed hair. I'm sure most of us can spot it right away. I'd just ask those women where they get their hair done and then make an appointment. If you have good results then that becomes your regular stylist. If not then you keep looking. The key is seeing their work first.

I'm wondering if it is possible. I hear that Paul Mitchell Super Skinny has that effect. Do you have any techniques or products that you use to get movement?
AstroQueen77, I'm not natural but I'm texlaxed and 12-13 weeks post :look:, so count me as transitioning for the purposes of my comment. I just did a bunch of research on the Design Essentials Strengthening Treatment and I think parts of the system might be helpful to you.

There are three pieces to the system: the transitioning mousse (for naturals who wear their hair mostly straight or transitioners), the elongation mousse (for naturals who wear their hair mostly kinky/curly), and the silkening spray (for relaxed heads who want a bite-sized version of the system). It's based on amino acids, cysteine to be exact (fyi, the amino acid that's depleted after a relaxer). The idea is that they fortify the strand while adding weight (and swing). The first two, the mousses, last for 12 wks until they wear off. The spray is meant to be a weekly thing, or whenever you straighten. They specify that you only need to do 2 passes at 340- 400 degrees, which I liked.

Now, the thing is, it's hard to find since it's professional only. :rolleyes: The mousses, when purchased by someone who is not a stylist, seem to run around $167 for 8 oz of product, of which you use 2 oz per treatment. Salons do it, but they seem to charge around $150. The silkening spray, otoh, is $39.99 on sale at Paynes Beauty Supply (they're black-owned and online). That's what I bought, but from what I gathered, if you wanted either mousse, they might be able to get it for you. :sekret: :lol:

Neither mousse will leave your hair straight when wet. You still have to blow-dry and style with heat, but naturals report that their curls feel heavier and therefore slightly elongated, but no noticeable difference and, again, it wears off in 12 wks or less. The spray, like I said, is a week-to-week deal. It's the spray I would recommend. I should be receiving it soon so I can give a review if you want. If you want to look into it further, Design Essentials has a five or six-part youtube series about it AND an hour long discussion with two stylists, one of whom is a natural type 4 who tested the product for the company on both clients and herself. Actually, in the video, she's wearing a puff so you can see kinda how little it messes with your texture.

Hope that was helpful to somebody. I typed a daggone novel. :drunk: :lol:

Yep this is similar to the one my stylist uses. It looks like a little silver portable oven that you can place the comb into. After she does the full press, she goes back through with a big barrel curling iron to bend the ends. Never used a flat iron on me except for the time the handle was broken on her pressing comb. She does use the flat iron on her relaxed clients though.

:yep:This is what I was thinking was still being used for a press. The stylist has to be really skilled and experienced to know how to use these tools. The flat iron is no comparison.......totally 2 different methods.

My stylist starts with a flat iron and finishes with an old school marcel iron pressing comb.

I use a flat iron at home. I tried electric press comb and it ripped my hair. So I didn't use it anymore.

I could not think of the name.....but that is it!

So have any ladies on here that straighten their hair regularly been able to retain length? I keep feeling like the only way to retain length is in wearing it curly, but I prefer straight hair. I know when I was natural in the past and in high school my hair just stayed at shoulder or arm pit length. But back then I didn't properly take care of my hair and it only got washed and straightened once a month at the salon. So I was just curious to know.

So have any ladies on here that straighten their hair regularly been able to retain length? I keep feeling like the only way to retain length is in wearing it curly, but I prefer straight hair. I know when I was natural in the past and in high school my hair just stayed at shoulder or arm pit length. But back then I didn't properly take care of my hair and it only got washed and straightened once a month at the salon. So I was just curious to know.

I get my hair pressed once a month (with the exception of summertime) and the rest of the month I rollerset. Started off with a chin length bob 2 years ago and now I'm closing in on bra strap length. For my hair, it's really not about the heat but moreso about how much I manipulate it. The less I mess with it, the more strands I keep on my head.

From the time I was around 9 up until I was 20 (and got my first relaxer) I used to get my hair pressed every 2 weeks in my neighbor's kitchen with the old school oven top hot comb. In between pressings, it would be in a ponytail cause I was a straight tomboy! At the time my hair was touching my belly button. After I joined the military, I relaxed and cut it cause I was going through my "Halle Berry" phase. lol I believe I achieved that length only because I wasn't messing with it alot.

What is regular to you?

I get my hair pressed once a month (with the exception of summertime) and the rest of the month I rollerset. Started off with a chin length bob 2 years ago and now I'm closing in on bra strap length. For my hair, it's really not about the heat but moreso about how much I manipulate it. The less I mess with it, the more strands I keep on my head.

From the time I was around 9 up until I was 20 (and got my first relaxer) I used to get my hair pressed every 2 weeks in my neighbor's kitchen with the old school oven top hot comb. In between pressings, it would be in a ponytail cause I was a straight tomboy! At the time my hair was touching my belly button. After I joined the military, I relaxed and cut it cause I was going through my "Halle Berry" phase. lol I believe I achieved that length only because I wasn't messing with it alot.

Thank you! I've been trying to implement just straightening my hair, wearing it down over the weekend, and then bunning or braiding the rest of week. My hair seems to thrive natural when worn straight and it's just easier for me. I may look into rollersetting as well, not sure how it was going to work out for my hair.

I've been straightening once or twice for the last few months and I have been retaining greatly. I should be apl by the end of the year fingers crossed!

I've been straightening once or twice for the last few months and I have been retaining greatly. I should be apl by the end of the year fingers crossed!

Aww Yay!!! I'm so happy for you!! :-) what's your regimen?

I've been natural for several years now and cut my hair back in a chin length bob several years back. Once I decided I wanted to grow it out, I was able to get to APL pressing it every two weeks. I didn't know about PS or moisturizing and sealing. I was, however, doing steam treatments, covering my hair at night with silk, and not using heat in between pressing because my stylist recommended it.

I feel like my hair stalled at APL. That's how I found LHCF. I started bunning and saw good length retention. Then, I've rocked braids twice this summer, so I've had 2 ten week stretches without any heat at all.

I realize 'round these parts twice a month heat is a lot of heat, but that's shockingly minimal compared to the vast majority of women, of any color, who have more than an inch of hair to style. I think because so many women were heat junkies, using it every day, when they start their HHJ they swing to the other extreme and swear off heat for years at a time. No heat will definitely help with retention, I'm just not sure how realistic an option it is for many women who like straight hair.

@Beautifulwildflower The best way to find a good stylist is to approach women with beautiful hair. Natural hair that's pressed has a different sheen than relaxed hair. I'm sure most of us can spot it right away. I'd just ask those women where they get their hair done and then make an appointment. If you have good results then that becomes your regular stylist. If not then you keep looking. The key is seeing their work first.

Good thought.. the only problem is most of the women were I live are in weaves or their hair is quite shorter than mine. I'll keep looking, however til then I'm my natural hair stylist:yep:.

Good thought.. the only problem is most of the women were I live are in weaves or their hair is quite shorter than mine. I'll keep looking, however til then I'm my natural hair stylist:yep:.

I understand your frustration. There are a zillion hair salons in Atlanta but really good stylists are still hard to find. One day you'll see a woman with beautiful pressed hair and your eyes will get big like you just spotted a unicorn. :lachen: Once you get that stylist's number it will all be worth the wait. Until then enjoy being your own stylist. It really does save a lot of money.

I can so agree about a good stylist being hard to find! I'm in the search for a new one myself, I tried getting in contact with one today that was recommended on here, but she hasn't returned my call yet. I just called another salon could barely hear her when she answered the phone and the stylist I was looking for wasn't in. But based on how the lady answered the phone not sure I want to even bother going there. There is one another salon I want to look at, after that I give up and maybe will just go to who I've been going to since I was little kid. But I feel I have outgrown her (didn't really like her new technique for straightening natural hair) and want to find a different stylist. And I feel like now that I am back natural I have the flexibility of trying out different salons, when I was relaxed I wouldn't even think of going anywhere else for fear my hair would drop out to some chemical reaction. :-\

Last edited:
I agree a press give me more swing than a flat iron. But my hair is fine so a press makes my hair look thin. this was from some time last year after a trim and a press.

1381355629410.jpg

Back