Natural/Organic Leave In Conditioner

Country gal

Hey, Ladies, I am having hard time finding natural leave in conditioner. Any suggestions? I am trying to use more natural products since I use leavin everdyday, I would prefer a natural one.

Giovanni direct leave-in conditioner is pretty good, I think. I bought a sample size and tried it this morning. I like it so far. They sell it at Whole Foods.

have you tried J/A/S/O/N natural leave in conditioners? heh, im not sure if they make leave in conditioners though. but they should.............

GIOVANNI DIRECT Leave-in Conditioner

On the bottle it states :
Enriched with Certified Organic Botanicals
No Animal By-Products
Cruelty Free
----restores strength, luster and nourishment to hair
----moisturizes and builds body
----detangles for easy comb-out easy styling

GIOVANNI DIRECT is my "official" leave-in conditioner---I love it--You can purchase it at THE VITAMIN SHOPPE either on-line or at one of their stores. :)

Cichelle said:
Giovanni direct leave-in conditioner is pretty good, I think. I bought a sample size and tried it this morning. I like it so far. They sell it at Whole Foods.

Yeah---another Giovanni Direct Leave-in user ! :)

Dolapo said:
what are the ingredients of the giovanni leave in?

The ingredients are:
Purified Water with Rosemary Oil
Nettle Oil
Thyme Oil
Birch Leaf Oil
Chammomile Oil
Clary
Lavendar
Coltsfoot Leaf
Yarrow Oil
Horssetail Oil
Soybean Protein
Vitamin E
Grapefruit Seed
Trace Minerals
Citric Acid (Corn)
Sodium Hydroxymethylgycinate
Then at the bottom of the ingredients list it has *Certified Organic
GIOVANNI ORGANIC Hair Care

I recommend Gary Null's Heavenly Hair Repair conditioner. Yesterday I used a little as a leave in and this morning, after rinsing with plain water, and I again used a little as leave in,then put my hair in a wet bun, and went to work. Tonight when I took my bun down to comb and plait my hair I had some serious SLIP couldn't believe it :eek: :grin:. I'm not exaggerating. I'm planning to use this conditioner only as a leave, it's too expensive ($17.95 if it's not on sale, for 8.5 oz) to use as a regular conditioner on my thick hair. I just use a drab (size of a dime) on each of my 8 plaits.

I had this all along and I never used it until I dumped my other products and had nothing else to use, go figure!

Last edited:
taraglam2 said:
The ingredients are:
Nettle Oil
Thyme Oil
Birch Leaf Oil
Chammomile Oil
Clary
Lavendar
Coltsfoot Leaf
Yarrow Oil
Horssetail Oil
Soybean Protein
Vitamin E
Grapefruit Seed
Trace Minerals
Citric Acid (Corn)
sounds good. ok, sorry im asking so many questions, how much is it?

If I remember correctly, you can get it at the Vitamine Shoppe for around six dollars. That's online, but I'm sure you can find the same or similar price in the store. They also sell it at Whole Foods, but it's a bit more expensive. You can get a trial size there for two dollars and give it a try before you spend more money.

taraglam2 said:
The ingredients are:
Nettle Oil
Thyme Oil
Birch Leaf Oil
Chammomile Oil
Clary
Lavendar
Coltsfoot Leaf
Yarrow Oil
Horssetail Oil
Soybean Protein
Vitamin E
Grapefruit Seed
Trace Minerals
Citric Acid (Corn)

Looks good and natural. :grin:

Dolapo said:
have you tried J/A/S/O/N natural leave in conditioners? heh, im not sure if they make leave in conditioners though. but they should.............

Hopefully Black cardinal should chime in with an answer. I haven't seen a leave in in the stores I checked.

Product marketers will say natural on the label but are not really natural. If the product has too many un recognizable or pronouncable ingredients than I avoid it.

mzjones said:
I recommend Gary Null's Heavenly Hair Repair conditioner. Yesterday I used a little as a leave in and this morning, after rinsing with plain water, and I again used a little as leave in,then put my hair in a wet bun, and went to work. Tonight when I took my bun down to comb and plait my hair I had some serious SLIP couldn't believe it :eek: :grin:. I'm not exaggerating. I'm planning to use this conditioner only as a leave, it's too expensive ($17.95 if it's not on sale, for 8.5 oz) to use as a regular conditioner on my thick hair. I just use a drab (size of a dime) on each of my 8 plaits.

I had this all along and I never used it until I dumped my other products and had nothing else to use, go figure!

Update (07/26/05): It wasn't the GN conditioner that gave the slip. Two days later, after daily washings, the super slip was gone and I've been trying to regain it every since. That's when I learn it wasn't the GN that gave me the slip (great moisturizer, but no major slip). This week however, after re-reading my journal entry for that weekend, and recreating the experience using my homemade amla oil, I learned that my amla oil was the source. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
What's this: Sodium Hydroxymethylgycinate it doesn't sound very natural.

Never mind: Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate is a broad spectrum antimicrobial that is active against Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, yeast and mold. It is used at extremely low concentrations between .1% to 1% at the most. It is active at all alkaline pH levels as well as acidic conditions. It acts for both preservation and neutralization, which means it can be used in place of TEA (Triethanolamine) or Sodium hydroxide. It is synergistic with other Preservatives. There are no ingredients used in cosmetics that render sodium hydroxymethylglycinate non-effective. Sodium hydroxymethylgycinate is derived from glycine, which is a naturally occurring amino acid. Traditionally glycine was used a texturizer in cosmetics. It is an amino acid classified as nonessential. Glycine is made up of sweet-tasting crystals, it is used as a dietary supplement and as a gastric Antacid. Amino Acids are widely used in cosmetics because they help penetrate the skin. This preservative can react with certain Essential Oils, specifically citrus and mint oriented. The reaction can cause your product base to change colors, but does not effect the effacacy of the preservative. Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate in aqueous solution decomposes to sodium glycinate and Formaldehyde. Glycine is an essential amino acid, and does not appear to be harmful. So, the regulation of sodium hydroxymethylglycinate as total Formaldehyde should not give any additional safety problem to consumers, as long as the maximum authorized concentration of this compound is maintained.

Last edited:
:lol:
No, Jason doesn't have a leave-in unless you count the liquid one in their Shaman Earthly Organics line. I've tried it and it made my hair dry (it has witch hazel in it--what was I thinking??).

BUT--if you dilute some Jason con in a spray bottle, voila! Leave-in conditioner! :lol: Seriously, though, I tried it with the Lavendar con and it is superb for days when I don't con wash but want to wet my hair.

Still, for creamy leave-ins, Giovanni takes the cake :yep:

aveda elixir...oyin honey hemp conditioner...any of your natural conditioners watered down in a spritz bottle

I haven't tried it yet, just bought it but Treasured Locks has an "Herbal Leave-In Conditioner" that's 100% Natural. According to the label it has:

-No Sulfates
-No Parabens
-No Synthetic Thickeners
-No Animal Products
-No Animal Testing

and the ingredients are: Infusion of Rosemary, Sage, Nettle, Oatstraw, Burdock Root, Horsetail, Peppermint Leaf, Lemongrass and Lavendar Flowers in Purified Water with Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)

It's liquid and is in a spray bottle

I just started using Giovanni too! I mix it with some coconut oil to thin it out. It gets the job done very nicely and not too many crazy chemicals in it.

Back