Natural or ____laxed?

What type hair are you sporting these days?

• Total voters

LovinLocks

Natural or re/tex/laxed/urized?

I'm curious about the state of hair here. Are you natural or relaxed?

It is my understanding that sodium hydroxide in the hair is a relaxer (at least that's what they teach in the cosmetology schools in this area). :rolleyes: Has that changed-I may be behind the times? I had never heard of "texlaxing" until joining here last week. What is it anyway? Does it not use chemicals? Oh, I just found this quote via Google (which was taken from this forum) ~ "Texlaxing is using whatever relaxer you choose, but only leaving it in for about half the time and not smoothing the relaxer. " So, if this is accurate it is a relaxer, a chemical-based procedure.

My interest here is in how to keep natural hair healthy and growing. And, I need to make sure I am reading posts to that affect.

Last edited:
A texlaxed person isn't natural :nono:

Texlax just means that we use a regular relaxer to get texturized. In the majority of cases, that means leaving it on for much less time. Texturized and texlaxed are pretty much synonymous.

Just a tip...

It's good to take advice from EVERYONE here, natural or not.

There are some very knowledgeable ladies here, it would be a shame to waste it just because they are relaxed or have a different hair type. Take what you can use, but don't be so quick to completley dismiss someone just because their hair is different from yours. :yep:

Re: Natural or re/tex/laxed/urized?

It is my understanding that sodium hydroxide in the hair is a relaxer (at least that's what they teach in the cosmetology schools in this area). :rolleyes: Has that changed-I may be behind the times? I had never heard of "texlaxing" until joining here last week. What is it anyway? Does it not use chemicals? Oh, I just found this quote via Google (which was taken from this forum) ~ "Texlaxing is using whatever relaxer you choose, but only leaving it in for about half the time and not smoothing the relaxer. " So, if this is accurate it is a relaxer, a chemical-based procedure.

My interest here is in how to keep natural hair healthy and growing. And, I need to make sure I am reading posts to that affect.
the process is called texlaxing because you still retain a lot of your natural texture while using a relaxer. It's simply to differentiate from bone straight regular relaxing from relaxing while purposefully underprocessing to retain texture.
texture+relaxer=texlax
there's been a couple extensive threads on the matter already

This is LHCF and because we've had many recent discussions about this I can truly say that great advice can come from a natural head or a relaxed one.
Take what you need and leave the rest! Happy Hair Growing:grin:

I am relaxed because I put a relaxer in my hair. However, when I talk to my ladies on the hair boards I will always say that I am texlaxed because that information will help them to understand what state my hair is in and my personal styling options or how my hair may be different or similar to theirs concerning product use, regimes, hairstyles, etc.

I really appreciate when ladies who are texlaxed say so because these are the fotkis and post I seek out when I am looking for new ideas for my hair.

BTW ITA with the other posts. You can find great ideas from anyone. Everyone's hair is different so you never know how your hair will react to something new until ou try it. HHG!

I think you can get good info from relaxed as well as natural members, but if you only want to hear about natural tips, either check the title of the thread before you click it, or read through posts, someone will always have a response from a natural point of view, or if you don't want to bother with that, go to www.napturality.com. They are completely geared to natural heads. If you search, we did a census earlier this year, and it will tell you the demographics of this board, although I don't really know how that will help. I think we are like 50/50, and like I said, there will always be someone commenting who has natural hair even if there were more chemically altered sisters on the board.

I'm natural and I keep my hair healthy,Co-washes deep conditioner and herbs. Plus making myy own products use butters and oils.

I usually stick to threads that are geared towards my hair type, but I will definitely listen to everyone's advice and tips on healthcare.

I've never had a texturizer before. I never even heard of it until I started reading the forums. How many minutes should you leave that on? And how do you get your new growth to match the texturized hair? I'm just curious.

I usually stick to threads that are geared towards my hair type, but I will definitely listen to everyone's advice and tips on healthcare.

I've never had a texturizer before. I never even heard of it until I started reading the forums. How many minutes should you leave that on? And how do you get your new growth to match the texturized hair? I'm just curious.

Most people leave it on between 5 and 10 minutes, but it really depends.

Some people's hair is more or less coarse or resistant to relaxers and different relaxers have different straightening power.

Your new growth doesn't match the texturized hair.

The texturized hair and natural hair are still very close in texture, so it blends in until the new growth gets too long and takes over :lol:

I'm wavelaxed. Though I relax I have gotten A LOT of help from natural haired ladies :yep:

If the information is good and it works for you, it won't matter where it comes from.

The biggest benefit of this board would be to learn the terminology and read, read, and read some more because there is so much helpful (and valuable) information here. Use what you want, throw out the rest.

-A

It's good to take advice from EVERYONE here, natural or not.

There are some very knowledgeable ladies here, it would be a shame to waste it just because they are relaxed or have a different hair type. Take what you can use, but don't be so quick to completley dismiss someone just because their hair is different from yours. :yep:

Good lookin' out, Neith. I shall. I fought long and hard to word this thread carefully.

Relaxed. So many posts are geared toward naturals that at times i think im one of the few :look:

Ahh haa, too cute, atlien11! For a minute seems I was running into the opposite. But, Neith and the others have a good point that knowledge may come from a variety of sources. I do get that. Just wanted a mental picture of how many here were natural. This place reminds me of Shaw High On Line . . . it's addictive.

Thanks to you all for making this place what it is: a joy to be here.

Signed,

Mz. Newbie Who's Gonna Get It Right and Have Healthy Loooong Hair.

Most people leave it on between 5 and 10 minutes, but it really depends.

Some people's hair is more or less coarse or resistant to relaxers and different relaxers have different straightening power.

Your new growth doesn't match the texturized hair.

The texturized hair and natural hair are still very close in texture, so it blends in until the new growth gets too long and takes over :lol:

Thank you Neith! I think that if a stylist had given me a texturizer as an option years ago I would have taken it. Relaxers were just too strong for me and I had to stop. I have enough hair horror stories to scare the crap out of Stephen King LOL

Last edited:

They are completely geared to natural heads. If you search, we did a census earlier this year, and it will tell you the demographics of this board, although I don't really know how that will help. I think we are like 50/50, and like I said, there will always be someone commenting who has natural hair even if there were more chemically altered sisters on the board.

Hi, yes, I'm hipped to the site you mentioned (due to current goals and frame of mind LHCF is more my cup tea and only so much time in the day for surfing the 'net.).

As far as demographics and whether they help or not; lady, I think I'm still on University mentality, :look: :ohwell: :yep:. Recently graduated and am so used to numbers, stats, etc. from writing thesis. Now, I'm :lachen: when I think about that I inquired.

Relaxed. So many posts are geared toward naturals that at times i think im one of the few :look:

DONT YOU TAKE THAT PRETTY HAIR NOWHERE?! Hear me?!

OP... Try searching the board first. Some people get thier panties in a bunch when you voice that you are only seeking info from naturals or when you ask questions that have been answered 50-11 times already:lachen:. But honestly most relaxed heads here know just as much about hair care as natural heads. :yep: And the seeming majority of natural postes is just a sign of a trend.... Or maybe it means naturals post more threads cuz we have more problems... Tee hee hee

Last edited:
I get great info from EVERY hairtype on this board. Whether relaxed, natural or in between. It does not matter to me.:ohwell:

I'm relaxed, but I think this board will give me some of the support and info that I need to move away from the chemicals, without the pressure to do so if I choose not to. I like that we discuss all different types of hair types, transitions, lengths and the focus on keeping your hair healthy. Since I just joined, I have been reading ALL the threads that I can & using the search feature frequently :yep:.

i'm natural.
but i read all threads - relaxed and natural because i get lots of tips from them.
reading a relaxed thread about baggying put me up on that.

Hi, yes, I'm hipped to the site you mentioned (due to current goals and frame of mind LHCF is more my cup tea and only so much time in the day for surfing the 'net.).

As far as demographics and whether they help or not; lady, I think I'm still on University mentality, :look: :ohwell: :yep:. Recently graduated and am so used to numbers, stats, etc. from writing thesis. Now, I'm :lachen: when I think about that I inquired.

lol..I'm going to bump the thread or post it in here..something lol. One second let me find it, unless you did already?

In this forum you'll find a pretty even toss up of people with relaxed/natural hair. It's for people who want long hair in general, whether relaxed or natural. If you want a site that caters to natural hair only there's this site called nappturality. I think you'd fit in well here, though. AA hair in general (whether relaxed or natural) needs lots of moisture and love and care and we should all support one another in our hair growth journies, whether we are natural or relaxed. Oh yeah, and I have relaxed hair.

Last edited:
Back