Natural OILS penetrate the hair shaft?

HoneyDew

What do you guys think? I am searching all over to find out.

The reason I ask is because I don't really use a moisturizer, but I do use oil on my hair (not scalp).

I only use expeller pressed natural oils (not sure why but BF says they are better :confused: ) on my hair and I never have dry hair.

I only shampoo and deep conditioner twice a week. I also condition multiple times in the shower.

I use dimethicone for flat ironing on wash day.

And then I only use oil as a hair dress and for shine.

I really feel like the oil is penetrating my hair, but I have read that they don’t.

I did find this article, http://www.scconline.org/education/publications/journal_56_5.htm but what do you guys think?

Hi HoneyDew,
I find that natural oils work better for my fine strands. They seem to melt into my hair and do not leave a greasey film. Anything containing petroleum and mineral oils tend to coat my hair or roast it in hot weather.

I think they do penetrate with my fine hair better, but my thicker-haired friends don't seem to have a problem with non-natural oils.

MeechUK

I believe it's more of the nutrients/vitamins that are in the oils that penetrate into the shaft.

MeechUK said:
Hi HoneyDew,
I find that natural oils work better for my fine strands. They seem to melt into my hair and do not leave a greasey film. Anything containing petroleum and mineral oils tend to coat my hair or roast it in hot weather.

I think they do penetrate with my fine hair better, but my thicker-haired friends don't seem to have a problem with non-natural oils.

MeechUK

Well, I have thick hair, and I think when I need use the non-naturals it did not really harm my hair, but I had a problem with dry hair. I used to coat my hair with all kinds of crap and still had dry hair.

Now, I only use oil. I hear that oils only seal moisture, but it seems that they do so much more for me.

so1913 said:
I believe it's more of the nutrients/vitamins that are in the oils that penetrate into the shaft.

Good point.

I hear ( don't know if this is true) that the only oils whose molecules are small enough to penetrate the hair is shea oil. Never used it though

i felt that oil was enough to penetrate my hair, but after awhile it didnt feel like i wanted it to, i mean it looked nice and felt nice-but it was like it lacked luster, it was like dry and oily, i dont know if that sounds crazy, no body noticed but me...maybe im crazy
I just think that you always need some type of moisturizer no matter how infrequent

Back