Natural; need help improving individual twists

anniev2

(this is my first time doing all of this so i'm open for tips, criticisms, suggestions, etc.)

Today I cowashed with cheapy conditioner and I wore my hair in a pony puff. I used some Fantasia gel to twist a few curls in there so it wouldn't just look like a mass of puffy hair. Prior to that I added some Herbal Essence Long Term RElationship (LTR) to the ends..just because I thought I should. I detangled only with a shower comb, nothing else.

Tonight, in prep for work tmrw I decide I want to do two strand twists. (I realize this is NOT low manipulation). So I use a Denman 3-Row Styling comb for detangling, add a little more LTR, a little s-curl here or there and castor oil here or there.

I say here or there because I really was not consistent with it. Being that it was my first time, I was sort of scattered.

Now my twists look like twists coming out of individual TWA's. Did I do something wrong? I thought I twisted to the scalp but they're still pretty puffy. Ive seen pics of other members' twists and they look different.

What can I do to make my twists tighter at the root?
Will more of, less of or a different product help me in anyway?
Should I seal with oil as I work with wet hair or is that momre effective on dry hair?
does my hair need to be stretched more?

Any tips you have would be great. Thank u!!

My twists still look a hot mess so I can't help you that much. I will say that every time you try to do it, write down the products you use and the method. That way if it works out really well you'll know how to duplicate it.

Hi Anniev2

Since you're just starting to wear twists, a heavier gel could provide more hold. You might need to use more tension starting from the root to keep them from being puffy. Hold the two-strands of hair firmly, closer to your scalp when starting out and continue down to the end of the twist...it takes practice, but eventually you'll get the hang of what your hair needs.

(this is my first time doing all of this so i'm open for tips, criticisms, suggestions, etc.)

Today I cowashed with cheapy conditioner and I wore my hair in a pony puff. I used some Fantasia gel to twist a few curls in there so it wouldn't just look like a mass of puffy hair. Prior to that I added some Herbal Essence Long Term RElationship (LTR) to the ends..just because I thought I should. I detangled only with a shower comb, nothing else.

Tonight, in prep for work tmrw I decide I want to do two strand twists. (I realize this is NOT low manipulation). So I use a Denman 3-Row Styling comb for detangling, add a little more LTR, a little s-curl here or there and castor oil here or there.

I say here or there because I really was not consistent with it. Being that it was my first time, I was sort of scattered.

Now my twists look like twists coming out of individual TWA's. Did I do something wrong? I thought I twisted to the scalp but they're still pretty puffy. Ive seen pics of other members' twists and they look different.

What can I do to make my twists tighter at the root?
Will more of, less of or a different product help me in anyway?
Should I seal with oil as I work with wet hair or is that momre effective on dry hair?
does my hair need to be stretched more?

Any tips you have would be great. Thank u!!

Hey...I tend to twist my hair a lot so I will give my input.

For me, less is definitely more. I don't like to weigh my hair down w/a lot of products as I like my twist to feel soft to the touch.

My regime is:

On dry hair I apply a banana mositurizing mix. I then apply cheapie condish. Massage it into my hair. This makes my hair really soft.

I then get into the shower and rinse hair. While rinsing, I divide hair into 4 sections and place hair in chunky twist. I then grab 1 section at a time, apply a moisturizing condish (ex. Pantene), and finger comb. If my hair is feeling really tangled, I will detangle with a shower comb and then my denman. Once detangled, I retwist with the condish still on hair. I repeat until all sections are done.

I then lightly rinse hair under cool water, making sure not the wash out all of the condish.

Once done, I squeeze out the excess water, then wrap hair (still in chunky twist) w/ a T-shirt.

When my hair isn't dripping, but still moist, I apply and oil blend 1 section at a time. Once a section has been oiled, I part hair w/ finger and begin to 2-strand twist. 1 of my chunky section as product 5-10 twist depending on how small I want my twist to be.

I make sure to start twisting at the root of my hair to ensure that my twist don't unravel. Once a twist is done, I apply a small amt of shea butter to my fingers and roll the end of my twist.

I repeat the process until my entire hair is fully twisted.

At night, I place hair in a loose ponytail. I don't cover, but sleep on a satin pillow.

In the morning, I spritz my hair w/ my rosemary-sage mix, shake hair, and go.

At night, I apply an aloe-vera moisturizing mix to my twist and place back in a ponytail.

My twist tend to last 1 week doing this. Then I wear twistouts for about 4 days.

You can also check out my fotki album to see my twist pics.

HTHs....

Everyone, thank you so much for your responses. Like I said, any feedback is welcomed and helpful.

ooop2: i have noticed your twists in your avatar before. Lovely! Can i be like you when I grow up? Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response. I read every word and I will def try your technique. Do you ever seperate your twists? If so, how so. And thanks for referencing your Fotki. Because its not in your siggy I didn't think to look the first time i noticed those twists. Which folder should I look in. I tried several and it appears that they are empty.

empressri Yes! i watched the whole video. I hope your BFF enjoyed vegas. I loved how you were poking your lips when you combed that one section. lol That face was perfect for a "booty dance:yep: I see that you have lots of videos. I will spend tmrw looking at those. I truly appreciate people like you who spread the knowledge. Its great for us newbies. What product did you use before you went to Quhem's (sp?). Do you ever separate your twists?

Everyone, thank you so much for your responses. Like I said, any feedback is welcomed and helpful.

ooop2: i have noticed your twists in your avatar before. Lovely! Can i be like you when I grow up? Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response. I read every word and I will def try your technique. Do you ever seperate your twists? If so, how so. And thanks for referencing your Fotki. Because its not in your siggy I didn't think to look the first time i noticed those twists. Which folder should I look in. I tried several and it appears that they are empty.

empressri Yes! i watched the whole video. I hope your BFF enjoyed vegas. I loved how you were poking your lips when you combed that one section. lol That face was perfect for a "booty dance:yep: I see that you have lots of videos. I will spend tmrw looking at those. I truly appreciate people like you who spread the knowledge. Its great for us newbies. What product did you use before you went to Quhem's (sp?). Do you ever separate your twists?

Hi..Yes I separate my twist all the time. My siggy are pics of my twist separated. I just moisten my twist w/a moisturizer, then I twirl in the opposite direction of the way my hair is twist to loosen it up. Then I start the separate at the bottom. Once all of my twist are untwisted, I fluff w/ fingers.

Here is a link to my album:

http://public.fotki.com/oooop2/

Once you log into fotki, you will be able to view my album.....

On my two-strand twist I use Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner as a leave-in, I spray each section with a mixture of:

--vegatable glycerin, aloe vera juice, water, honey, and 8 drops of lemon essential oil in an 8 oz. bottle.

--Then I apply IC Fantasia gel mixed with shea butter and coconut oil to each strand before I twist.

--Sometimes I may sit under the dryer to dry my hair quicker, but usually I air dry.

Last edited:
Back