natural looking to change my hair color-can it be done successfully?

FineChyna

i tried doing a search and for some reason the search wasn't working for me (i get a blank screen)

i've been natural for 6 years now and i am dying for a change. so i figured maybe i could change my hair color by lightening the top part of my hair to a blondish brown color. something like beyonce had.

according to the hair dresser i was looking to do my hair, it can be done successfully without a lot of breakage or damage because my hair is chemical free. she also isn't a fan of relaxing and feels that one should only relax maybe 3 times a year. (wonder if she is a LHCF member?)

anyway do you think i can successful lighten my hair without damaging it? my hair has grown a lot and i would hate to have all my progress go down the drain

what products can you recommend that will help my colored hair stay moisturize and not break off? currently i use joico's super conditioning shampoo/ conditioner and that has worked wonders with my hair

thanks for your help ladies

yes, it can be done without breakage. I was gonna reiterate what your friend said - since you're chemical free, chances of breakage or damage are less. Just be sure to maintain moisture (daily) and use heat less often (if you do now)

I have a friend that has the most beautiful combination of blondes (I think the stylist used about 4 different colors) all over and her hair IS BANGIN' and healthy. She's natural 3a/b type. She uses Aveda Color Conserve and Damage Remedy.

thanks for replying.

i stopped using heat 6 months ago and do moisturize daily.

i wish i could see your friend's hair...lol i need some ideas on how to communicate what i want exactly.:lachen:

thanks for replying.

i stopped using heat 6 months ago and do moisturize daily.

i wish i could see your friend's hair...lol i need some ideas on how to communicate what i want exactly.:lachen:

I'll ask her if I can post a picture. If she says yes, I'll send it to you via PM. To give you an idea, the color gradually fades (forehead to nape) from light to darker along with some woven browns throughout. When we're together, she is always getting compliments. When it's blown out, I call her Farrah Fawcett Black:lachen: The colors compliment her skin tone. She gets it done at Aveda in DC.

wow her hair does sound fabulous. the downside is that color doesn't really seem easy to maintain when its time for touch ups

i'd be most greatful if she agrees to a pic. thanks for asking for me. :grin:

Yes it can be done successfully. I got my hair bleached with highlights a few months ago and my hair is still healthy. I do notice a change with a tad increase with breakage but not much, very little.

I just have to moisturize more. Before the highlights I never used a leave-in conditioner but now I do. I also have to get on my grind with deep conditioning with heat. I get lazy and just put a plastic cap on and lounge around the house instead of sitting under the dryer for a half hour or so.

Certainly! I color my hair every 4 months. I DC a week before with a stong protein treatment and I use Redken Antisnap...I also wear my hair in protective styles during that week to allow my hair to buildup its own natural oils....

After I color my hair I immediately dc with sebastian's penetrait for an hour (or until it get hard).

Don't use shampoo for at least 2 weeks and cowashing works wonders!

I haven't experienced any breakage yet! Hope that helps :yep:

does anyone here color their hair themselves or is this something i have to get professionally done

i got some quotes and they are very expensive. :nono: and i wasn't asking for 3 different shades of colors either.

I had my hair professionally colored 2 years ago with Redken products. The stylist highlighted parts of my hair only a few shades lighter than the natural color. It turned out really well. No breakage. I let the color grow out. Now I am just letting it grow some more before coloring again.

I've gotten highlights at Aveda twice with no dryness or breakage. I'm a 4 something natural with very fine strands

Lys

Back