Natural ladies, how to deal with humidty?

jewel

I just wanted to ask you ladies what have you been doing to your hair to save it from the humidity?
My hair feels extra dry and seems to frizz alot easier. I quess i could spritz it more throughout the day. Is there a particular product that could help?

Thanks

I really haven't had a problem with humidity and I'm surprised because there's no air conditioning where I work and the temperature has been near 100 outside so it's a lot hotter in the building. I spray my hair in the morning with either a leave in conditioner,s curl, or a braid spray and then a few hours after I get home from work I spray my mtg mixture on my scalp, oil it if necessary and then spray whatever I used in the morning on it again. My hair stays moisturized pretty well.

It's been holding up pretty well but I try to spritz it with Oyin Greg Juice once a day (OR an old Oyin bottle with water and conditioner in it). :)

Re: Natural ladies, how to deal with humidty?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really haven't had a problem with humidity and I'm surprised because there's no air conditioning where I work and the temperature has been near 100 outside so it's a lot hotter in the building. I spray my hair in the morning with either a leave in conditioner,s curl, or a braid spray and then a few hours after I get home from work I spray my mtg mixture on my scalp, oil it if necessary and then spray whatever I used in the morning on it again. My hair stays moisturized pretty well.

I make my own water-based spritzes! In one I have added Glycerin & Rosewater and a teaspoon of any conditioner, mixed with distilled water, it's great. In my oil spritz I have added olive oil, grapeseed oil, Infusion 23 and lavender and rosemary eo. They both smell great and keep my hair moisturised. The measurements of the ingredients are 1:10 parts water, how you would mix a weak cordial drink. Each leave my hair moisturised without feeling greasy and I don't need to use a lot either. Right now my hair is thanking me and is the healthiest it has ever been!

MeechUK

I think the humidity is good for my hair, as far as keeping it moist. The only negative thing for me is it makes shrinkage even worse!

mahoganee said:

You got something there w/ he braid spray. I tried it once just to see how my hair would react. It was moisturized until I got home. i also do the leave in cond.and plain ol water. My hair loves this and the curls are so defined.

Humidity doesn't seem to effect my hair at all. I spray nightly with water or water & almond oil. I don't put anything on my hair during the day.

I have not had a problem with humidity. I keep my hair in twists and spritz with a water/glycerin combo in the morning and that's it.

Like somebody else said on here, braids. Or maybe cornrows..anything to keep your hands out of your hair and cause more frizz. I have cornrows and I love the simplicity of them. If it was'nt for the cornrows, my hair would be a huge brillo pad...well. maybe not that bad but close enough.

Hair goal for 2005: 5 inches past brastrap by December..trying
my darnest to exceed that.
http://public.fotki.com/Diane71
pm for password

I have humidity issues. The area where I go to school and work, the humidity is much higher than my home. So in the summer or when it rains, I end up wearing it up

It is not a problem for me. I wash and go when my hair is out. I do twists when it is really hot so my hair won't be as dry.

Three words....castor oil baby! Preferably the Jamaican black castor oil. This stuff is amazing for my natural hair.

humidity is my friend. makes my hair nice and moist. (frizz doesn't bother me so maybe i shouldn't have answered lol)

i love the humidity, it makes my hair look better i think...i try to use humectants when i can think about it so i can get as much moisture as possible from the air

Humidity is my hair's bestfriend. I wear my hair in twists 90-95% of the time and I love the way they plump up when the moisture in the air hits them!

I have a natural but over the summer here in NY I find my hair to be more moisturized b/c of the humidity---in the winter my hair is so dry b/c of the cold air.

I would suggest trying Mayonnaise on your hair. I know it sounds crazy and I only did it b/c my homegirl didn't have any eggs when I wanted to deep condition but my hair was super moisturized for almost a week! I put the Mayo all throughout my hair and put a plastic cap on it. I would have sat under the dryer but since there wasn't one around I just stood outside in the baking sun (yes, ghetto) and my head warmed up quite nicely. Either way, if its getting dry you might try that!

Shatani said:
how do you apply it??

Well, I pour some castor oil into my hand and add some liquid (surge, oyin greg joice, braid spray, whatever) then moisturize my hair all over. My mixture is about a 70:30 castor oil:liquid ratio if I am properly explaining it. It works good for me. It also causes my 4a/4b curls to become more defined and it stays moisturized all day.

I just know not to press my hair in the summer time...watse of my money plus I dont want to slather products on my hair just so it will stay somewhat straight. Anyway when I do decide to start straightening my hair, I'll only do it in the fall and winter times where the air is a lot drier and my hair wont swell.

Back