Natural ladies: how do you apply product to your hair?

I wasnt sectioning at first but now I section in four when my hair is out of twist and slap in product that way. When I was just applying it to my hair out it was just sitting on my hair and not really penetrating.

I section 6-8,detangle with fingers,then use wide tooth comb,apply product from ends of hair then to the roots.Twists or Briad.Thats It!

Happy Hair Growing!

I section, just with my fingers, very informally. I rake and smooth in product starting at the top front and right side, moving from there to the crown, then to the back which needs around 3 sections top to bottom. To do the nape I just bend over and pile the hair above it over toward my crown, then work my way upwards in sections. Then over to the other side of my head.

I tried brushing again, twice, since so many have success with the Denman. No matter how much or what type of product is in my hair, brushing turns it into a hot frizzy mess. I had to soak it under the shower and reapply conditioner to get it clumping again. I rarely use the comb either-- I finger detangle.

Pretty much the same as everyone else in here. In sections. I then smooth it through with my fingers, as I don't comb at all.

I palm half of whatever I'm putting on and then massage/finger comb that down to the roots. I then palm the second half of whatever leave-in or conditioner I'm using and massage it into my hair lines and double coat my ends/outside layer of hair. I don't section my hair at this point, as my 3.5" TWA hasn't demanded it yet, lol.

I know it's coming though. Eep.

depends on the style ur trying to achieve. I actually section out to braid or twist and as I'm braiding each section, i moisturize that particular braiding/twisting section. That way i know every inch of my head is moisturized. It works for me. At times, i also just do 4 sections. That works well too

I used to just apply all over; however, recently I've been applying my product in sections. I have my hair sectioned off in several twists. I have noticed a significant difference (health and strength wise) in my hair. My technique is exactly like sheacocoluv on youtube as demonstrated in the following video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6EB5IlU38&feature=channel

Last edited:
All over ... then work it through in sections. My hair isn't hard to detangle so sectioning isn't too important for me.

Do you all comb your entire head BEFORE or AFTER sectioning off?

I section off a thin strip like you'd do to apply relaxer, although not quite as thin, apply S Curl from base to ends and comb through, before sectioning off another thin strip and so on. When I have a good size of moisturized hair, I braid in a big plait to keep from tangling while I work on the rest of my hair.

So I guess I finger part, apply S Curl then comb.

I detangle first, then use the denman to define my curls, with my fingers part my hair in 4 sections, then apply product.

When applying product (gel) to the back of my hair, I make sure to take that section and divide it in two so that the top (crown area) gets as much product as the bottom (nape area). When I'm done I can't use the denman again or I'll mess up my hair so I just smooth it out with my fingers, shake my head a little bit, and leave it alone till its dry.

Almost exactly what BostonMaria said, except I probably divide into 6 or 7 sections...

Shampoo: IN sections.
Conditioner (after a Poo) or co-wash: In Large sections.

If I have time, I will braid the sections, but I usually do it by hand while I am applying it....I do it really fast!

For a DC on dry hair, I use the relaxer method to apply the conditioner! Its more time consuming (about 30+ minutes), but I do long DC's now, and now that my hair is longer, man you can surely miss some areas.....AND it gets more of the product on the hair.....You don't have to use a lot more of the product, but the results are longer lasting.
Ultimately sectioning hair is key!

HAVE to section to add stuff like condish and any product thicker than a spritz... or else the product will only be on my ends.

I section into maybe 10 - 15 and twist as I complete applying the product.

Thanks for the reminder, ladies. I only bc'd last week and stopped doing sections for some odd reason. So today is a hair day and I'm back on it :yep:.

i do everything in sections, it has saved me so much hair.
its time consuming, especially applying the dc using the relax method but the results are worth it.

If my hair is wet, I put product on the ends first, then the edges and the middle. The majority of the time, I don't use sections on my wet hair. If my hair is dry, I do anywhere from 2-14 sections of pin curls, bantu knots, or twists depending on the style I want to acheive.

I do everything in five sections, mainly because of the texture differences of my hair. Two sections in the back (where the texture is "loose," doesn't require alot of product). Two in the front (less "loose" but more fine and require gentler manipulation and alil more product) and one in the middle (tangles easily, coarse and requires the most product). This way I meet all my hair's needs and the look of it is more uniform.

I section my hair and apply product on wet/ damp hair from my spray bottle with water & veggie glycerin and coconut oil or a quick head dunk in the shower, but not to soak. I finger comb it in mainly just smoothing each section esp he ends until the hair is well moisturized. I never comb/ detangle until wash day with a head full of condish and under running water for the ease of it. HTH

Guess I should be concerned about overall moisture :blush: but the only time I moisturize in sections is when I'm doing braids for a braidout. I usually conditioner wash in the shower, detangling with conditioner, smoothing my hair back into a bun while still in the shower (or at least all going back in the direction of the bun). When I get out, I apply leave in concentrating on my ends and the top part of my hair where I intend to apply gel. I apply more leave in to the ponytail part, seal with oil before twisting/tucking.

If I divide in sections after conditioner washing, I disturb the direction my hair is going, have to deal with more tangling, and my hair has already started to dry/shrink. HTH

Back