Natural hair.....What's the first step to getting back my moisture (PIC)

foxxymami

Hi ladies,

I took my twists out after some months and finger detangled my hair out. It looks like this (its dry) (excuse the blur face :look:):

wildhair-vi.jpg

This is my first week back on the hair board in some months :blush:. And I think I need a refresher. I'm thinking I should do this...

1. Detangle first before washing. Haven't decided if I will dry detangle or use conditioner

2. Shampoo with a clarifying shampoo (Aloe Rid) to remove the build-up that I know is there

3. Shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo (CON) to put back in some moisture

4. Apply a deep penetrating moisturizing treatment (?), let sit for 10 minutes

5. Comb through wet hair full of the moisturizing treatment, then rinse with cool water

6. Apply leave-in moisturizer (Motions)

7. Seal with an oil (?)

Is this too much or too little product use/manipulation?
Also, where I have "(?)", I don't know what the best brand/type to get.

I'd detangle with conditioner, do your washing process, and then give yourself a DC - at least an hour or two, overnight or with heat/steam would be even better, and then the rest sounds good, too.

I really like castor oil for sealing. :yep:

I'd detangle with conditioner, do your washing process, and then give yourself a DC - at least an hour or two, overnight or with heat/steam would be even better, and then the rest sounds good, too.

Hey thanks Kiya, what do you use for DC?

I think I'm going to do it either tonight or tomorrow :drunk:

Yep i was going to say the same thing. Definately detangle with conditioner in and make sure you do a DC.

Try to wash your hair in sections, the will help reduce the opportunity for tangles.

Hey thanks Kiya, what do you use for DC?

I think I'm going to do it either tonight or tomorrow :drunk:

Heh. I'm a mixtress, but my base is always Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Conditioner - I love the stuff, and so does my hair. If you wanted to use that, maybe add some honey to it to give it an extra juicy burst of moisture :lick:

There's also the caramel treatment that I use a good bit, but it's homemade :lick:

After being put away for so long, you hair needs strength AND moisture. I would do a quick protein treatment - like Aphogee 2 minute, and then follow with a moisturising DC. I like to use cheapies as a base like Pantene Relaxed and Natural or Suave Coconut, and then throw in some moisturizers like honey, olive oil, glycerine and a pinch of salt to get your moisture back. :yep:

I don't know if you need to shampoo twice? I have my doubts about moisturising shampoos, but that's just me. If you clarify and get all the gunk out, your moisture will come from the DC.

Everything else sounds good! Be patient and gentle.

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

I took my twists out after some months and finger detangled my hair out. It looks like this (its dry) (excuse the blur face :look:):

wildhair-vi.jpg

This is my first week back on the hair board in some months :blush:. And I think I need a refresher. I'm thinking I should do this...

1. Detangle first before washing. Haven't decided if I will dry detangle or use conditioner

2. Shampoo with a clarifying shampoo (Aloe Rid) to remove the build-up that I know is there

5. Comb through wet hair full of the moisturizing treatment, then rinse with cool water

7. Seal with an oil (?)

Awhile back Sareca gave me advice on moisture. So...these are her words via me...:yep:

Here are the products I use for intense moisture:
Aveda DR conditioner (not the treatment)
Aveda Brilliant conditioner
JOICO Intense Hydrator
Nexxus Humectress

Get any one of those and coat your hair when it's dry.
Saturate a small hand towel with water.
Put it in the microwave for 1 minute (it's gonna be really really hot!)
Wrap it around your hair (avoid your forehead and nape)
Wrap a (dry) bath towel over the top and leave it for 30 minutes.
Rinse
Coat your hair in your favorite oil
Rinse with warm water
Slightly towel dry
Massage in more of the same conditioner you used to DC.
Rinse with cold water
Towel dry
Style as usually.

Joico and Humectress are the least expensive
Aveda DR works the best.

Also if your hair isn't holding moisture it could need more protein.
Doesn't make any sense... I know.
Aveda DR treatment
Silicon Mix are my favs

BTW I know u weren't showing this pic 4 that reason but I love the way ur hair looks - it looks very fluffy.

Elucence- Extended moisture repair and Moisture Balancing Conditioner are very good. Speaking of Sareca, her Don't sleep on oil rinses threat talks about easy pre-poo detangling. You might check it out.

I agree with JustKiya. I just took down my kinky twists yesterday and I detangled first and then dc'd overnight with a caramel treatment. It's airdrying as I type.

I would DC overnight. I usually detangle and then apply a DC, Sleep on it and then start the washing process in the morning. So I guess it could be like a pre poo?

Hi ladies,

wildhair-vi.jpg

7. Seal with an oil (?)

Lots of good advice given..I could not tell you because I get it wrong sometimes..but the shape and 'fall' of your hair is wonderful.

Back