Natural Hair Salon Prices are Expensive

Country gal

I am so surprised that getting my natural hair would cost me so much money. This stylist I talked to today says for me to get 2-strand twists it will cost me $80 :confused: . It just seems taking care of natural hair is so expensive. How much do you ladies pay for your natural styles?

I know what you mean, that's why I started learning how to style my own hair. I remember I use to pay $40 for cornrows, now I do them myself

yeah, its no better around here....everyone raves about jill scotts salon (duafe) but i cant be paying all that money!!! :(

Shatani- how much are the prices quoted in her salon? I may have to just get braids.

Shatani said:
yeah, its no better around here....everyone raves about jill scotts salon (duafe) but i cant be paying all that money!!! :(

i forget the exact prices, and they dont seem to have them on the website....but i know its A LOT for just simple two-strands....the only thing i would go there for is color...thats something im willing to pay to have done right....

Nefert- Your hair looked good at the last LHCf meeting. Remember I wanted to touch it but didn't because that is not cool. Did you braid it and set it first?

Nefertiti0906 said:
I know what you mean, that's why I started learning how to style my own hair. I remember I use to pay $40 for cornrows, now I do them myself

This is interesting. The entire reason for me to go natural would be for me to be completely salon-free! They probably are relying on the fact that many people do not know how to take care of their natural hair.

ITA.

I would NEVER pay someone to do twists when I can do it myself in an hour or so (quickie job) ...course I haven't done it in a while because I'm lazy....

I only go to the salon for a wash and set/blow out and trim, which isn't nearly as expensive as getting a "natural" style.

I haven't been to a salon in over 2 years!

I wanted two-strand twist too, so I called a natuarl hair salon and they said that it's $130 for two-strand twist.

I just wanted my first two-strand twist done by a professional, so that I could copy them.:yep: One hundred and thirty is just too much. My hair is short...and they're crazy!!!!

sbaker said:
Nefert- Your hair looked good at the last LHCf meeting. Remember I wanted to touch it but didn't because that is not cool. Did you braid it and set it first?

Hi,
Thanks for the compliment. Actually that was a result of an old Dominican blow out, i think it was 2 weeks old. To get that style, I did bantu knots the night b4, and I then ran my fingers through it in the morning.

At the next meeting I attend, I'll let u touch my hair:D

Wow, that's crazy! I remember when 2-strand twists were about $50, but of course that was some years back:cool:

tru_mind said:
I haven't been to a salon in over 2 years!

I wanted two-strand twist too, so I called a natuarl hair salon and they said that it's $130 for two-strand twist.

I just wanted my first two-strand twist done by a professional, so that I could copy them.:yep: One hundred and thirty is just too much. My hair is short...and they're crazy!!!!

$25 to $40 for cornrows.....$200 + for micros......$70 for certain weavesw and ponytale styles.....$50 for other styles with extensions. I dunno what they charge for stuff like twists, etc...

Edit: this is for a natural salon in Pittsburgh

I will never understand why people pay that much money for two-strand twists. My friend gets a wash, condition, and twists for $60 I think and I just shake my head. You can sit down infront of the tv and do some for free...and if you don't know how to do it or feel style-challenged, practice until you get it.

I think it's cool to go to the salon for pampering and a break, but everytime I need a style? I'd be broke, lol.

mkstar826 said:
I will never understand why people pay that much money for two-strand twists. My friend gets a wash, condition, and twists for $60 I think and I just shake my head. You can sit down infront of the tv and do some for free...and if you don't know how to do it or feel style-challenged, practice until you get it.

I think it's cool to go to the salon for pampering and a break, but everytime I need a style? I'd be broke, lol.

I totally agree!! In Chicago the costs of two-strand twists are insane!! $60 dollars is actually considered cheap here! I would recommend learning how to do them yourself. I am not miss style queen when it comes to hair but I started doing them 2 years ago and now I have it were they look professional. Folks ask me all the time who twisted my hair. It really is one of the easier styles to do. It may not look perfect the first few times but you will eventually get it there.

I only go to the salons for professional hair color, cuts and to get my hair straighten. Everything else I do on my own through trial and error.

Ditto to what everyone has said,
i think natural hair salons are trying to determine their prices by how much time it takes to complete a natural hair style...which is not nec. a good determinig factor- i know khamit kinks in ny charges a ton to do anything. . . go fig

Have you ladies ever considered getting your natural hair styled at cosmetology schools? We do some natural hair styling at my school, and the prices are very reasonable. I recently did a full head of comb coils on a guy for $25. He was so pleased with the results, he tipped me eleven bucks! :D

balisi said:
Have you ladies ever considered getting your natural hair styled at cosmetology schools? We do some natural hair styling at my school, and the prices are very reasonable. I recently did a full head of comb coils on a guy for $25. He was so pleased with the results, he tipped me eleven bucks! :D

Thanks Balisi...I didn't know that!

My new stylist is charging $75 bucks for the two strand twists. I wished I could do my natural hair because I would save a lot of money.

I don't know if the beauty school in my area can do natural hair styles outside of braiding.

I paid $65.00 for natural twists, I just bought stuff to try and do it myself...I'm gonna make mine look as good as or better than theirs....

When I first got two-strand twists, this girl at my college did them for $30. Another girl at my college charged me $35. Both of them did amazing jobs. But both of them were so rough with my hair.

I've since learned how to do my own. It's free and I'm not rough with my kinky tresses.

-Ebony

sbaker said:
I am so surprised that getting my natural hair would cost me so much money. This stylist I talked to today says for me to get 2-strand twists it will cost me $80 :confused: . It just seems taking care of natural hair is so expensive. How much do you ladies pay for your natural styles?

I got two strand twist in Jan, and I will never go back to that salon. The ***** complained about my hair the whole time. Some of my hair is broken off b/c she racked my hair, and my mom had to get on her.

When she first saw my hair was like 100, then when I took the back down she said 180 plus 25 for the hair.
Never again

balisi said:

great minds think alike! You can also get cornrows with extension hair at my school in NYC it's called LIBS and they charge $15 and they look very nice! You can also get other styles for a really nice price...don't sleep on us cosmetology students:lol: !

sbaker said:

Well they are getting their hustle on also. I am not shocked by what they are charging since braiding is pretty labor-intensive in terms of using the hands and standing a long period of time.

Yeah girl it is. It pays to learn to do your own hair. Just practice and slowly but surely you'll get the hang of it. It's just like learning how to do all the techniques and styles when you had relaxed hair. There's a learning curve but the results are worth it :). -- jainygirl

I called a natural hair salon last week to see how much they charged to pressed hair. She said it "starts" at $65. Based on the length and texture of my hair, it would probably be a lot more. That's too much for a style that probably won't last a full week.

i only pay time and experimentation costs cause the first time i went natural i was paying $40 for comb coils and thats just too much when you figure in gettin it redone
experiment and do your hair yourself, sometimes i get my cornrows done at the school for $20

Well, I paid $75 for my 2 strand twists plus a trim. She did a good job. I have gotten lots of compliments. I think I will go to her when I want creative styles. I will maybe get friendly with one of these talented teenagers so they can hook a sister up for $20. :lol:

Alli77 said:
great minds think alike! You can also get cornrows with extension hair at my school in NYC it's called LIBS and they charge $15 and they look very nice! You can also get other styles for a really nice price...don't sleep on us cosmetology students:lol: !
Ya know what I'm sayin'?

Back