Natural girls....

daviine

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Becasue of "scab hair" I would not know what my natural hair looks like until 6 months to 2 years later?

Is there anyone who's new growth was actually the same after the "scab hair" phase? If it differed, how--was it curlier, coilier, wavier, I don't know even know what adjectives to list there.....

Daviine,

The first time I heard of "scab" hair was when I went to the natural board. I didn't get that.

When I cut my hair down to one inch, it grew in just like the pictures of my hair when I was a toddler. Nothing came in crunchy or dry. I think people are calling it scab hair because they were so used to the feeling of relaxed hair.
confused.gif

My new growth was nothing like the hair I remembered having as a child. After a shampoo, once it dried it was hard and matted. I thought it was "scab hair" (I first read about it in a book), but now I think it was just hard water combined with the wrong hair products.

At least you remember your hair as a child....when I try to think back all I get is fuzz.....I can look back at old pictures but I always have to try to determine whether it was pre-relaxer days or post.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My new growth was nothing like the hair I remembered having as a child. After a shampoo, once it dried it was hard and matted. I thought it was "scab hair" (I first read about it in a book), but now I think it was just hard water combined with the wrong hair products.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% Sassygirl.

At least you remember your hair as a child....

[/ QUOTE ]

The picture is foggy, believe me! LOL But I remember liking the texture of my hair--I just wanted it longer. And my grandmother was card carrying member of the Hot Comb Mafia
grin.gif
--there was no way she or my mom was going to let me go outside with a "fuzzy head". My mom couldn't press hair, so when we moved away from my grandmother and my aunt, I got "took to the perm shop".
laugh.gif

what is scab hair?
when I grow my perm out my hair goes back to how it was before i got a perm (I got my first perm in 12th grade) My new growth even come in looking like my "regular" hair...it is just those darn relaxed ends!!

daviine said:
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Becasue of "scab hair" I would not know what my natural hair looks like until 6 months to 2 years later?

Is there anyone who's new growth was actually the same after the "scab hair" phase? If it differed, how--was it curlier, coilier, wavier, I don't know even know what adjectives to list there.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first of all, not everyone gets "scab hair". Some folks go right back to the way their hair used to be before the used chemicals. Mine didn't, but yours might. Everyone's experience is a little different.
smile.gif

I think part of it was the water, but I used some of the same shampoo' and conditioners that I used my first year of being natural. So that rules out products for me. My hair is more curly and much more soft than it was when I first went natural.

My curls got looser as my hair got longer. The first 4 inches were dry, but got more moisturized as my hair grew out.

I for one had to nurse my hair back to health. Chemicals, heat, and the lack of moisture took its toll. But my hair responded quickly to recovery system I designed, and now I wouldn't want any other kind of hair in the world besides mine.

Me me me!
grin.gif

Crysdon said:
Daviine,

The first time I heard of "scab" hair was when I went to the natural board. I didn't get that.

When I cut my hair down to one inch, it grew in just like the pictures of my hair when I was a toddler. Nothing came in crunchy or dry. I think people are calling it scab hair because they were so used to the feeling of relaxed hair.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... and I've transitioned 3 times in my life.

Back