Natural Fro-Hawk Help!!!! Please don't turn away!!!

phyl73

I just cut off all of my permed ends in January and wore my natural hair out for about a week or two before I got a sew-in. It's cold here and wash and gos were a no-no! Since I've been in this sew-in, I've been thinking of styles I want to try when I take it down in April, well more like the middle or end of March.

I want a fro hawk. Can anyone help a sista out? I'm going to try it, but don't want to spend the entire day doing it. I was thinking I'd get it braided up on the sides and have the top out. How would they keep the braids in so that I can achieve this look. The last picture in my siggy is the length now. It might be a 1 1/2 longer since that pic, but it's natural so you can't really tell. The front top of my hair is alot straighter than the back and bottom. Just thought I'd throw that in there in case it would have an effect on the outcome of the style.

Thanks in advance ladies!

The only thing I could think to keep the ends from coming a loose are rubberbands. However, I would not put rubberbands on each of the end of the braids. I would do this. Have even number of braids on each side, say four or five. then let them meet in the middle, place the rubberbands to hold both of them togetherthen take out the hair that is on top. Make sure you space the braids out evenly throughout your frohawk. Your fro should be able to hide the rubberbands. It should just look like the braids are lost in your fro. And have people sayyin..."WoW!!! How'd she do that?"

Thanks! That's what I want it to look like. I'm not telling anyone at work, but will just show up with it like that. I'm the minority at my job. They are ALWAYS amazed at how versitile our hair can be. I'm so looking forward to this.

I would recommend putting elastics at the end of each individual braid to get the true frohawk style. If you gather them all together it might just look like you have big ponytails pulled up. I am not sure if you might need to leave some hair out in the middle to make sure you have a nice thick "hawk."

But this is a pretty popular style. I would look for a stylist who is familiar with it and has done it before so that you don't have to worry about the details. You might also want to take a picture to make sure she knows exactly what you want.

i did a fro'hawk recently without braids. i instead brushed the sides up with some fantasia ic gel and bobby pinned it. came out nice, everyone loved it...might do it again today.

I'm going to throw this out there: how about bobby pins. I'm thinking that if you have cornrows going from the ears up towards the center of the head but stopping just far 'nuff to leave an afro, then maybe there's a way bobby pins could be inserted to prevent the cornrow from unraveling and because of the 'fro, the bobby pin could be buried out of sight. Otherwise perhaps it could be inserted in the opposite way so it's length is buried underneath the cornrow.

Alternatively, you could use side combs
41veBlaf7-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and their teeth would be buried inside the 'fro. One comb could cover a few cornrows and if you place them strategically, they'd look neat and be part of the style. :yep: Incidentally, side combs are such a useful tool for 'fro hawk. You can use them for a quick do without cornrows. Just comb out an afro, smooth the sides up and back, insert combs as needed. Bingo!

Thanks ladies!!! Does anyone have a pic I could see. I really like the idea of the hair pins or the combs. I would leave some out in the middle for thickness. This has helped alot. Thanks!

my son wore one for a while.:look: his hair is much shorter, tho- i just braided the sides down and picked out the fro in the mornings- he LOVED this hair style...you could do smaller braids on the side in a nice pattern or something and the top would be a BIG frohawk...

sorry for the low quality pic...i thought i had one from the front or side, but i took this with my camera phone and couldn't find the others-:perplexed

Attachments

• frohawk 3.jpg
    frohawk 3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 17
Back