NATURAL CRISIS! need help!!!

sweetsuccess

my roommate isnt on the board yet... so im posting her questions for her to see how the board works so she can become a member!

her hair grows especially in the front... but she just wants it to grow all around and atleast reach SL.... now shes NL.. shes 100% natural as of aug 2007

her regimen is

washing every 3 weeks (her reason: because hair is natural and tooo hard to manage) <---needs advice on how to maintain

products include:
redken smooth down shampoo/cond
follicure shampoo
curls conditioner

then blow dry with a comb
then flat iron
and finish with jane carter solution moisturizer

she would like to know what are the best products and hair care regimens for natural hair
***attached is a photo***

Attachments

• christi2.JPG
    christi2.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 60
my roommate isnt on the board yet... so im posting her questions for her to see how the board works so she can become a member!

her hair grows especially in the front... but she just wants it to grow all around and atleast reach SL.... now shes NL.. shes 100% natural as of aug 2007

her regimen is

washing every 3 weeks (her reason: because hair is natural and tooo hard to manage) <---needs advice on how to maintain

products include:
redken smooth down shampoo/cond
follicure shampoo
curls conditioner

then blow dry with a comb
then flat iron
and finish with jane carter solution moisturizer

she would like to know what are the best products and hair care regimens for natural hair
***attached is a photo***

well i'm no expert just a transitioner myself but it seems like she may be doing a few things differently from a lot of ladies on the board in general. She is leaving a lot of time in between her washes. is she moisturizing daily and making sure she removes any product build up from her scalp? Is she using heat protectant when she blow dries (which most naturals do not do with comb attachment leads to damage) and flat-irons? is she using a leave in conditioner? Is she DCing when she washes? is she washing her hair in sections to prevent tangling etc? these are some major areas that I would address first. Possibly she could utilize these threads below.

One sec I will go and get the links:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ajAMERICANdIVA
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112975
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=227753
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=196649

These should be a good start and if she wants more theres always the search feature on the site. I HTH and good luck!

I would also like to say ladykaypnyc who posted below me is one of my natural heroes and has great haircare methods and excellent tutorials on youtube!

Last edited:
Well....she needs to wash more frequently to remove bulidup, and nix the SLS Shampoo, find one w/o Sulfates, or try Baking Soda ACVs or try cowashing.

She also needs to moisturize her hair w/ a mineral oil free product

She might also want to reduce her use of heat, let her hair air dry in braids or twists or a bun, then flat iron, the back to back heat might be too much.

If thats not an option, she should try keeping her hair in protective styles to retain the length. That way, she doesn't have to deal with washing her unbound hair, and she can avoid the heat:yawn:

What she said...I completely agree, those are some really important questions:ohwell:

well i'm no expert just a transitioner myself but it seems like she may be doing a few things differently from a lot of ladies on the board in general. She is leaving a lot of time in between her washes. is she moisturizing daily and making sure she removes any product build up from her scalp? Is she using heat protectant when she blow dries (which most naturals do not do with comb attachment leads to damage) and flat-irons? is she using a leave in conditioner? Is she DCing when she washes? is she washing her hair in sections to prevent tangling etc? these are some major areas that I would address first. Possibly she could utilize these threads below.

I would also like to say ladykaypnyc is one of my natural heroes so her advice is golden!

what does SLS mean?

and thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well....she needs to wash more frequently to remove bulidup, and nix the SLS Shampoo, find one w/o Sulfates, or try Baking Soda ACVs or try cowashing.

She also needs to moisturize her hair w/ a mineral oil free product

She might also want to reduce her use of heat, let her hair air dry in braids or twists or a bun, then flat iron, the back to back heat might be too much.

If thats not an option, she should try keeping her hair in protective styles to retain the length. That way, she doesn't have to deal with washing her unbound hair, and she can avoid the heat:yawn:

answers in bold below... tia
well i'm no expert just a transitioner myself but it seems like she may be doing a few things differently from a lot of ladies on the board in general. She is leaving a lot of time in between her washes. is she moisturizing daily and making sure she removes any product build up from her scalp? no, but will start. Is she using heat protectant when she blow dries (which most naturals do not do with comb attachment leads to damage) and flat-irons? no, but will start.is she using a leave in conditioner? yes, she uses nexxus humectress. Is she DCing when she washes? not every wash, but will start.is she washing her hair in sections to prevent tangling etc? yes... these are some major areas that I would address first. Possibly she could utilize these threads below.
thanks sooooooo much for the advice, she says she'll definitly start doing these things and thanks for the threads!! theyre very helpful.

I would also like to say ladykaypnyc is one of my natural heroes so her advice is golden!

You're welcome for all the help it's my pleasure :yawn:. And definitely she should think about airdrying from now on more frequently and also maybe conditioner washing to up moisture in her routine. Now your question: SLS = sodium larethyl sulfate. It's what makes your hair feel "squeaky clean" when you wash it with most shampoos. It's also horrifyingly drying and strips hair of natural oils and moisture. This is bad for almost all afro textured hair relaxed or natural. Most only use SLS containing shampoos to clarify their hair and scalps 1x per month or however much they feel is needed. It's definitely something she should look into. I was going to recommend cream of nature but they changed there formulation so the new stuff now contains SLS but I'm sure someone else can chime in with another alternative.

I see you're in ATL so I know they have plenty of good beausty supplies there. If you can find it, I would recommend Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing (Green and White label). It's a good moisturizing shampoo that doesn't contain sulfates. I agree with the other ladies as well.

Wash more...at least once a week. And perhaps co-washing?
Comb Less - too much stress can cause her to lose length
Moisturize more - leave-ins, essential oils, water/oil moisturizers
Use less heat less often. Maybe once a month or once every 6 weeks?

Rules of a Natural girl :grin:

You're welcome for all the help it's my pleasure :yawn:. And definitely she should think about airdrying from now on more frequently and also maybe conditioner washing to up moisture in her routine. Now your question: SLS = sodium larethyl sulfate. It's what makes your hair feel "squeaky clean" when you wash it with most shampoos. It's also horrifyingly drying and strips hair of natural oils and moisture. This is bad for almost all afro textured hair relaxed or natural. Most only use SLS containing shampoos to clarify their hair and scalps 1x per month or however much they feel is needed. It's definitely something she should look into. I was going to recommend cream of nature but they changed there formulation so the new stuff now contains SLS but I'm sure someone else can chime in with another alternative.

here's something that might help her keep her regular sls poo for a minute. sometimes i like to shampoo with shampoo vrs conditioner-only and i totally forgot whose technique i learned this from but it works very well!

coat the hair with conditioner (vo5, suave, etc.) root to tip, begin detangling, sectioning or whatever you do before you wash then take the amount the regular ole shampoo she normally uses and mix half of it with water. she can also put a squirt (tiny bit) of oil if she wants.

pour the poo over the roots and scrub the roots with her fingers, the diluted poo run-off she can squish down the rest of the length with her hands while she's rinsing the poo out of her roots.

so she gets the benefits of a poo without the dryness or stripping.

or she can use CON.

or she can use dr. bonner's, very, very diluted w/about a tsp. of an oil.

When I first became natural my hair was hard to manage just because I was using the wrong products and techniques what worked for me is:
2x weekly I would do an over night DC with a mix of profectiv growth masque, hair mayo, lustrasilk shea butter chloestorol, honey and molasses (no specific amounts I just poured in a cereal bowl how much i felt like) then I'd cover my hair with a plastic shower cap over night. In the morning I'd rinse it out and co-wash with Garnier strengthen and repair or curl and shine conditioner. Each night I'd moisturize with Scurl no drip moisturizer. after the first week and half or so I started noticing my hair was easier to comb after a wash

Washing/and or cowashing once a week will be very beneficial. Also cutting way back on the direct heat. Airdry or sit up under the hairdryer if you have to use heat. Experiment with more natural hairstyles, do rollersets. Detangle with conditioner before washing, sectioning the hair in braids, and invest in a denman brush, which will help considerably with detangling and make natural hair not such a core.

Back