Natural 4a/4b experts, novices......please help me with my regimen!

sweetvi

Nonie Poohbear @ lucia mwedzi and everyone else who I may also forgotten. I'm not sure if my regimen is conducive for my hair so I'm hoping to get a review to see if I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks in advance!!

Hair: 4a/4b

Length : neck length stretched with damaged nape and hairline

Goal: healthy hair

Stats; chronic anemia but takes multivitamin

Learned so far: my hair hates protein ( started my journey with aphogee which destroyed my hair)
That my hair gets super dry fast and that's why I never could retain length and my n. Nape area is always the first to break off and is the weakest along with my hairline
Regimen: will cornrow hair underneath wigs which I will see how much growth I obtained after six months. (Hair is braided in cornrow with extension now)

Read in another forum that DPR -11 (I add rosemary essential oil)deep conditioner is protein based? And not moisturizing???
( Might change to aubrey or kenra)

Please let me know because now I understand why I may not be getting growth???

My regimen as follows;

Cowash and Shampoo once a week with HelloHydration

DC (with heat) first with dpr11. And every other week mixed with at one reconstructor

Then shampoo with the old CON moisturize

Then wash and use kimmaytube leave in!

I'm natural and I just started this regimen about three weeks now but I feel its gotten weaker (hair) and no growth??

Is this regimen okay so far and should I continue and reevaluate after three months or does it need tweaking??

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Thanks in advance!!!

ETA: I cowash with hello hydration and shampoo with old formula of CON

Last edited:
Oh @sweetvi, I'm such a simple regimen chick that I don't know anything when it comes to recommending products or evaluating them.

What I can tell you is I have avoided using Aphogee simply because I read long ago that pure protein if not used by one who's a pro in its use can cause your hair to break if not perfectly balanced by a moisturizing treatment. I learned early on that using a product that is both a protein and moisturizer (aka reconstructor) was best so that's the way I've gone and I've liked it.

Another thing I would like to mention is ammonium laureth/lauryl sulphate is a very drying product, way more than SLS, IIRC. A lot of people found SLS to be too harsh for their hair so avoid them and seek out shampoos that are free of them (Like the Giovanni line.) Since this is the main ingredient in Hello Hydration shampoo, I'd sorta be wary of using it--especially since dryness is an issue you may have.

Next comes CON shampoo--but this is MY personal experience: it made my hair hard and coated. It felt good while washing but I'd end up with hair that was hard like steel wool once dry. I stopped using it in 2004 and have never looked back.

Now I am not sure why you mix DPR-11 with a reconstructor. I'm not a fan of mixing things that came from the store as a complete product meant to be used per the directions. I feel we create problems when we take something that is stable and was made to be stable and effective if used as directed and try to be clever with our own creative ways of using it.

You say you have chronic anemia, have you checked with your doctor to make sure a multi is enough? You may need to take additional iron pills--so do check on that.

OK. So after telling you what I think about what you do, I will tell you what has worked for me. Or what I would do judging from my own experience and observations or stuff I've picked up.

I'd use a shampoo that isn't coating. Something like Giovanni 50:50 is has no sodium or ammonium lauryl or laureth sulphates. It is very cleansing (leaves scalp feeling great) but I don't find it drying. I believe by getting your hair clean, you prepare it to receive conditioning properties.

For conditioning, any moisturizing conditioner that gets good raves. Aussie Deee...p, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa.... (I no longer use heat to DC because I don't think it's necessary. I particularly KNOW it's not necessary if directions on whatever I'm using don't call for it. And I also do wonder about "bubble hair" and whether heating up my hair while wet wouldn't cause liquid to swell up inside it and cause breakage.) Now, you mentioned your hair drying super fast. You may have porous hair so a good conditioner to consider is Roux Porosity Control. Actually I really think you SHOULD get it first and foremost. Finishing your wash with a VERY DILUTE ACV solution (like 1/4 cup ACV in 2 gallons of water) will leave your hair feeling smooth.

(Since you mentioned your hair being weak, I think you should consider whatever treatment Roux has for strength treatment. Hopefully people who use the line can recommend something.)

From this point on, I would follow the advice I share in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=526649

Now, I don't know if this will work for you, but it's what I would do knowing what I know and having experienced some of the things you described and having left that nightmare behind years ago. I'm happy to elaborate on whatever doesn't make sense. But TBH, the simplest route is always the best.

Last edited:
Definitely not an expert yet, but I can no longer call myself a novice either lol. In any event, I'll try to help.

The first thing I'd suggest is that you try to determine what type of strands you have- fine, medium or thick. IMO, this will determine the kinds and types of products that will work best in helping you retain moisture while not ending up with a greasy mess. Finer strands require less manipulation and often-times, lighter products.

Once you figure that out, I agree with @Nonie- less is best when it comes to a regimen. If you've discoverd that your hair HATES protein-based products (and you must be sure of this), then become educated about product ingredients and avoid those with protein. It's that simple. That's gonna include the DPR-11 you're currently using, and possibly the reconstructor (as reconstructors are essentially equal parts protein & moisturizer conditioner). I'm not entirely sure about this, b/c I don't use them, but I believe the Aubrey Organic conditioners may also contain some protein- so if you really are protein-sensitive, you may not be able to add these to your regimen. All of this to say- start to become knowledgeable about product ingredients to avoid another set-back! :)

After that, you can just focus on building a simple, moisture-infused regimen. What you're doing now sounds fine to me...just find your staple products that work with your hair, and stick with them.

Also, 3 weeks is not enough time to see substantial growth IMO....I would give it another 3-4 weeks or so. That said, I would also not wait 3 months to observe if my current regimen was "working". Alot of damage could occur in 3 months :yep:. I'd suggest that you closely evaluate your hair after about 6 weeks of consistently sticking to your newly revised regimen.

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks ladies!!!! I did not realize I had so much protein based products in my regimen!!!! I have very fine when u mean fine and thin.... A wind can snap off pieces lol! That's why I decided to stick to cornrows for six months with weaves/wigs but in he meantime wanted to find the best products for my hair!!

I do take supplements for my anemia but that is something genetic ii will have to combat with for life lol

So I guess DPR-11 is proteing based along with the at one reconstructor

My haoir actually is soft with the CON shampoo but it does seem dry hours later

Now Imy hair does like kimmaytube leavein and it actually stays soft once after I cornrow it for a day or two

I'm really thinking of changing over to KenraMC. And following her deep moisture method followed with the aphogee two minute treatment instead of that hard aphpgee one she recommended? LadyPaniolo (will that be okay)

Thanks Nonie and bride91501 and bumping for more responses!!!!

It sounds like your hair is overloaded with protein, switching to the 2 minute instead of the 2-step, for a while at least, is wise.

Steps should be

1.Shampoo
2.Deep condition
3.Leave in

OR

1. Cowash
2. Leave in

By what you wrote above I can't tell if you're doing the steps in the right order or not so just wanted to clarify.

You don't have a moisturizer? Get 1.
And be careful with braids because if done too tightly or frequently they will just further destroy your nape and hairline.
To fill in my thin hairline I use Jamaican mango & lime medicated gro spray. If you decide to try it use it on your thinning areas and on your exposed scalp when your hair is in braids. Spray and massage it in. It feels cool like peppermint. =]

When I first started, I found the ORS products helpful. Someone told me the ORS replenishing is a protein/moisture mix as Nonie pointed out.

The Organix shampoos are sulfate free. I had success with Vanilla Silk and Coconut.

Just thinking of some things that are easy to get without becoming best friends with the UPS man.

I think though you have to do some experimentation to figure out what your hair likes best. You probably won't run into your Aphogee experience again... that brand is pretty extreme as opposed to other products that are easily available. Your hair might not like them, but most products won't break your hair off.

Last edited:
Afrobuttafly

Thanks! Where can I get this jamaican mango and lime spray? I'm using castor oil and a concoction md_lady told me about for my edges. Well I do dc on dry hair before shampooing which I learned from chinablk. I hope its as effective on natural hair

I also bought keracare humecto to use as my replacement DC because I just ran out of dpr11 so hopefully that helps

I'm also going to try to incorporate the porosity conditioner that Nonie mentioned. I'm not sure how to work it in yet!

Thanks everyone! I am going to buy a journal so that I can document what products work for me

Oh as far as moisturizers... I was using kimmaytube leave in. I did like NTM silk leave in when I was relaxed but not sure how good it is for naturals. I do like kimmaytube leave in

FYI

at one reconstructor is not a protein based product. The name is misleading. There is not a single protein (hidden or otherwise) in the ingredients.

Afrobuttafly

Thanks! Where can I get this jamaican mango and lime spray? I'm using castor oil and a concoction md_lady told me about for my edges. Well I do dc on dry hair before shampooing which I learned from chinablk. I hope its as effective on natural hair

I also bought keracare humecto to use as my replacement DC because I just ran out of dpr11 so hopefully that helps

I'm also going to try to incorporate the porosity conditioner that Nonie mentioned. I'm not sure how to work it in yet!

Thanks everyone! I am going to buy a journal so that I can document what products work for me

At your local beauty supply store or Stores like Walmart. Walgreens carries a lot of good hair products too.

My hair has always been extremely dry. A few things that have helped me retain moisture are weekly or biweekly deep conditioning (i like aubrey organics or i make my own), and using a leave-in daily. I also baggy occasionally if I feel like I need something extra. Pre-pooing helped me too. It keeps the shampoo from drying my hair out.

Back