Help with my regimen: dry 4a

UPDATE....

Well I tried the LOC method and it didn't work. i DC'ed with Queen Helene and twisted my hair and applied product in sections. The aftermath was not pretty. My hair felt very oily, it just sat on top (used EVCO) yet it was still dry. I may try going back to doing it L-C-O. Also I remember back in the day I would use a product when doing twist outs to hold the shape better one separated. I may also add that step back.[/QUOTE
UPDATE...

Have you tried adding Aubrey GPB or HR to your dry hair prior to shampooing? I section my hair add AO GPB or White Camellia each week to dry hair, put on a conditioner cap and a towel. Then go to sleep or leave on for about 1 hr. (Recently, I started adding castor oil on top of the conditioner & have noticed more of a sheen in my hair.) After waiting, I rinse out the conditioner, shampoo & condition, do a AVJ or diluted ACV rinse, air dry, and style w/whipped shea butter that has various oils. I noticed that Aubrey conditioners work better when I add them to my dry hair vs. wet...and I love both the GPB & White Camellia for my dry hair. The HR is just okay, it works better as a co-wash for me.

I have done it before. I will revisit!

Last edited:
JazzyOleBabe said:
Did you apply the products before twisting. Try applying products to each section then twist then go to the next section. Apply all products then twist.

I take a section down, apply all products in order, then twist. I pin that section up and move on to the next and repeat. Is this what you mean?

Well I have scalp problems that seem to flare with cowashing. I have residue galore after on my scalp. I was DCing with AO GPB or AO HR with EVOO and steaming, but I slacked on doing it a couple months ago.

You might need something with a bit more than just conditioner and you have to really scrub your scalp. I cowash with curl junkie's daily fix, it has coco betaine in it. I can't really use regular conditioner, it does nothing. I've even just literally used a teensy bit of shampoo just on my scalp in between full washes and had no problem.

UPDATE....

Well I tried the LOC method and it didn't work. i DC'ed with Queen Helene and twisted my hair and applied product in sections. The aftermath was not pretty. My hair felt very oily, it just sat on top (used EVCO) yet it was still dry. I may try going back to doing it L-C-O. Also I remember back in the day I would use a product when doing twist outs to hold the shape better one separated. I may also add that step back.

CurlyActress what products did you use for the LOC method? I found the method works for me, but it took trial and error to find the right combo of products.
For me its:
L-water or on wash day my water based leave in-AG Fast Food
O- EVCO
C-Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie.

Generous amount of leave in, small to moderate amount of oil, small amount of thick cream.

@CurlyActress what products did you use for the LOC method? I found the method works for me, but it took trial and error to find the right combo of products.
For me its:
O- EVCO

Generous amount of leave in, small to moderate amount of oil, small amount of thick cream.

I used:
L - Giovanni Direct Leave in
0 - EVCO
C - Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade

ETA: I fixed the products I used.

Last edited:
OP you hair appears to be color treated. You might have overly porous hair.

If I am not mistaken you need to address this problem with a heavy-ish protein to fill in the holes, then a moisturizing DC then seal with a pH balanced product/method such as a rinse with aloe vera juice to close the cuticle.

Your hair may not like coconut oil. My hair hates both coconut oil and olive oil. I could never understand even though I was doing everything right it kept turning out wrong. Dry oily mess no matter what I did. Now I use any other oil but, my hair is particularly partial to argan and grapeseed.

I bet it is, lol, and I don't know another woman whose hair isn't!!! Why have the chaff when you can have the wheat?

Fyne
Yes. That's what I was talking about. I do this at the end of my day before bed and go to sleep with a plastic cap. This helps to keep my hair moisturized. In the mornings I just put a little moisturizer in my hands then apply to my hair. I wear twist-outs. That evening I go to bed with the plastic cap on. NO twisting and my style and moisture can last up to 3/4 days before doing the nightly routine again. Good Luck honey with finding and correcting your moisture retention issue.

OP, I have the same issue with my ends. My hair is dry to begin with, but my ends, after a certain point just get very, very dry frizzy and brittle. I am now working on the ph aspects of hair.

Also, if your hair is color treated, you may not have found the right prods that work with your new hair

I moisturize my ends with warm water.apply a moisturize cream & oil on the tip..

Happy Hair Growing!

I think you may need to test your porosity levels, your hairs porosity may be high. Your hair may also not like oils, it took me loosing 3 inches of length to realize that my hair hates oils. And finally you may need to start trying out different moisturizing dc's and stay away from dc's with protein to access whether or not you're protein sensitive.

I used:
0 - EVCO
C - Earth's Nectar Monoi moisturizer

Does your hair respond to the Giovanni well? It didnt work for me (but I know lots of ladies love it). Also sometimes my hair still doesnt feel quite moisturized when it dries on wash day, but the next day Ill moisturize and seal and then it will feel nice and soft from that point on. I LOC on wash day and M&S the rest of the week.

CurlyActress what products did you use for the LOC method? I found the method works for me, but it took trial and error to find the right combo of products.
For me its:
O- EVCO

I used:
0 - EVCO
C - Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade

ETA: I fixed the products I used.

Back