NAPE IN NEED OF HELP!!!

Hair2day

My nape is......well dare I say it Bald!!! :eek: I need some help on growing this area. For as long as I can remember this area has been a problem for me. I know you lovely ladies can help me out. TIA.

I would say skip relaxers. i.e., relax the area one time and then the next time you relax, skip that fragile area. Scalp massages are said to increase the circulation in that area. Also, keep it moist, using oils and make sure that you scarf/headwrap isn't putting too much pressure on that area. That could be the culprit! HTH!

Yeah, dont relax it for a while, make sure you moisturize it extra, and always wear a silk/satin scarf/head wrap..

Thats what I can tell you.. My nape has been doing really good since I started wearing my scarf and bonnet :D

My nape area was ALWAYS a problem for me and I thought it would be shorter than the rest of my hair for the rest of my life :lol:

But, I stopped getting relaxers so often (I now relax every 3-4 months); I keep this area moisturized; I comb this area separate from the rest of my hair; don't wear tight pony tails; and I make sure I wrap up my hair at night with a silk scarf.

2yearsnape-vi.jpg

JenniferMD said:
My nape area was ALWAYS a problem for me and I thought it would be shorter than the rest of my hair for the rest of my life :lol:

But, I stopped getting relaxers so often (I now relax every 3-4 months); I keep this area moisturized; I comb this area separate from the rest of my hair; don't wear tight pony tails; and I make sure I wrap up my hair at night with a silk scarf.

2yearsnape-vi.jpg

Wow, you've made remarkable progress!!!!

I agree with everything the ladies have said so far. I had problems with my nape as well and until finding this forum believed I was just doomed to have a "nappy kitchen". I started implementing the other suggestions and about 10-12 days ago began using Dr. Miracle's nape and temple balm. I apply in the morning and in the evening as directed and have been pleased with the results. The directions only say to use for 31 days. I'll see what my nape looks like in another half a month or so.

HTH!

I agree with the ladies here. Besides stretching my relaxer to 4x per year, I stopped relaxing my nape area totally since last spring. It seems to me that the nape area is a different texture and that's part of the problem when we relax it like the rest of our hair.

So my nape is around 95% natural and I keep it well moisturized and leave it alone. It's growing very well too, I might add.

I would also suggest spraying that area with a glycerin bath nightly.

Take a spray bottle
fill it 3/4 with distilled/purified water and
1 1/2 capfuls of vege glycerin.

This helped me when I had extreme breakage in the nape area

Last edited:
Not relaxing my hair often has definitely helped thicken my nape and sides. When I relax, I always do these areas last so the relaxer is not on long there.

The hair at my nape was always dry and brittle. What really helped me was using sta-sof-fro or the one in the blue and white bottle (depending on the amount of moisture your hair needs) and hair oil. I would take my time and comb it instead of ripping through it. It definately made a big difference.

My nape area is very fragile as well. I think overprocessing the area is the culprit. I told my stylist to stop relaxing mine all together as I don't feel it's really needed. Time will tell if this is the remedy.

growwithme said:
Not relaxing my hair often has definitely helped thicken my nape and sides. When I relax, I always do these areas last so the relaxer is not on long there.
This is what helped me, too.

Because my nape was always so difficult, I thought it was coarse and resistant. It just felt that way because it was so damaged. The truth is it is fine and fragile and needs even more delicate care than the rest.

I relax it last, keep it conditioned and moisturized and it has finally evened up with the rest of my hair. MSM w/ Ester C and Biotin have helped greatly, too.

JenniferMD said:

2yearsnape-vi.jpg

Daaaaaaaang, she bussed out with the beautiful progess pics like what! Listen to this lady! She obviously know what works. Great Progress btw!

Back