Nail polish on split ends?

blue_flower

I was just over Cathy Howse's website and in her 'Hairtips' she mentions using a little bit of hair polish on split ends. I've never heard of anything like that before, so it sounds bizarre. Has anyone else here tried the nail polish tip before and how was it like?

Personally, my opinion of Cathy Howse is not too high anyway. I think she is another one of those phony people trying to tell you there solution to hair care. If she really wanted to "help" others as she say then should would just tell people the points of her book which are: don't us heat, use a protein conditioner and use a moisturizer. That's all she does and I think that she is garbage. I also do not care for many of her products either. Her conditioner is way too harsh to use on anyone's hair. Plus I don't know why anyone would want to do that to their hair every week.

But, anyway, I think hair polish on split end is silly. It's time consuming. Plus I don't think that is going to help if you are treating you hair right and if you are treating your hair right when you really don't worry about those.

HMMMMMMMMMM This one I don't know about. I've never heard of this!! I would surely need a true testimony from the board to consider this advice. I'm not saying no..... but I'm surely not saying yes!!! I think you can find another product in the meanwhile before using the nail polish idea.

I don't think I'd put nail polish on the ends of my hair. Esp so since I'm drawn more to natural methods than chemical ones.

[ QUOTE ]
brittanynic16 said:
[Cathy Howse's] conditioner is way too harsh to use on anyone's hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel that way, Brittany?

The ingredients of UBH Conditioner are:
Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Concentrate, Purified Water, Peppermint Oil, Royal Bee Jelly, Stearalkonium Chloride, Menthol, Jojoba Oil, Safflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Lecithin, Extracts of: (Papaya, Fennel, Kiwi) Tocopherol, Wheat Germ Oil, Ascorbic Acid, Silica, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow No. 5

I don't know what some of those ingredients are but I was just curious if those are the ones that make it "too harsh to use on anyone's hair."
crazy.gif
I have seen similar ingredients on some "natural" conditioners eg the Jason line so I thought Cathy's was pretty mild. Probably not as mild as a 100% natural one like GPB but still, not as "harsh" as Pantene which a lot of us have used without problems.
ohwell.gif

I dont think the nail polish thing is a good idea. it may make your ends feel crispy and brittle. if you have split ends that are that bad you probably should give yourself a small trim and protect them more with vasaline, grease or oil. If you dont have bad splits the ends will just break off on its own. spits dont slit up all the way through the hair shaft it just unravles a little and slides up sideways until it breakes off.

There are better things a person can do than put polish on their ends

No defense, but I happen to disagree with Cathy Howse on quite a few points, but this one certainly takes the cake. Beside I look at her hair and all the years that she has been growing her hair and she is not even at waist length.

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
I don't think I'd put nail polish on the ends of my hair. Esp so since I'm drawn more to natural methods than chemical ones.

[ QUOTE ]
brittanynic16 said:
[Cathy Howse's] conditioner is way too harsh to use on anyone's hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel that way, Brittany?

The ingredients of UBH Conditioner are:
Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Concentrate, Purified Water, Peppermint Oil, Royal Bee Jelly, Stearalkonium Chloride, Menthol, Jojoba Oil, Safflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Lecithin, Extracts of: (Papaya, Fennel, Kiwi) Tocopherol, Wheat Germ Oil, Ascorbic Acid, Silica, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow No. 5

I don't know what some of those ingredients are but I was just curious if those are the ones that make it "too harsh to use on anyone's hair."
crazy.gif
I have seen similar ingredients on some "natural" conditioners eg the Jason line so I thought Cathy's was pretty mild. Probably not as mild as a 100% natural one like GPB but still, not as "harsh" as Pantene which a lot of us have used without problems.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let the ingredients fool you the conditioner reminds me Aphogree (SP). When you use it you hair becomes extra hard. Personally, I feel that if you hair is breaking the last thing you should do is put a harsh protein treatment on it. A good moistuiring conditoner will do you a lot better with a mild protein treatment that doesn't dry out the hair.

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
No defense, but I happen to disagree with Cathy Howse on quite a few points, but this one certainly takes the cake. Beside I look at her hair and all the years that she has been growing her hair and she is not even at waist length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also disagree with her but I think her hair is not waist length because she has reached her natural hair length. Her hair doesn't impress me because it took so long to get to where it is at. Hair grows about 6 inch a year and she could have achieved the length she has not in about 2 years if you include the length she had when she begon. Her progress pictures reflex a different story.

[ QUOTE ]
angelsanrainbows said:
Just my 2 cents... nail polish is highly flammable. Heat & acetone or formaldehyde does not sound like a good mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point.
laugh.gif
Even stranger coz it's coming from someone who uses a curling iron.
laugh.gif

Uhmm... Cathy????

I used Cathy's conditioner and it was not hard nor harsh for my fine hair. Actually, my hair was quite moisturized and soft. As far as the hair polish thing..I think Cathy was talking about an actual hair polish or serum not nail polish...

Ok, once I read Natori's post I calmed down. Because hair polish does really add gloss. Aveda makes a really nice one. My only bone of contention with Ms. Howse is her nasty attitude. I have read replies that she has sent to various questions, and no matter how you read it, it comes off nasty. She is also very unprofessional toward the competition. And for a HAIR-GURU, for a while her pictures were down-right raggedy. As for her advice. Ok. But you can get that here WITHOUT the attitude.

I went back and reread Cathy's response and you're right, Natori. It does say 'hair polish'. My eyesight is getting worse.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Putting nail polish on your ends isn't a good idea at all. I'll just continue to trim mine every 3-4 months.

laugh.gif
Goes to show you shouldn't just believe what you read; check it out first and see if you understand it the same.
grin.gif
Thanks for clarifying that Natori. Oh and like you, I loved UBH conditioner and have ordered it twice before I decided to make my own UBH - only coz I hated having to wait for mail and to pay for shipping.

Honest mistake, blue_flower; my eyesight isn't much better so I can't talk.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
laugh.gif
Goes to show you shouldn't just believe what you read; check it out first and see if you understand it the same.
grin.gif
Thanks for clarifying that Natori. Oh and like you, I loved UBH conditioner and have ordered it twice before I decided to make my own UBH - only coz I hated having to wait for mail and to pay for shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only used her conditioner once [I wrote a review on it] but my hair has been singing its praises ever since. I may eventually try the homemade conditioner too. As far as the clarification, I was sure that she wasn't talking about actual nail polish...but I have heard of people using nail polish to seal the ends of the human hair braids [to keep them from coming down] but that's the fake hair...not your own...I'm sure putting nail polish on your own hair will wreak havoc and you might end up losing more hair than you began with..considering that you're going to have cut the "glued" ends off.

That just sounds like a bad idea...
I also don't know if I trust this woman's opinions too much b/c of how she doesn't believe in trims. I think her hair would be a LOT longer by now if she would have gotten a few trims throughout her growth period.

Thank the lord that Cathy was not talking about nail polish. she was talking about serums: Like Razac or Proclaim Glossing Polish.

I do find that her attitude is harsh
nono.gif
as a marketing major, I would not want her on my marketing team @ all.

Hmmm.. that was funny..the post went on for a minute before we discovered it was HAIR polish..but I agree with you ladies.. I don't like Cathy's attitude..i have her book and it didn't tell me anything all that new..and I DON'T like the way her hair looks! Looks like she needs a flat iron to me

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
Excuse me but what is hair polish going to do on split ends? You still have to get rid of them. Hello!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Smooth them and stick them together so they don't look split and frizzy.
laugh.gif

Back