My twists and finger coils flatten when I sleep :(

qchelle

And I would like to try wearing them out but they're flat as hell! And I fail at plumping them back up!

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Or do I just have to deal with it?

Sent from my WX445 using WX445

i think it's hard to prevent flattening when your hair is short, but how do you try to revive them in the morning?

This is something that I am not really liking as a natural.

I see why folks co-wash every day and have to use water to help pick out their hair and style it every morning. Your style gets mushed every night.

How long is your hair?

I wore finger coils when my hair was 2 to 5 inches. I used a nice firm gel to set them and put on my bonnet, not a scarf and they held well. Definitely didn't try to refresh them.

What products did you use to set them? And what are you covering your hair with?

You can see my coils in my siggy and I had those a month. They didn't flatten but after a while they did start to get a dull look after not being washed for so long.

qchelle, how long is your hair? If you don't mind the tarantula do, twists don't go flat with it. :giggle:

Or you could cornrow them and baggy and when you take baggy off and undo, you'd have dangling waves.

Thanks for the answers guys! Idk how to multi quote on my phone so bear (bare? Idk lol) with me.

I don't really try to refresh them in the morning. I just take them out and wear it as a twist out or coil out. But I would like to keep them in for once. But they look so dumbp because they have gone from being nice and plump and fat to flat as a pancake :(

My hair is between 5-6 inches stretched.

I use eco styler gel 95% of the time for the coils. But I don't use a lot. They never get hard. (That's what she said lol) Maybe I should try using more?

Nonie what is a tarantula? Lol and are you saying if I braid the twists/coils, it will be wavy when I take them out?

@Nonie what is a tarantula? Lol and are you saying if I braid the twists/coils, it will be wavy when I take them out?

qchelle, you must've missed my posts about my tarantula do. See what happened is I got the brilliant idea of wetting my twist then wearing big rollers and letting them dry in them. I went to sleep with them too (not the most comfortable night, but hey, when you wanna be cute, you feel no pain LOL). Next day I sported what I thought was the coolest do ever. You couldn't tell me nuffin. Some people at work and even strangers in the office building complimented me on the do. Little did I know hubby mine couldn't stand it. One day while discussing a messy do I had and how some chicks were looking me like I'm crazy, he brought it up and wavying his fingers all crazy above his head with a grimace of disgust he was like "That style of yours from the other day looked like a bunch of tarantulas on your head! I don't like it." Bwahahahah! :lachen: iDIED! :dead:

So behold my tarantula do--I still think it's FIYAH!
CurledTwistsNoFace-vi.jpg

I particularly loved how the front view looked:
AViewFromFarCurledTwists-vi.jpg

And yes if you braid your twists, you will not only stretch them a bit but you'll also be able to sport a braidout on twists like this:

BraidoutonTwistsJuly2006-vi.jpg

ookinglikelockbraidoutontwists-vi.jpg

[USER=191686 said:
qchelle[/USER];13999345]Oh, and I wear a scarf to bed. Will a bonnet help?

I would try the bonnet. Because you have to tie the scarf tight you are pulling it against your twist and coils. So your scarf will flatten them out. Give the bonnet a try. I only wear my scarf when I have a style I am trying to keep flat or there is too much hair to put in a bonnet.

Must be bedtime cuz I could have just said yes. :lol:

tie the scarf around the edges, but use the bonnet on top...and in the morning try spritzing with water/water&condish/aloe vera/ a liquid leave-in, and then shake your head and see if that helps.

do not wear a scarf if you want to preserve your style.:nono: i always wondered how folks wore 2-3-8 day twist outs when mine looked a hawt smushed mess after a day. when i started wearing bonnets instead of scarves my problem was almost solved.

i don't wear anything on my head when i wear twists, i simply sleep on a satin pillow case. unless you sleep like ol girl from Friday with your head propped on your hand :lol: there may be some flattening. when that happens, i just get in the shower. i take super hot showers with lots of steam and that usually plumps my hair back up. now, sometimes, my hair looks even better on the 2nd and 3rd day.:yep:

the bonnet that i made since i couldn't find one big enough in stores; i'm single so i don't have to worry about looking like an idiot.:lachen:

Attachments

• 101_1860.jpg
    101_1860.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 20
I sleep in Bantu knots with fully twisted hair- the twists last for up to 2 weeks.

For twist/braid outs I started pineapple'ing my hair and got 3 day hair. Check YouTube for tutorials.

Ok, so I braided the coils last night, and I have yet to take them out yet. I'm scared lol

I'm going to spray them with water once I take them out. I never thought of doing that before lol like duh! smh.

And I'm going to invest in a bonnet.

[USER=191686 said:
qchelle[/USER];14001107]
I'm going to spray them with water once I take them out. I never thought of doing that before lol like duh! smh.

[\QUOTE]

If you've never done this before, do it on one section as a test before doing your entire head. There are some people who can spritz their hair with water and do just fine and there is another group who when spritzing their hair with water end up with a fro. So do a test run first. And if it works out well then spritz away.

Back