My TWA Pics

You really do have the face for this style. Looks good Ms. Kenesha.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
As beautiful as always!
clap.gif
How long did you transition before doing the BC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my last relaxer on 11/25/03 and cut on 2/9/04. Although one side of my hair grows faster than the other so we had to even it to the shortest side. Then the barber "evened" it, but he was going a lil crazy!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
You look great ma! Move over Shelli...I think she's my hair twin as well! :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we definitely have that hair twin thing going on Delightfulflame
smile.gif
up.gif

I got to see your hair up close and personal. It is very becoming on you. It took a lot of guts to make such a major change.

OMG, you look adorable!
smile.gif
That is soooo cute on you, not everybody could look that good with their hair that length. I can't wait to see your progress from here. You and bubblinbrownsugar, both make me feel bad because I didn't have the nerve to do mine all at once, so I did it gradually as it grew out. But my hat is off to you. Nice look!

I've been waiting anxiously to see your pictures...[Thanks, Lengthwanted] and I just want to say it really looks good on you.

Great going Ms. K!! It looks great! I know what you mean by the natural texture not being the real shock - I felt this way too when I first went natural and did the big chop into a twa! But trust me - it doesn't last long. You hair is going to grow like mad!!! So have fun with it while it's short because it won't be for long! Then you'll have fun with it medium adn then long and then super long! The whole journey is alot of fun!!

I agree with everyone else. The style suits you Ms.K. Your BC is very striking, elegant, and chic. It emphasizes your great bone structure.

Thanks Nyambura. That's what I thought after looking at myself in the mirror this really emphasizes my bone structure...I want to take some professional pics as soon as I get some extra money and this is not something I wanted with my longer hair
laugh.gif

OH my goodness I still cant believe you cut all your hair off....what made you make this huge decision? I use to always watch your pictures and envy how fast your hair grew......wow that's a huge step it looks great.I'm also curious as to what your future husband thinks...

Hey brwnskinggirl
wave.gif

My fiance loves my hair!

My reasons for cutting and going natural are (cut and pasted from my journal & website)

Why Natural Hair??? There are a lot of reasons why I want to make the move to wearing my natural hair.

1. It is my natural hair! I mean seriously except for when my new growth comes in and I'm about to go to the hairdresser for a relaxer touch-up I haven't seen my natural hair since I was about 9 yrs old! And the feeling I get from the new growth isn't an accurate portrayal of my natural hair so I want to see it, know how to care for it, and most importantly be PROUD OF IT!!!

2. Black Pride, it seems like the masking of my natural hair texture is an admittance of being ashamed of it and thereby being ashamed of my blackness. Now, that has not been my conscious reason for relaxing my hair, but the reason why so many black women relax is because someone at one time told them (either through actions or words) that their natural hair was unmanageable, unattractive, and unacceptable! Well, I don't buy into that notion (not anymore) and I want my hair to follow what is inside of my head. I don't wanna be a hypocrite saying "Natural hair is great!" and have a relaxer in my own hair.

3. For the kids... Okay, I don't have any children yet, but when I do I want them to be natural and again I don't want to be a hypocrite telling them to be natural and I'm getting a relaxer touch-up every six weeks! Also, for any younger people that see me maybe I can be their natural hair inspiration. They can look at me and say, "She's pretty, happy, successful and she doesn't have a relaxer; maybe I can do that too!"
----------
Many black women who wear relaxers may argue this point with me, but this is my opinion as well as what can be shown through actual evidence. Though some of us (black women) have said we do not envy white women's hair for whatever reason most of us have relaxers because someone (society, family, whomever) taught us that are natural hair was unseemly or hard to manage or inappropriate or something else negative. So this is why some (do I hear most) of us got relaxers in the first place. Now a lot of us may have changed our views on our natural hair, but don't want to give up the hair we've accumulated and keep relaxing in this neverending cycle and some just say they prefer relaxed (straight) hair for whatever reason, but like Nyambura said we can't truly believe that this preference isn't heavily influenced by outside sources that reaffirm the message that blackness isn't as good as whiteness (mixedness, asianess, hispanicness, etc.)

A fellow LHCF member summed it up quite beautifully saying:
The point is not that we CONSCIOUSLY want white hair. I think that we tend to value Types 1, 2, and 3 hair...most commonly associated with Europeans, Latinos and/or Asians. Of course we understand (I hope) that there are blacks with Types 1, 2, and 3, but it's the so-called Type 4 hair that we tend to abhor, and this is the hair that is commonly and biologically associated with African or black people. Though we have trouble coming to terms with this as a collective, I'd like to think that times will eventually change as standards and concepts of beauty are slowly evolving. The more naturals we see; the more women who are confident with donning their Type 4 hair, whether relaxed or natural, the more that we can create a change. The change, however, needs to begin with us

ms kenesha, I love your hair! The short hair suits you so well. I know what you mean about wondering why in the world you cut your hair. I felt the same way sometimes when I BC. But it's growing nicely and it's healthy and strong, which is the important thing. Your finace's hair is great, too. It's good that he's supportive of your decision.

Back