My transitioning hair is getting harder to work with, suggestions?

monie20032007

Well I have been transitioning for 13 months now, but not quite ready to chop yet. This morning I wet my hair and put in a leave-in and attempt to brush my hair back into a bun. It was a struggle. The edges were a mess even with gel and the scarf method. It looked lumpy and the relaxed hair was thin compared to the new growth.

I'm back at home and I took it down. Do you all have any suggestion on how I can get my bun to lay flatter and not look as bumpy?

TIA

Are you avoiding the blow dryer?
I personally got to a point where I decided the some heat was a good idea for me during my transition.

Other than that, you may need to deep condition, detangle and then immediately do something that will stretch your hair more. Like maybe put it into 4 or 5 ponytails and then twist each - leave it that way until they dry.

PM me and we can chat privately.

For me, using a Denman brush helps clump my curls and makes my hair less thick. So my best hope, for smooth ponytails, is to brush my hair after shampooing and with conditioner in my hair. Then while my hair is still soaking wet put my hair in a ponytail and put a scarf on it.

I don't have advice (or anything you haven't already tried) for starting from completely dry hair. Maybe at least misting your hair before applying gel and tying on the scarf would help the hair lay down.

Back