My Thinning Hair Had Me Depressed But I Think I'm OK Now (Pic Heavy)

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I was REALLY depressed about my suddenly thinning hair after my last relaxer. :sad: It was confusing because I didn't see more than normal shedding or breakage but yet it appeared soooo thin in the nape. I attributed it to the layers growing in and the fact that I normally don't wear it straight but more curly where the layers blend in better. But it was still VERY discouraging to see this mess and I felt like all my progress was wasted. I usually post my relaxer update pics in my siggie but I didn't want to because of this setack.

However, four weeks after my relaxer I feel a little better and I can see that the layers were the obvious difference and after the newness of the relaxer wore off it appears a LITTLE fuller. I'm posting pictures I took yesterday so that you can see the obvious layers. I still think my nape is thinner than normal but these pictures show how full the layered area is as opposed to the nape. So if you have layers, don't let them discourage you too much. Eventually I know I'll have to cut them but not now.

Excuse the cornball shag/mullet looking hairstyle. I can't seem to curl my nape area to blend in with the rest without curling it too tight and looking like grannie smith. :spinning:

This first picture is right after the relaxer. The rest of them are about 3-4 weeks later.

Attachments

• One Week After Relaxer.jpg
    One Week After Relaxer.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 157
  • PIC-0322.jpg
    PIC-0322.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 157
  • PIC-0323.jpg
    PIC-0323.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 139
  • PIC-0324.jpg
    PIC-0324.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 135
  • PIC-0325.jpg
    PIC-0325.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Yea I think your hair looks healthy and thick, anywho cheer up your hair will get back to be how you want it to be again.

hairsnob how do you curl your hair without using heat? Do you pincurl, roll, or hot rollers?

I only use heat after each wash, only once though. Today I wore it like this again but last night I rolled it up with the hard plastic rollers and satin rollers and it looks almost the same. Then I'll wear it in a bun the rest of the week till my next wash.

These pictures are after the heat where I used my flat-irons to curl it.

:clapping: congratulations on your progress, your hair looks beautiful, healthy, significantly thicker and fuller! You’ve done a fantastic job!

Last edited:
Yeah I have layers too and it will do that as it grows. Don't worry about it and just keep protecting your hair. I know I will have to trim little by little as my layers grow out.

I think your hair look great, and what a difference from the begining of your journey.. You have great progress.. How often do you relax?

Your hair is simply gorgeous! I love the hair ornament :blush:....I think I may finally try one...not sure how to apply it, but I should be able to figure it out....

I think your hair look great, and what a difference from the begining of your journey.. You have great progress.. How often do you relax?

Thank you! I relax now every 9 weeks (I was going for 10 but couldn't take it another day) :grin: But believe me, that's a stretch for me because I used to relax faithfully every 3-4 weeks.

Your hair is simply gorgeous! I love the hair ornament :blush:....I think I may finally try one...not sure how to apply it, but I should be able to figure it out....

Thank you! The ornament is actually really simple to apply. Just remember to keep things loose as you can when you do. And it helps to have some curls before-hand to make it more interesting. I use them when my hair doesn't want to cooperate. This time I curled it to wear it all out but it looks real blah with no style so the barrettes always do the trick.

Back