my thin strands are now thick

Sally's are having a 2 for $10 deal this month on their GVP products joico K Pak is one of them
I'll check that out today, check the ingredients...that's a good deal! Is the Sally's blend the same protein technology as the K-Pak. I think the K-Pak has some kind of special technology...:lol:

(they have obviously tricked me with their marketing :lachen:)

LOL! I bought 4 of those holiday gift packs! They were half off. I bought the moisture recovery ones though and just use the reconstructor that came with it. I also have the moisture recovery balm which gives me the much needed moisture after the reconstructor treatment.

My boyfriend commented on how great my hair looked and felt without asking. I feel that Joico is responsible and makes my hair look and feel plump and healthy!:grin:

That's awesome, where did you get that deal lucky!!!

Yeah, I love Joico :yep: I use the entire K-pak line (and the Moisture Recovery to alternate). It's probably the human hair keratin proteins that are all up and through every Joico product, and they're reconstructing and rebuilding your hair. It's great for fine/thin hair :up:
You right
I heard that human hair keratin is the best match for the hair. So it really rebuilds. Its like a miracle in a bottle. My hair has really recovered using this and other protein products (duotex):yep:

I'll check that out today, check the ingredients...that's a good deal! Is the Sally's blend the same protein technology as the K-Pak. I think the K-Pak has some kind of special technology...:lol:

(they have obviously tricked me with their marketing :lachen:)
I think so because all of the sallys GVP's that I have purchased have the same ingredients as the original that its compared to

I have suspected and confirmed with a few fine haired naturals that the way to retain length is to use protein.

I have a theory and I'd like to try and confirm and I will test myself. I want to do my protein treatments as a pre-poo before co-washing and then DCing with moisture after co-washing. Has anyone tried this method?

My thoughts are that this method will help get the moisture back in there.

My hair hates, hates, HATES shampoo! When I use it, poor hair just shrinks up like no bodies business. I know its generally best to clarify before protein treatments but my hair will have no such business on a weekly basis. I'm going to have to give it a go without the shampoo, I can only do poo once per month.

Anyone else out there with experience on co-washing and protein?

This is exactly what I used to do. I would pre-poo with joico conditioner (not the reconstructor) on dry hair. Wrap a hot damp towel around hair and cover with plastic cap for about 20 minutes. Then shampoo with joico shampoo, then I would deep condition with Kenra MC which is a moisturing conditioner. I did this for months and the results were awesome. I have a whole album dedicated to the results of Joico in my picturetrail. Check it out!

That's awesome, where did you get that deal lucky!!!

Trade Secret had the deal until the first of the year, I found out about it here on this board:grin:

Wow that's interesting though that naturals use protein to retain length, I always assumed it was for the relaxed and once I went fully natural I wouldn't need it. This is great info I've found out here!

I don't know if the protein would work as effectively if you don't poo at least when you use the treatment. I am wondering if it can work through the conditioner that builds up on the hair.

This is exactly what I used to do. I would pre-poo with joico conditioner (not the reconstructor) on dry hair. Wrap a hot damp towel around hair and cover with plastic cap for about 20 minutes. Then shampoo with joico shampoo, then I would deep condition with Kenra MC which is a moisturing conditioner. I did this for months and the results were awesome. I have a whole album dedicated to the results of Joico in my picturetrail. Check it out!

Why did you stop doing this?

Your hair is gawgous! It really is silky and looks thick!! I have to figure my way around the SLS shampoo :scratchch

Why did you stop doing this?

Because I was stupid! :lachen: No the truth is I just got lazy and became such a pj and started buying up and trying every thing I saw. Then it was like I just forgot about it and wondered why my hair had started to break a few months back. But this thread has inspired me to start doing this again. The results really were great.:yep:

Trade Secret had the deal until the first of the year, I found out about it here on this board:grin:

Wow that's interesting though that naturals use protein to retain length, I always assumed it was for the relaxed and once I went fully natural I wouldn't need it. This is great info I've found out here!

I don't know if the protein would work as effectively if you don't poo at least when you use the treatment. I am wondering if it can work through the conditioner that builds up on the hair.
I don't use condish with cones so there shouldn't be much build up. Also I will use a poo once a month or so...

I'm going to give it a try, it can't hurt.

I just have a difficult time with shampoo right now, and that's with the non SLS poos even. I can only imagine an SLS poo....

I'll post my results here.

I don't use condish with cones so there shouldn't be much build up. Also I will use a poo once a month or so...

I'm going to give it a try, it can't hurt.

I just have a difficult time with shampoo right now, and that's with the non SLS poos even. I can only imagine an SLS poo....

I'll post my results here.

I hear what you're saying about shampoo, I had no luck with the SLS free ones either. Can't wait to hear your results and if it works I may follow suit and ditch my shampoo:grin:

I hear you on that one!:lachen: My exact thoughts. How often are you using the reconstructor? I've only used it once so far and have been told to use it at LEAST once a week but I hope that's not too much for me. I think I will have to experiment and see.

Depending on my hair, I use it every wash or every other wash (if my hair is showing no signs of breakage or over-moisturization)

Ladies who purchased the Sallys GVP K-pak, how do you like it???
I haven't tried the original, I'm still waiting on my samples :grin:

But I do like the knockoff. It leaves my hair strong, yet soft and my hair usually despises protein. It's a keeper :yep:

Some products coat the strands which makes them appear and feel thicker. Dye also does that. I think silicones might do it too.

This is exactly whats happening as far as old hair. New growth maybe can grow thicker but im not sure.

Maybe that's how your strands are supposed to be and the product is helping to maintain them????? I know once I started using protein and deep conditioning, my hair seemed to thicken up because it stopped shedding and breaking as much.
OP is talking about the *individual* strands getting thicker, not the hair getting denser because of less breakage and shedding. E.g. I already have super dense (what is commonly called "thick") hair, but still have very thin strands.

Wow, OP. I've been planning to buy Joico products with this very goal in mind. Having it confirmed by someone that it can actually happen is the final nail in the coffin for my wallet.

I have suspected and confirmed with a few fine haired naturals that the way to retain length is to use protein.

I have a theory and I'd like to try and confirm and I will test myself. I want to do my protein treatments as a pre-poo before co-washing and then DCing with moisture after co-washing. Has anyone tried this method?

My thoughts are that this method will help get the moisture back in there.

My hair hates, hates, HATES shampoo! When I use it, poor hair just shrinks up like no bodies business. I know its generally best to clarify before protein treatments but my hair will have no such business on a weekly basis. I'm going to have to give it a go without the shampoo, I can only do poo once per month.

Anyone else out there with experience on co-washing and protein?

Hey AtlantaJJ,

I'm also going to be doing this starting today. I decided to do my protein treatment/conditioner as a prepoo but I will then shampoo then do my moisturizing deep conditioner. I think it will be fine. Because we will be moisturizing the hair after fortifying it.

Anyone else out there with experience on co-washing and protein?[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

This is what I do with no problem.

Hey AtlantaJJ,

I'm also going to be doing this starting today. I decided to do my protein treatment/conditioner as a prepoo but I will then shampoo then do my moisturizing deep conditioner. I think it will be fine. Because we will be moisturizing the hair after fortifying it.
I did this last week with a light diluted shampoo and then moisture mask and my hair was strong and I didn't have one snapped hair!

Now this method is the business!!! :up:

I hear what you're saying about shampoo, I had no luck with the SLS free ones either. Can't wait to hear your results and if it works I may follow suit and ditch my shampoo:grin:

I find that I can co-wash after my protein treatments, and I am learning how to dilute my shampoos which helps me not strip my hair.

I can add oil and water to my shampoo for the SLS type shampoo (for monthly clarifying only) or add water to the non SLS shampoo with a little oil.

I also put the shampoo/oil/water mix in a color applicator squirt bottle and squirt it onto my scalp, give my scalp a good scrub and just squeeze the suds through my hair then rinse well. I get my scalp clean and use lower concentrations of shampoo on my hair. I need to use poo now because of the build up from growth aides that I'm using (MT and Bee Mines).

This is working out great for my 4a/b natural hair!

Yeah, I love Joico :yep: I use the entire K-pak line (and the Moisture Recovery to alternate). It's probably the human hair keratin proteins that are all up and through every Joico product, and they're reconstructing and rebuilding your hair. It's great for fine/thin hair :up:
I AGREE:yep::yep::yep:i AM NOTICING THICKER STRANDS TOO!

Last edited:

Hey AtlantaJJ,

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THIS METHOD WORKS LADIES. I WANT TO TRY. SUBSCRIBING

Hey AtlantaJJ,

This is what I do now, I am using up the sample protein packets and old protein condishes that I am trying to get rid of...I do this on the days I use moisturizing conditioner as well...

Hindsight is always 20/20!!!

I notice thicker hair with Joico too. I am using the Moisture Recovery shampoo and conditioner right now as opposed to my Shescentit because I get no breakage with the Joico, but I can't do a THING with my hair after but flat iron!

The good thing is that it helps the new growth blend, but on the other hand, it is like my hair is swelling/bursting with moisture and it just gets so BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG by the time it dries. Even when I flat iron, it comes out a lot thicker than usual - the way my hair did when I straightened and I was still a natural.

My hair is past SL and it gets so big I can baaaaarely pull it back and get it in a pony tail. It gets frustrating after a while. Now that I think about it, let me go put a scarf on before I start yanking on my hair. I can just pretend it isn't there. :look:

i have still been uding my joico k pak reconstructor and i love it. i find my self using it every week and i think my hair is thanking me for it. yesterday i used the reconstructor and then deep conditioned with ORS replenishing pak and my hair was a litle hard around my temples so i have to give the temples a bit more moisture. but im going to continue to use joico weekly. but i pre poo with carols daughter black vanila smoothie for moisture.

Back