My texturizing process... **pics**

lovelymissyoli

Ladies,

Since I've closed my Fotki album for good and basically thrown in the towel in regards to growing my hair, I figured I'd just answer all of my pm's in one simple thread since I doubt I'll be around much. Here are the photos to the process that I used to texturize my hair. Good luck to anyone who's thinking about texturizing. I hope this helps.
Also, I've included the captions that were underneath each of these photos in my Fotki. If something still isn't clear, let me know.

...see you around...

bitmap43648-vi.jpg

Strand test...
Believe it or not, the timing makes all the difference!

I read how a lot of ladies leave their relaxer on for 10 minutes and I know that wouldn't be the case for me. As you can see, 8 minutes was too much and 3 minutes left my hair underprocessed, or not processed at all.

I found a happy medium at 5 minutes!

....now why I chose to do a strand test in the FRONT of my hair is beyond me. I guess I really wanted to see the results.

bitmap43635-vi.jpg

How I applied...
So I parted my hair into 5 large sections (of which I broke down into 2 or 3 smaller sections for even application). I used an applicator brush and applied the relaxer to my roots first and then slowly moved down until I got to my ends.

I was very adamant about not going over 5 minutes and that was from the minute the relaxer was applied to my ends because I knew it would process faster here.

bitmap43644-vi.jpg

The guinea pig side....
This was the first side I applied the relaxer to. It would ultimately determine how long I left the relaxer on and what, if anything, I needed to tweak.

bitmap43642-vi.jpg

Rinsing and moving on...
I rinsed each section with a hand towel in the sink, making sure that I didn't wet the other side. After each section had been washed out I applied conditioner to it and bobby pinned it so that I could move on, and make sure I didn't get any additional relaxer on it.

bitmap43640-vi.jpg

All done with the back...
That 2nd big chop in May really set me back, but I guess this is an official length shot to check my progress.

Once the back portion was completed I rinsed out the conditioner that I applied to each section after rinsing out the relaxer, and I added the neutralizing shampoo. I left that on while I proceed to relax the top portion.

Now I'm no relaxer expert, so I don't know if leaving neutralizing shampoo on your hair is good or bad thing...

bitmap43646-vi.jpg

All done!!
One thing I should mention is that I noticed it took 7 minutes, instead of 5 to process the middle of my hair. I take it this was the most resistant/coarsest part of my hair even though it always grew the longest! ;-D

bitmap43650-vi.jpg

The twists are still in there...
I didn't wind up taking these twists down until late Saturday night. Shrinkage gave me beautiful, full twists, and now the relaxer/texturizer has taken some of that thickness away.

I'll see as time goes by if my hair will get bigger or not.

bitmap43652-vi.jpg

The twists stayed intact!

bitmap43638-vi.jpg

Only a little scalp is showing...
Here I thought my hair was going to look really scalpy, but that's not the case. I guess my hair really was thick.

Random photos...

bitmap43601-vi.jpg

topview2-vi.jpg

bitmap43599-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Great post!
So do you use a relaxer or do you use a texturizer?

Thanks! In those pics I used ORS relaxer (the box one you can buy at Target or Wal-Mart). For my most recent texlax, I used Silk Elements Mild and left it on longer. However, if I could do it all over again, I would've used Silk Elements the first time around.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats wrong?? Why are you leaving??? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

J/K. I dont know why you are throwing in the towel and I wish you would stay,but if not I understand. Your hair is lovely and thanks so much for sharing your technique with us!!

i think it looks really great! and interesting...thanks for showing pics

i don't know too much about the tex-laxing procedure, but out of curiosity...when ur ready to tex-lax ur ng in a couple of months, how would u go about doing it? in sections again? How much ng do u think u need to have a successful tex-lax the next time around?

Beautiful results!! Thanks for sharing your technique...

Why would you use silk elements instead of ORS relaxer if you had to do it over again? Just curious.

OOoh, that looks so SIMPLE!

Not that I have any intentions of texa-anythinging anytime soon, but I've gotta sub to this......

:( about your leaving ....

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats wrong?? Why are you leaving??? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

J/K. I dont know why you are throwing in the towel and I wish you would stay,but if not I understand. Your hair is lovely and thanks so much for sharing your technique with us!!

I've spent too much time and money on my hair and I honestly don't believe my hair will get as long as I'm hoping it will. After 4 years I don't have anything to show for my hair. So I figure, what's the use?!

Beautiful results!
Let me get this straight...you texlaxed your hair while it was in twists??

Yes, that's correct!

i think it looks really great! and interesting...thanks for showing pics

i don't know too much about the tex-laxing procedure, but out of curiosity...when ur ready to tex-lax ur ng in a couple of months, how would u go about doing it? in sections again? How much ng do u think u need to have a successful tex-lax the next time around?

For my last texlax I didn't do it in twists, I just applied the relaxer to my new growth and I still got the texlax/texturized look even though I left it on for 10+ minutes this time around.

I think I'd need at least an inch of new growth for a successful texlax. Right now my hair is braided up so I'm going to relax again once I feel it's time which will probably be when I give myself a break from wearing braids.

Hey Oli,

Does your hair return to those curls after you've combed it?

Thanks!

Yes it does, even after I texlaxed.

Beautiful results!! Thanks for sharing your technique...

Why would you use silk elements instead of ORS relaxer if you had to do it over again? Just curious.

I wish I'd used SE the first time because it really makes my hair feel and look like silk! I really don't need to add any oils or moisturizers to my hair (even though I know it's necessary).

I've spent too much time and money on my hair and I honestly don't believe my hair will get as long as I'm hoping it will. After 4 years I don't have anything to show for my hair. So I figure, what's the use?!

I don't want to argue the point, but didn't you cut off like 6-7 inches of colored ends in addition to your original BC?

I been stalking your fotki for a loooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg time.

Beautiful results-makes me want a to texlax. Do you think you would have gotten the same results if you didn't twist?

Please don't leave. Why don't you give it till the end of the year? You have a great fresh start, a nice cut, a texturizing process that works for you...you and your album will be missed.

Thanks for sharing your process, that was sweet of you.

:missu:
But but.. I don't want you to leave.
I really like your hair :(
II hope you consider staying but if you don't I wish you lots of hair growth :)

Back