My stylist's assistant said, "Your hair is too clean!"

chayil0427

Hmmm...I went in for a relaxer this evening, and it was very pleasant and professional and I'm extraordinarily pleased with the results of the entire process.

However, my stylist had a new assistent who applied my relaxer. She did an excellent job...she based my scalp completely and I experience no burning or tugging. Yet, as she felt for my new growth she commented that my hair was too clean.:eek: She said it's best to come in with really dirty hair for a relaxer. She asked if I had just washed my hair, and I told her no, I washed it this past weekend. She was like well, your hair is too clean --- the relaxer goes better if your hair is dirty. Yet...after that she commented on how soft and thick my hair was and said she wished her hair was like that. I'm like thinking well if u keep your hair dirty it's not gonna be soft and thick...but oh well.

I mean she was really nice and did a great relaxer but that was just so odd ball. I mean she said it just in passing so I wasn't offended I just thought it was weird.

So I asked my stylist about the comment when I got in his chair and he said no...it's really good that you keep your hair clean. So...who knows...I guess that was just her opinion. Fortunately my stylist is very pleased with the condition of my hair and its cleanliness so I know I'm in the right place.

Yet, in extension I wonder why so many black women keep their hair dirty. I was sitting next to a girl in church recently who had styled her hair beautifully but had horrible flakey greasy build up around her roots. In my opinion and experience clean hair and scalp means healthy hair and scalp -- ALWAYS.

Chayil

Last edited:
Yeah I use to believe this. "The relaxer takes better if your hair is dirty". It's just another one of those myths.

Keen said:
Yeah I use to believe this. "The relaxer takes better if your hair is dirty". It's just another one of those myths.

And when will we learn that relaxers don't "take, not take and revert". The relaxer process is a simply chemical reaction...the reaction, once it has taken place, cannot and will not revert. Moreover, underprocessed hair symply means that the reaction didn't take place sufficiently for our tastes ... there was still a reaction it just did not process to the extent we'd like.

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
And when will we learn that relaxers don't "take, not take and revert". The relaxer process is a simply chemical reaction...the reaction, once it has taken place, cannot and will not revert. Moreover, underprocessed hair symply means that the reaction didn't take place sufficiently for our tastes ... there was still a reaction it just did not process to the extent we'd like.

Chayil

Ha! I forever have to educate people that they don't need a relaxer because the one they got before is finished but because they hair grew.

I remember someone stating that relaxers take better on dirty hair. And I beleived it until I came to this site.

You come to think of it back then my relaxers never took as well as they do now.

Keen said:
Ha! I forever have to educate people that they don't need a relaxer because the one they got before is finished but because they hair grew.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never heard some one say that before, that's hilarious!

I always thought the "not washing hair too close to a relaxer" was for the protection of the scalp, not the success of the process. Interesting.

I can't believe you were told that your hair was too clean. IMO that is the way it should be. I wash my hair twice a week and have seen better results by doing this. Like someone posted earlier... I think what they told u was a myth "relaxer takes better on dirty hair". I think a relaxer being a chemical and all could care less what your strands are like!! it will work regardless but I will still keep my hair clean. In the past I didn't keep it clean but now I know better!

UmSumayyah said:
I always thought the "not washing hair too close to a relaxer" was for the protection of the scalp, not the success of the process. Interesting.

What she said.

As long as I can remember I've been told that you should keep your hair a little 'dirty' when you're going in for a relaxer, and one person explained to me that the 'dirt' acted as some kind of natural base or something. :confused: The only part that made sense to me was that when you wash you stimulate your scalp and remove dead cells, exposing newer cells and that would make your scalp more sensitive to burning and tingling. (i'm probably wrong, im just saying)

isioma85 said:
The only part that made sense to me was that when you wash you stimulate your scalp and remove dead cells, exposing newer cells and that would make your scalp more sensitive to burning and tingling. (i'm probably wrong, im just saying)

Nah, you're right. :)

That is what I thought as well. Having a little coat of what ever hair products you use on your scalp would help with the burning (if that occurred) verses having a very clean scalp seems as tho the chemicals can start to burn or irritate quicker. IMO

UmSumayyah said:

isioma85 said:
As long as I can remember I've been told that you should keep your hair a little 'dirty' when you're going in for a relaxer, and one person explained to me that the 'dirt' acted as some kind of natural base or something. :confused: The only part that made sense to me was that when you wash you stimulate your scalp and remove dead cells, exposing newer cells and that would make your scalp more sensitive to burning and tingling. (i'm probably wrong, im just saying)

That is the same thing I heard.

For me, I don't know about the relaxers taking better, but I get burned it my hair is too dirty. My scalp has to be clean.

Yep I never wash my hair within three days of a relaxer and I don't contact my scalp in the days before a relaxer because I don't want it to be open, but as far as the hair needing to be diry for it to "take" or needing dirt and oil in your hair to protect your scalp I don't believe that.

Relaxer companies make base (or heavy grease) that is to be applied to the scalp before a relaxer so there is no need to have a dirty scalp if you're using base. Actually I'm not sure a dirty scalp would work as well as base since u apply base in a relatively thick layer and most people wouldn't have that much grease on their scalp anyway.

Chayil

Five days "dirty" is about all it gets pre-relaxer. Funny, my beautician said "Your scalp is very clean", when I went for my touch-up, I love shampooing every four days.

Hmm. I normally get my hair relaxed after only two days after I have washed it. It's not really a big deal to me. Besides I can't stand dirty hair if I am getting a realxer or not.

Yeah the only reason for not washing would be not to rub your scalp, which does makes sense. But not the hair being clean vs. dirty. In fact my stylist wet (not washed) a woman's hair and sat her under a cool dryer before she relaxed her because she needed to see her new growth. It was strange seeing a stylist actually do this. But they are such sticklers about applying relaxers correctly, that I don't think she would ever do that if she thought it would cause a problem.

Hmmm...I went in for a relaxer this evening, and it was very pleasant and professional and I'm extraordinarily pleased with the results of the entire process.

However, my stylist had a new assistent who applied my relaxer. She did an excellent job...she based my scalp completely and I experience no burning or tugging. Yet, as she felt for my new growth she commented that my hair was too clean.:eek: She said it's best to come in with really dirty hair for a relaxer. She asked if I had just washed my hair, and I told her no, I washed it this past weekend. She was like well, your hair is too clean --- the relaxer goes better if your hair is dirty. Yet...after that she commented on how soft and thick my hair was and said she wished her hair was like that. I'm like thinking well if u keep your hair dirty it's not gonna be soft and thick...but oh well.

I mean she was really nice and did a great relaxer but that was just so odd ball. I mean she said it just in passing so I wasn't offended I just thought it was weird.

So I asked my stylist about the comment when I got in his chair and he said no...it's really good that you keep your hair clean. So...who knows...I guess that was just her opinion. Fortunately my stylist is very pleased with the condition of my hair and its cleanliness so I know I'm in the right place.

Yet, in extension I wonder why so many black women keep their hair dirty. I was sitting next to a girl in church recently who had styled her hair beautifully but had horrible flakey greasy build up around her roots. In my opinion and experience clean hair and scalp means healthy hair and scalp -- ALWAYS.

Chayil

I'd been told and believed the whole myth about dirty scalps and relaxers until now. However, You washed your hair the weekend before you had your touch up right? when was did you have the actual touch up? and how did you keep your hair clean during that time?
Just wondering cas I've got a dry scalp and If I wash the weekend before, it's guaranteed to be flaky again within days. I've picked up a few tips from various threads and Healthy textures. But not seen anything about preparing for a touch up or hair care during the week or so before a touch up.
Any advice?

hmmm.... I have never heard this. I've heard dirt makes the hair grow, but not that. And when my hair would be dirty before a relaxer, it would burn so bad i would cry. Now, its really soothing and i have no burning. So continue keeping that scalp clean!!!!! :grin::grin::grin:

I used to be that girl. I would go for 2-3 weeks without washing and thought that all the build up would protect my hair during a perm. I think there are a lot of Black people that think so. (Not just women, because I had a male friend recently comment to me that I wash my hair more than any other Black woman he knows - I WASH once and CO-WASH twice a week). I think think a large part of this behavior is 1) because people think that washing will dry out their hair, 2) washing a perm regularly won't keep is bone straight 3) just general lack of knowledge about Black hair - we don't have as many companies out there researching our hair types and promoting good products and information.

If you're a product junkie its very important to wash your hair before a relaxer to remove any buildup. It is to protect the scalp, I made the dumb mistake of waiting less than 24 hours and let me tell you it BURNS!! :sad:

Bingo. Wait about 3 days, to make sure scalp is dry and pores are closed. Other than that, you're good to go. In fact, it would be best to clarify hair the wash prior to relaxing, in order for the rhair shaft to penetrate relaxer better, not have a whole bunch of gunk on it.

Chayil

She probably works at my job.

There is a coworker of mine and her hair is so DEAD that when she bends her head down her hair sticks straight out in back. I be crackin' up and I know she wonders why I am like this :lachen:. Everyone thinks I'm real silly anyway so half the time they don't know what I'm laughing about. Also, it STINKS WHEN SHE MOVES I CAN SMELL THE AFTERBREEZE AND IT SMELLS LIKE DIRTY SCALP AND SMELLY OLD HEAT APPLIANCES. I 'bout :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

She probably works at my job.

There is a coworker of mine and her hair is so DEAD that when she bends her head down her hair sticks straight out in back. I be crackin' up and I know she wonders why I am like this :lachen:. Everyone thinks I'm real silly anyway so half the time they don't know what I'm laughing about. Also, it STINKS WHEN SHE MOVES I CAN SMELL THE AFTERBREEZE AND IT SMELLS LIKE DIRTY SCALP AND SMELLY OLD HEAT APPLIANCES. I 'bout :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

:lachen:Send her a letter anonymously to let her know she needs to take care of that immediately!

Chayil

I completely agree. When people find out that I cowash 2 sometimes 3 times a week (b/c I workout so much I have to wash the sweat out of my scalp on a regular basis), they always try to convince me that it's unhealthy, lol:lachen:

Back