My Stylist Has Products From Bs Store

syze6

So my daughter and I had our salon visit. While waiting for my service I eyed at least 4 products that can be picked up at your local BS store. The relaxer used you can also pick up at the BS store. So I started to wonder if I am paying for the location and convenience of someone tending to our hair. When I left the salon I was out of $340 without tips!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just hood, but I've never been to a salon where they were using products I couldn't purchase on my own if I wanted to. Whether budget or "high end"(I'm talking cheap people high end:look:) products, I've seen most of the stuff used on my hair by stylists right in the bss or department store.

Maybe I'm just hood, but I've never been to a salon where they were using products I couldn't purchase on my own if I wanted to. Whether budget or "high end"(I'm talking cheap people high end:look:) products, I've seen most of the stuff used on my hair by stylists right in the bss or department store.
If that stylist understands chemistry, has great technique, professional, etc..then it's ok with me. But at the same time this chick used box color on my hair and didn't get the results I wanted. She put it right on my hair that was previously colored black. And she charged me $80 for color alone. And if you got pump it up spray sitting at your station, I can't be bothered.

So my daughter and I had our salon visit. While waiting for my service I eyed at least 4 products that can be picked up at your local BS store. The relaxer used you can also pick up at the BS store. So I started to wonder if I am paying for the location and convenience of someone tending to our hair. When I left the salon with tips I was out of $340 without tips!
Look at it concerning this person is licensed, has to pay for continuous education, location, customer service, techinque, does this person work off of commission, does she pay booth rent, are you able to use credit/debit cards, etc...

For some reason, I always thought that most products are specifically for licensed professionals to order. I could be wrong but I didn't think the relaxer was something I could just pick up.

I don't have a problem with salons using products that I can purchase in the BSS. I can buy "professional" products at the BSS too. They sell gallon sizes of relaxers and liter bottles of many products.

My last salon visit included Shea Moisture products and Eco styler gel.
I didn't get the same results trying to duplicate the style at home despite buying them so the $68 style/tip was worth it.

For that amount of money I would expect professional products. What were the results like? If she's exceptionally good I would deal with it or bring my own products. A good stylist is hard to find.

Our hair is well cared for and healthy but I guess I was thinking that there were some untouchable products back there! When I eyed infusium, Clariol in the brown bottle and motions hair cream, and the small jar of relaxer I was surprised. I went to a sylist when I was younger who was adjacent to a BS store. If she didn't get that QP elastic relaxer that came with 2 or 4 jars in the box and try to charge an arm and a leg! LOL!

Look at it concerning this person is licensed, has to pay for continuous education, location, customer service, techinque, does this person work off of commission, does she pay booth rent, are you able to use credit/debit cards, etc...

This kind of reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago (not saying it necessarily applies to OP's situation). I don't remember all the details so I'll improvise.

A man's boat wouldn't start, even after he worked on it for hours. So he called a professional to fix it. The professional examined the boat, tested a few things, replaced a part and fixed the boat in about 5-10 minutes. Later the customer received a bill for $255, $5 for the part and $250 to fix it. The customer was upset and called asking why he had to pay $250 to fix something that cost $5 and only took a couple of minutes to replace. The professional explained that the $250 wasn't just for replacing the part. He was paying for his knowledge of knowing what to fix and how to fix it.

I'm sure someone probably heard a similar story and I probably chopped it up :lol: But hopefully, you get the gist.

Last edited:
So my daughter and I had our salon visit. While waiting for my service I eyed at least 4 products that can be picked up at your local BS store. The relaxer used you can also pick up at the BS store. So I started to wonder if I am paying for the location and convenience of someone tending to our hair. When I left the salon I was out of $340 without tips!
As I was reading, I was thinking what is the big deal until I read the salon visit cost $340 If you and your daughter weren't getting braids or a weave, I would be honestly questioning why the stylist is using cheaper products on clients heads. I don't necessarily believe that lower end products are worse than higher end/professional products but give the client the sense that coming to the salon is a treat to try and use higher end products (if that makes any sense)....like the client is getting their monies worth.

This kind of reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago (not saying it necessarily applies to OP's situation). I don't remember all the details so I'll improvise.

A man's boat wouldn't start, even after he worked on it for hours. So he called a professional to fix it. The professional examined the boat, tested a few things, replaced a part and fixed the boat in about 5-10 minutes. Later the customer received a bill for $255, $5 for the part and $250 to fix it. The customer was upset and called asking why he had to pay $250 to fix something that cost $5 and only took a couple of minutes to replace. The professional explained that the $250 wasn't just for replacing the part. He was paying for his knowledge of knowing what to fix and how to fix it.

I'm sure someone probably heard a similar story and I probably chopped it up :lol: But hopefully, you get the gist.

I get it because when I used to do my relaxers years ago I over-processed it. What would take me almost 20 minutes to apply takes my stylist a good 10 minutes. I do like my stylist but the only grip is it seems there is always a new assistant. I get used to a shampoo girl who handles and detangles my hair great. I come back and there is a new assistant and I'm like, "Who...you!":eek:

As I was reading, I was thinking what is the big deal until I read the salon visit cost $340 If you and your daughter weren't getting braids or a weave, I would be honestly questioning why the stylist is using cheaper products on clients heads. I don't necessarily believe that lower end products are worse than higher end/professional products but give the client the sense that coming to the salon is a treat to try and use higher end products (if that makes any sense)....like the client is getting their monies worth.

I think that was my mind set, that I'm somehow getting higher end products compared to my girl in the shop around the corner.

It's a catch 22! :lachen: but I understand from both sides of the coin. I used to bring my own products, but I would still get charged full price.

This story reminds me of a mug I saw online:
il_fullxfull.942435772_ie5f.jpg

Hmmm the product piece doesn't really bother me as long as they work. I would question her prices though... $340 for two relaxers as I assume your daughter got one as well is quite outrageous. Even if she DC'd and trimmed $340 is a LOT!

Hmmm the product piece doesn't really bother me as long as they work. I would question her prices though... $340 for two relaxers as I assume your daughter got one as well is quite outrageous. Even if she DC'd and trimmed $340 is a LOT!
Around here a relaxer touchup is $65-$70. so maybe everything was a la carte? Plus tips?

Back