My Shedding Update (pics)

Ediese

Hello Ladies!

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update re: my excessive shedding issues. Good news is that you'll be pleased to know that I've gotten it under control. The only bad thing about is that I still don't know what caused it. :perplexed

I've taken the great advice of all of you. I attribute the decrease in shedding to black tea rinses. I bought the english black tea a few weeks ago. I steeped it overnight, and poured it into my spray bottle. After I shampooed, I sprayed my hair and covered it up for about an hour. After I rinsed, I left my Kenra moisturizing conditioner on overnight. (I think this was absolutely necessary because my hair felt really stripped after I rinsed the tea). I've also started taking saw palmetto, but since I just started, I can't really say how well it's working.

I posted some pics of when the shedding first started to slow down. I twisted my hair lastnight, and there was hardly any hair in my comb. I've been wearing my hair in a bun if I go anywhere special. If I'm going anywhere else, I've been twisting my hair and pinning it up. This allows for me to take out the pins and spray my Care Free Gold and use my crisco to seal (yes I am quite fond of this mix) :yep:. I usually do this everyday, so my hair stays moist. I have a personal juicing challenge. lol My forehead and neck stays shiny. I've been detangling when I wash every week. I've noticed even more breakage than I had before. Some areas of my crown is broken too, so I'm really trying to stay on top of it. Also, my hair is the softest that it's ever been, (except of course when I had the bkt), and it FINALLY looks so moisturized (ya'll know how much I've complained about it always looking dry)! My comb easily glides through it when my hair is dry. That's an amazing feat! :yep:

One last thing, the color from the bkt has my hair looking kinda weird. I know this was the source of my breakage. You can see it in the pics. I have about 1.5" of off black new growth, followed by 5" of reddish brown followed by jet black dye on the ends. I noticed that my hair broke at the line between the reddish brown color and the dye. Instead of nursing my hair and upping the moisture level when I noticed the light color after my bkt, I installed a weave to hide my shedding problems. That was a huge mistake. I'm just happy that I can work on it now. I'm having a wig made, and that's the only other protective style that I'll be using.

Anyway, here are some pics.

(1st and 2nd week of shedding)

(it's a medium size patch that's broken. more hair is broken below it. need to take pics of the left side too)

smaller twists lol

http://imagefra.me/

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's getting better! I really like the pinned up twists too.

P.S. - thanks for the info about the kinky weaves, I finally got mine done and I love it!! :yep:

Good for you. Glad to see the tea rinses work for you. Might have to look into tea rinses if not for shedding but for other reasons too.

Glad you've got the shedding under control and you know what caused the breakage. So do you think some breakage is inevitable with getting the BKT done? Also the twists into a bun is really cute! I'm 1 year post (transitioning) and may have to try that style!

Glad to hear it's getting better! I really like the pinned up twists too.

P.S. - thanks for the info about the kinky weaves, I finally got mine done and I love it!! :yep:

You're welcome! What did you end up getting? Did you post your pics?

Glad you've got the shedding under control and you know what caused the breakage. So do you think some breakage is inevitable with getting the BKT done? Also the twists into a bun is really cute! I'm 1 year post (transitioning) and may have to try that style!

Not necessarily. I realized that when my hair got lighter because of the permanent dye and bkt mix, I would have to increase my moisture level but I never did. If I had, I know I wouldn't have had any breakage problems. This is exactly why I've always been weary of lightening my hair.

You should try it out! It's quick and neat.

Don't know what caused your shedding, but if it helps, I experience shedding due to food allergies or product allergies. Glad to know you're doing better.

I'm glad you have this under control. I assuming that bkt is not for everyone.

It wasn't the bkt that damaged my hair. I used a permanent color before I bkted. After the treatment, the mix of chemicals somehow lightened my hair in some parts. Since I didn't take care of it like I should have, it resulted in breakage.

Your twists look so beautiful and juicy! The amount of hair you have now outweighs the little bit of damage you may have experienced :)

Thank you for sharing your update. Glad you have the shedding under control but what I reallly want to say is that your hair if sooooo lovely. I love the twists in a bun. Can't wait until I can do that. WOW!

Looks good. This is the second review I have heard about the black tea, I'm going to have to get on this immediately because I have been out of the Alter Ego Garlic for a while and this would be a great (and cheaper) alternative.

i still think your hair looks really beautiful. Sorry to be annoying, but can you tell me more about tea rinses?
-How often have you been doing it?
-How long do you leave it in?
-Does brand matter?

Can I deep condition, shampoo, condition, THEN do a tea rinse? Or should I tea rinse AFTER shampoo before the regular conditioner? I'm going to be doing this a lot after the weave take down. Should I do it every day for about a week after take down for preventative measures?

I'm glad you know what caused your shedding/breakage so that you can prevent it in the future. Your twisted bun looks fabulous. I love it.:drool:

i still think your hair looks really beautiful. Sorry to be annoying, but can you tell me more about tea rinses?
-How often have you been doing it?
-How long do you leave it in?
-Does brand matter?

Can I deep condition, shampoo, condition, THEN do a tea rinse? Or should I tea rinse AFTER shampoo before the regular conditioner? I'm going to be doing this a lot after the weave take down. Should I do it every day for about a week after take down for preventative measures?

Hey Nichi!

Thanks girl! How's the business going?

Check out Traycee's video. You should shampoo, tea rinse, and then deep condition. I think deep conditioning before the shampoo is an unncessary step. I would recommend deep conditioning after the tea rinse because your hair will feel really dry after you rinse. I don't think the brand matters. One thing though, I've heard that it darkens your hair over time. That hasn't happened to me yet.

I'm doing it every week when I wash. I've been doing it now for about 3 weeks. I saw a decrease within the first week. I leave it in for about 30 minutes to 1hr. I bought the english black tea from Krogers. It's the same one Traycee has in her video.

congrats! your hair is absolutely sexy! lol
I love it

i've been having success as well with black tea rinses, but alternate with a few other practices to make sure i'm all in! your hair is the shyyyze... thanks for the pics

Glad you got the shedding under control.... :grin::grin:

Really, your shedding to me don't see like that much :nono: especially from what I've seen before on this board and myself :ohwell:

I am happy to see you got your hair back on track. Your twisted bun is soooooooo pretty. I will try them when my hair gets longer or I made add some hair to do that.

glad u figured out the problem Ediese..LUBBBS the twisted bun! (cant wait until I get some length so I can try that out!(

Back