My Sedu Died! Sedu/CHI users, did you have this problem?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
My 1.5 inch Sedu took its last breath this weekend and won't turn on at all :sad:. I knew it was dying slowly because for the past year or so I'd have to keep hitting the reset button like 10 times until it would finally turn on. Now I want to buy a new one but after reading all the reviews I think it might be a bad decision. :look: A lot of users say theirs did the same thing. I've had it at least 3-4 years, around the time they had the $74 vote special. They claimed the original price was about $279 or something like that. But the problems only started the last year so I got my money's worth so I'm not too mad about that.:yep:

Now I'm lost and have to make a decision quick since I flat-iron weekly and hope to get it shipped by the weekend. This time I want to get the 1inch instead. I don't know anything at all about the CHI, only that you couldn't adjust the temp?? I don't know if that's true for all the models. I'm about to hit the researching hot and heavy but wanted to check with you ladies first.

I really, really, really liked the Sedu and the shine was great. So I'm wondering could this be a problem that is only with Sedu or does anybody have problems like this with their CHI also? Don't want to trade the devil for the witch. Oh yeah, I even read where the temp didn't seem right on some Sedu's. I do think the dial on mine wasn't as accurate lately because usually I'd only get the smoke when it's turned all the way up but I was getting that on the lower temp too.

Help! Would you buy another Sedu? Or is the CHI just as good? I'm thinking with all the problems that Sedu might have corrected it by now? Can you tell I'm really reaching for a good answer in favor of getting another Sedu??? :wallbash:

Hmm..... I saw Babyliss in TJMaxx recently but didn't know too much about it......... Adding that to my list of reviews. I'll check out Solia also.

Thanks!!!

I like solia, if you read reviews on Chi, people constantly complain about it breaking after one year. Maybe you should stick with what you like. Sedu are great irons. If my solia broke before buying a new one, I'd check out how much it cost to repair my broken model, it maybe be cheaper (would take longer then a week tho) Sometimes these company just replace the whole unit, however they are usually refurbish.

I have to admit that 3-4 years is really good for a flat iron longevity. If you liked it, then i'D buy it again! I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still going good! You just have to be careful with the power cord though because if you bend it repetitively, the connection inside might break and create problems when you put it on..

I like solia, if you read reviews on Chi, people constantly complain about it breaking after one year. Maybe you should stick with what you like. Sedu are great irons. If my solia broke before buying a new one, I'd check out how much it cost to repair my broken model, it maybe be cheaper (would take longer then a week tho) Sometimes these company just replace the whole unit, however they are usually refurbish.

That's a good point because I believe they all have problems. I guess I was lucky to make it that long if CHI users had the same problem after one year.

Thanks!!

I have to admit that 3-4 years is really good for a flat iron longevity. If you liked it, then i'D buy it again! I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still going good! You just have to be careful with the power cord though because if you bend it repetitively, the connection inside might break and create problems when you put it on..

Yeah, you're right. I was lucky to get 3-4 years out of it and only paying $74 I shouldn't complain. I wonder what is the actual way you're supposed to store the cord because it's impossible to put it in the heat pouch without bending it.

Come to think of it, the last time I was in Ulta they had a 1 inch Sedu there so maybe if the 20% coupon I have didn't expire I could get that one without having to order online.

Thanks bunches!

Yeah, you're right. I was lucky to get 3-4 years out of it and only paying $74 I shouldn't complain. I wonder what is the actual way you're supposed to store the cord because it's impossible to put it in the heat pouch without bending it.

Come to think of it, the last time I was in Ulta they had a 1 inch Sedu there so maybe if the 20% coupon I have didn't expire I could get that one without having to order online.

Thanks bunches!

Don't wrap the cord to tightly.. and keep doing what you been doing for 4 years :grin:

I have a CHI digital. It has temperature control. I can't look at the ranges now, but there is a wide range of temperatures. It did not straighten my two-month new growth like I've seen on YouTube videos. I used in on 303 degrees (for the new growth). But I love it when I don't have massive new growth.

My 1.5 inch Sedu took its last breath this weekend and won't turn on at all :sad:. I knew it was dying slowly because for the past year or so I'd have to keep hitting the reset button like 10 times until it would finally turn on. Now I want to buy a new one but after reading all the reviews I think it might be a bad decision. :look: A lot of users say theirs did the same thing. I've had it at least 3-4 years, around the time they had the $74 vote special. They claimed the original price was about $279 or something like that. But the problems only started the last year so I got my money's worth so I'm not too mad about that.:yep:

Now I'm lost and have to make a decision quick since I flat-iron weekly and hope to get it shipped by the weekend. This time I want to get the 1inch instead. I don't know anything at all about the CHI, only that you couldn't adjust the temp?? I don't know if that's true for all the models. I'm about to hit the researching hot and heavy but wanted to check with you ladies first.

I really, really, really liked the Sedu and the shine was great. So I'm wondering could this be a problem that is only with Sedu or does anybody have problems like this with their CHI also? Don't want to trade the devil for the witch. Oh yeah, I even read where the temp didn't seem right on some Sedu's. I do think the dial on mine wasn't as accurate lately because usually I'd only get the smoke when it's turned all the way up but I was getting that on the lower temp too.

Help! Would you buy another Sedu? Or is the CHI just as good? I'm thinking with all the problems that Sedu might have corrected it by now? Can you tell I'm really reaching for a good answer in favor of getting another Sedu??? :wallbash:

Lol at the bolded, but yeah I had a flat iron that was similar to the CHI and the same price and it just died on me at my mom's house and never turned on again. However, I have CHI and it still works, it's been a year now.

Mine is dead. I didn't know it had a reset button. Where is it located?

I rarely use it because I love my FHI platform and I just got the H2Pro, but I would like to give my Sedu to someone.

Mine is dead. I didn't know it had a reset button. Where is it located?

I rarely use it because I love my FHI platform and I just got the H2Pro, but I would like to give my Sedu to someone.

The reset button on the Sedu is on the cord right where you plug it in the wall. There are two buttons there but not sure what the other one is for since it never seems to do anything when I press it.

I have a CHI digital. It has temperature control. I can't look at the ranges now, but there is a wide range of temperatures. It did not straighten my two-month new growth like I've seen on YouTube videos. I used in on 303 degrees (for the new growth). But I love it when I don't have massive new growth.

I can't imagine not having a temperature control so I guess there must be several different models since you say you have a digital. I've never used any flat-iron at a temp less than 320 degrees so I wonder if that's why it didn't straighten your new growth. I think the Sedu goes from 270 to 320 to 375 to 420, or something like that. If you turn the dial between the numbers the light goes out so I can't remember if you could actually get a temp in between.

Thanks!

Lol at the bolded, but yeah I had a flat iron that was similar to the CHI and the same price and it just died on me at my mom's house and never turned on again. However, I have CHI and it still works, it's been a year now.

Yeah, luckily I started in the back and it died 3/4 of the way through and I just had to do a make-shift bang. I was at my BF's house when it broke so I didn't have my cheap back-up set on me. The cheap back-ups don't give that shine like the others though.

It's starting to sound like I have to bank on a flat iron lasting at least a year from most of the responses so far.

Thanks!

I have a Solia, which I thought was in love with. I got my daughter a Sedu for her Easter Basket, we both used it yestersay and Oh My Goodness.....I am in love. My 11 week hair looked freshly relaxed, I never thought anything could relpace my Solia, but I have to say the Sedu was better. I say get the Sedu.

I have a Solia, which I thought was in love with. I got my daughter a Sedu for her Easter Basket, we both used it yestersay and Oh My Goodness.....I am in love. My 11 week hair looked freshly relaxed, I never thought anything could relpace my Solia, but I have to say the Sedu was better. I say get the Sedu.

..... I'm reading this as I sit with my 20% Ulta coupon in my hand watching the clock waiting to get off work to check to see if the Sedu is still on the shelf. Otherwise, I'll be ordering it from folica tonight.

Thanks for co-signing!

there is a chi with temperature control (the CHI turbo) but it costs about 50 more than the one without it. it also only goes up to about 350 degrees while the cheaper one gets up to 420, but most people don't need that much heat anyway. i've had mine for about 2 yrs without any problems, but if it did break on me i would say i've gotten more than my money's worth considering i don't pay $50 at a salon every time i get my hair done =)

I ended up getting the 1-inch Sedu Revolution ($139) from Ulta and I was able to use my 20% off coupon so I got it for $111. So I was really happy about that. I got lucky because it was the last one there. They had plenty of the Sedu Pros though. I think the price for the Pro ($119) is cheaper than on-line if you subtract the 20% coupon from that price. So if you need one you might want to look for the online coupon.

I haven't used it or even plugged it in yet but I can't wait to see what kind of curls I can get with it this weekend.

Thanks for all of your help ladies!!

Back