My Sedu burned up on me

ellebelle88

And my dad won’t buy me another one. He says to go get a $20 one from Wal-Mart because it makes no sense to pay five times as much for the Sedu.

I mean, literally, it burned in two… I saw smoke coming from it but I continued to do my hair because I thought it was my hair that was making it smoke like that. Next thing I know I see sparks flying. I put the flat iron down and examine it and the cord near the base has burned into a friggin hole. It's like a rip on the cord and I can see the electrical wiring in the cord, so I know its dead and gone.

I am so sad because I’m away at a research program at Stanford. I haven't had a relaxer in 3 months because I was planning on using my flat iron to help me stretch. I really don’t have the means to scout out a Sally’s or anything but I really don’t wanna buy a flat iron from Wal-Mart or Target. But from you guys experiences, how have Wal-Mart/Target flat irons been? Which ones are of better quality and how much do they cost?

I have a Sedu and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT so I feel your pain :( When I first started straightening my hair, I used a cheap Conair flat iron from Walmart, but I don't recommend that at all. Cheaper flat irons either don't get hot enough, which can cause frizz, or they stay at one ridiculously high heat setting, which can damage your hair. If the "cheapie" flat iron you're looking at has a temp control on it, and has ceramic/tourmaline plates, then that may be better, but I've used 3 or 4 cheapie irons and they did nothing for the health of my hair.

I really think you should find a Sally's and get a GVP flatiron

How long did you have your Sedu? Did you use it a lot? Is it still under warranty?

I really think you should find a Sally's and get a GVP flatiron

How long did you have your Sedu? Did you use it a lot? Is it still under warranty?

How much does a GVP flat iron cost?
And no my Sedu is not under warranty, I had it for three years. I didn't use it a lot because I did a lot of protective styles and I tried not to use heat much, not to mention that I don't have the best skills when it comes to flat ironing hair, so I usually leave it up to the pros. But it did get its run.

I'm just upset because I took meticulously good care of that thing. I treated it like a child and it still died on me so quickly!

My Sedu also died...and I went and bought an Andis $15 ceramic flat iron at Wal-Mart , and Ive been using it with no problem for months becuz I havent been able to afford a high-end one. Go get you an Andis ! It will definitely get the job done.

How long have you had it? That sounds like a manufacturing defect. Maybe contact them and see if it could be replaced

Sorry about your Sedu. I have one and love it but I notice the reset switch on the plug has a short in it and I have to fiddle with it to stay on. But other than that, no problems. Many years ago I had a cheap iron that almost electrocuted me from the cord raveling up too much and the wire just snapped. That scared the bajeebies out of me and I'll never do cheap ones again.

By the way, if my Sedu ever breaks I'm gonna try this one by Remington at Walmart for $40 to hold me over until I get another one. I heard it was really good and compares to a CHI. I only paid $74 for my Sedu on a special. As a matter of fact, I see the ads on the right of this page for Folica.com for that price. So maybe you can brown-bag it for a few weeks to get another one.

Vidal Sassoon (sp?) makes a flat iron called Answers and the one for coarse hair has ceramic plates. It's pretty good to be so cheap. It's about $25, but I've seen it in Marshalls and TJ Maxx for $15. You should try looking at Marshalls and TJ Maxx because they always have cheap flat irons. And if you don't like them you could always take them back!

i bought a gvp from sally's for i think $50 i bought it that weekend they had a sale on them. i've heard good things about the andis from walmart i heard its around $15 or $20. i recently bought a babyliss from my job (marshalls) for $24.99 and i love it. i love it even more since i tested it out with my gvp silk infusion this past weekend and omg i'm in love lol.

I am so sorry to hear that, my Sedu died this weekend as well. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=8155932#post8155932

Where did you get yours from?
How long have you had it?
Do you have a receipt?

Hey Xavier! You're so lucky that yours was still under warranty. Unfortunately, mine wasn't. It's been three years. However, the way that it burned up seems like it was faulty wiring, which certainly wasn't my fault. Do you think they would still offer to replace it if I explained this to them?

Thanks for posting! I am/was about to invest in a Sedu Flat Iron for my daughter who will be starting high school this fall.

Thank goodness you were harmed in this incident! I guess I have rethink the purchase, and I look forward to reviews from the ladies in this thread for other good flat irons!

Thanks for posting! I am/was about to invest in a Sedu Flat Iron for my daughter who will be starting high school this fall.

Thank goodness you were harmed in this incident! I guess I have rethink the purchase, and I look forward to reviews from the ladies in this thread for other good flat irons!

Yes, it was a pretty scary experience, but the Sedu is still a pretty great flat iron. Honestly, I think what happened to me could happen with any flat iron. Although I am considering other brands of flat irons, that is only because of the price. I would buy another Sedu in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

I used to use the Andis from Walmart before I got hip to the "high end" irons.
For $15 bucks you can't beat it.

Hey Xavier! You're so lucky that yours was still under warranty. Unfortunately, mine wasn't. It's been three years. However, the way that it burned up seems like it was faulty wiring, which certainly wasn't my fault. Do you think they would still offer to replace it if I explained this to them?

It never hurts to try. I would just call Sedu and tell them how much you love the product and explained what happened. There are alot of other good irons out there for cheaper but I really love my Sedu and after spending so much on it I was willing to try. I didn't know it would be as easy as calling the website that I got it from.

I used to use a Revlon ceramic plated iron from Target when I was in school. I paid like $30 for it and it worked well. It was black with goldish looking plates. Not the one with the silver ones. I have one like that too and it doesn't work as well. Also, Vidal Sassoon makes good inexpensive styling tools. I've not tried their flat irons but I was very pleased with their ceramic curling irons.

Vidal Sassoon (sp?) makes a flat iron called Answers and the one for coarse hair has ceramic plates. It's pretty good to be so cheap. It's about $25, but I've seen it in Marshalls and TJ Maxx for $15. You should try looking at Marshalls and TJ Maxx because they always have cheap flat irons. And if you don't like them you could always take them back!

I have this iron. It has grooves in it that catch my hair so be careful. It gets HOT though.

My first Sedu died on me, as well. I called Folica and they shipped a new one the next day. I agree with trying to get a replacement before buying another...

Mine just fried and died on me last week. I heard something pop but didn't see anything, next thing I know it went pop then black smoke :nono: So I'm going to go pick up a GVP until I save up for a CHI or FHI.

I have a GVP and it starts to smoke (and continues until I turn it off) and a burnt smell produces when I turn it on... So I am not sure if I would recommend it... I purchased it in September 08. SORRY TO HIJACK THREAD....

Back