MY PROTEIN OVERLOAD....OH WHAT TO DO??

Drtondalia

Hi Ladies!

I DC'd sunday using the Cathy Howse dc recipe and I now have protein overload :sad:.

I think I may need to cut off a lot of my beautiful hair...well my once beautiful hair.

I'm learning alot about hair care but I fear it may be too late to save my hair. :cry2:I have like an inch and a half of brillo on my ends. I hate to have to go to my girlfriend/hairdresser to get it cut cause I know she's gonna tell me I should have listened to her in the first place.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just get some moisterizing shampoo and just keep it moisterized and in a bun for a few months. But I have an event to attend later this month and I need a real hairdo for it. I don't know guys.

Even though I have had alll natural hair for a long time, I never used protective styles. I'm so used to going and getting a wash blowdry and curl every two weeks. Then I would just pin curl / wrap it for the two weeks. But my growth was snail slow.

If you guys know anything to save this poor brillo that currently rests on my ends...talk to me.

On a positive note I won that printer from the HP commercial with that baby that's traveling on the expressway in his walker in a drawing at my job!!!! YAY ME!!!
If anybody needs any picture prints...just let me know :lol:. I can't wait to replace our old printer.

I pray everyone is well!!​

You won't need to cut off your hair, just up your moisture level until your hair is restored. Perhaps try a couple of overnight DC's. You may have to lay off the shampoo for a while as that may add to the dryness; incorporate co-washes until your hair corrects itself.

ITA with the moisturizing conditioner. Keep it overnight and please do not put shampoo in your hair for any reason. It will be okay honey, keep ya head up.

When is the event btw?

kmn1980: After I rinsed I sprayed with leave in conditioner and put QP mango butter on it and let it air dry. Should I have re-conditioned with moisturizing conditioner?

Try ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer! This always gets my hair to become very manageable after a hardcore protein treatment. If you don't have this, try every moisturizing conditioner you have in your stash. However, read the ingredients to make sure it doesn't contain protein in the conditioner as well.

I hope this works and keep us posted. BTW, its too soon to think about cutting. Actually, don't think that way period. Best wishes!

ITA with the moisturizing conditioner. Keep it overnight and please do not put shampoo in your hair for any reason. It will be okay honey, keep ya head up.

When is the event btw?

It is on the 19th, do you think the brillo will be gone by then???

Yes. You should always follow a protein DC with a moisturizing conditioner. I usually chase my protein DC with a VO5 moisturizing cowash and then moisturize like there is no tomorrow (2xs a day) for a few days following my protein DC.

I no longer do hard core DC so a cowash usually does the trick.

The UBH DC always left my relaxed hair stiff

kmn1980: After I rinsed I sprayed with leave in conditioner and put QP mango butter on it and let it air dry. Should I have re-conditioned with moisturizing conditioner?

Yes. As a previous poster noted, in protein overload situations, you must add moisture back in. You need to find a good moisturizing DC and leave it in overnight at the very least. No shampoo.

Yes. As a previous poster noted, in protein overload situations, you must add moisture back in. You need to find a good moisturizing DC and leave it in overnight at the very least. No shampoo.

Should I wet it first or just put the conditioner directly on dry hair. Forgive me if I sound crazy for asking...I'm very new.

Moisture!!! My secret blend is........1/2 VERY ripe small avocado ($0.50) + Silk Elements Mega Moisture ($10.00) Conditioner + coconut cream ($1.50) + oil of choice. I don't measure quantities - just mix until I get a consistency that I like - thick & creamy. Apply and steam for 45 min if possible, then wrap your hair in plastic conditioner cap and saran wrap and put on an old hat. Go to bed and wake up to SUPER MOSTURIZED hair.

what was the leave in? and someone help me out, but I think the mango butter is protein too. When was the last time you clarified your hair?

Should I wet it first or just put the conditioner directly on dry hair. Forgive me if I sound crazy for asking...I'm very new.

considering you want to add as much moisture as possible, I'd suggest saturating your hair in warm water first so that it will open the cuticles for the conditioner to get in. Then just blot your hair to the point where it isn't dripping and then apply the condish

Do you have to have a protein DC? I just DC with Jojoba oil...or is the Protein DC that she is using for different purposes like repairing weak spots in hair?...

Wet it. I think the issue is that even though you used a leave-in, if you had a protein "overload", the leave-in wasn't enough. I'm very protein sensitive so I've been there. I had to do a moisturizing DC for 24 hours to salvage my hair when it happened to me.

I had protein overload this summer due to accidently leaving my protein treatment in too long. I didn't lose any length but the major symptom was rough hair. It took my hair a month to fully return to normal. Week by week it got better and better. All I did was DC weekly and for longer than usual (3-4 hours). I also made sure to moisturize daily and tuck away my ends. HTH

HeChangedMyName : It was an Aphogee Leavin. Is VO5 moisture milks a good coditioner to use? I say someone on here talking about it but I cant find the post. They have it at my local dollar store so I thought it probaly was too cheap....but what do I know.

Try ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer! This always gets my hair to become very manageable after a hardcore protein treatment. If you don't have this, try every moisturizing conditioner you have in your stash. However, read the ingredients to make sure it doesn't contain protein in the conditioner as well.

I hope this works and keep us posted. BTW, its too soon to think about cutting. Actually, don't think that way period. Best wishes!

Oh Thank GOODNESS!! I hate getting trims but I was really mentally preparing myself to lose a couple of inches.

Stop using your products that contqin protein. I started cowashing and reducing my shampoos to everyother week and deep conditioning twice a week. Also silk elements ultra moisturizing conditioner was what helped turn my hair around the fastest the expensive moisture DCs did okay. Oh and I stoped using coconut oil and advocado oil until my hair recovered.

I recently protein overloaded and it took several attempts before balance restore -- moisture, moisture, moisture. The aphogee balancing did nothing for my hair. I used Kenra, but that didn't even do the trick. What helped the most was using lustrasilk shea/mango butter and stop using protein for a while. Elasta qp mango butter is a protein so I'm told, so find another moisturizer.

What did you use as the base for Cathy Howse's recipe? Did you follow the recipe and add enough EVOO & CO? I use a reconstructor as a base- either aphoghee 2 minute or Aveda damage remedy. I DC with heat for about 20 minutes. I rinse & follow up with a moisture mask DC for another 20 minutes. No stiffness at all.

It is on the 19th, do you think the brillo will be gone by then???

@Drtondalia, As the other Ladies have stated, Moisture is the key to fixing PO, do alot of CW's, alot of DC's, and keep it very moist, I suggest S-Curl Jheri Curl Activator, keep it saturated at all times! As for your event, you may have to consider a nice wig, just for that night, but all the while, having it "Extremely Moisturized" underneath! It will be fine, You'll see!

ETA: Be very sure that you read ingredients, cause a "Moisturing Product" can still have protein, be sure you know the less common "Names" for protein, because they slide them in sometimes!

Last edited:
I recently protein overloaded and it took several attempts before balance restore -- moisture, moisture, moisture. The aphogee balancing did nothing for my hair. I used Kenra, but that didn't even do the trick. What helped the most was using lustrasilk shea/mango butter and stop using protein for a while. Elasta qp mango butter is a protein so I'm told, so find another moisturizer.

Can I use shea butter?

Last edited:
What did you use as the base for Cathy Howse's recipe? Did you follow the recipe and add enough EVOO & CO? I use a reconstructor as a base- either aphoghee 2 minute or Aveda damage remedy. I DC with heat for about 20 minutes. I rinse & follow up with a moisture mask DC for another 20 minutes. No stiffness at all.

I used Mane & Tail Herbal conditioner.

Moisture!!! My secret blend is........1/2 VERY ripe small avocado ($0.50) + Silk Elements Mega Moisture ($10.00) Conditioner + coconut cream ($1.50) + oil of choice. I don't measure quantities - just mix until I get a consistency that I like - thick & creamy. Apply and steam for 45 min if possible, then wrap your hair in plastic conditioner cap and saran wrap and put on an old hat. Go to bed and wake up to SUPER MOSTURIZED hair.

HeChangedMyName : It was an Aphogee Leavin. Is VO5 moisture milks a good coditioner to use? I say someone on here talking about it but I cant find the post. They have it at my local dollar store so I thought it probaly was too cheap....but what do I know.

Can I use shea butter?

I used Mane & Tail Herbal conditioner.

1) Pleaseee don't use any avocado, avocado is a protein. Coconut products tend to help prevent protein loss, so dont use any of those either.

2) You said that you used the ApHogee leave-in? ApHogee is a protein based line. Avoid it if you have a protein overload or are protein sensitive.

3) So is the Mane N Tail Herbal conditioner what caused the protein overload then?? Here are the ingredients, protein is bolded.

Ingredients: DI Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Hydroxyethyl Ethylcellulose, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Sweet Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Shea butter, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-150 Sterate, Polysurbate 60, Steareth-20, Stearamidopropyl Dimethlyamine Lactate, Keratin Amino Acids, Wheat Protein, Fragrance, Laureth-7, Lauryl Alcohol, Panthenol, Horsetail Grass, Chaparral, Colts Foot, Horse Chestnut, Meadow Sweet and Red Clover, DMDM Hydantoin, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Niacin, L-Arginine, Citric Acid, Blue #1, Yellow #5

4) The V05 Moisture Milks does have some protein in it. :yep: Protein is bolded. Anything "soy" is protein.

Ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Stearate, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Orange 4, Red 4, Polysorbate 20, Red 40, Propylene Glycol, Stearyl Alcohol, Steareth 21, Tocopheryl Acetate, Passiflora Incarnata Flower Extract, Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Prunus Persica (Peach) Fruit Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Niacinamide, Biotin (Vitamin H)

5) Are you sure you arent protein sensitive? And yes you could use shea butter to seal in moisture. Try adding some aloe vera juice to the ends of your hair or to your moisturizing leave-ins/DC's. Your ends might also have raised cuticles so that may help to seal them. :D

Is hydrolyzed collagen also a protein? I have noticed this in a lot of "moisturizing" products. The research I did on it left me confused.

try my emergency product: curl junkie curl rehab with a plastic cap and then don't rinse it off, or try it overnight. it has no protein-no aminoacids-nothing like that and it's powerful oversupermegamoisture / works as an overmoisturizing leave in. I used the coconut and gardenia one. It may be much more expensive than other products but please try it before cutting your hair (it saved me from a bad ayurvedic yoghurt protein craziness).

Last edited:
What is a good moisturizing conditioner?
Cheap and accessible...Suave Humectant or Aussie Moist Conditioner

BTW don't wet your hair again...just layer your moisturizing con on top of your dry hair and wrap it with saran wrap (works better than a baggie).

Last edited:
Back