MY PROTEIN OVERLOAD....OH WHAT TO DO??

Hey Everyone!! :wave:

So lastnight I co-washed and DC'd my hair with Pantene Pro-V Realaxed & Natural Conditioner. I left it on for like 6 hours. Rinsed it out and did a roller set. It air dried really quickly so I had to keep wetting it with my water/coconut oil spray bottle. I wet a section then coated the section in s-curl spray, then I sealed it with coconut oil, lastly I put on about a fingertips worth of QP Elasta setting something or another and rolled it on a combination of perm rods and satin rollers. I used alot of rods/rollers like 4 or 5 packs.

When my husband saw me this morning he said "Ok, I see you on ya Corinne Bailey Rae." I think I'll just wear it like this for the next month or so. I did'nt feel any of the brillo stiffness I felt before. It feels a trillion times better than it did. Thanks everybody for all your help. :clap:

Drtondalia, I am so Happy to hear of your recovery, I told you that everything would work itself out! Now, from this point, No Protein for a while, just moisture! And, Please be sure to read ingredients!

to be honest. i dont think you have anything to worry about. just DC over night, for a few nights and your problem should be solved. dont have to cut at all.

@Drtondalia, Of Course, My Dear! Thats what were here for! It happens, don't feel as tho your first and only option is to cut, its a process of elimination, exhaust all resources first! Lol!

Told You it would be alrite!:yep::yep::yep:

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Is hydrolyzed collagen also a protein? I have noticed this in a lot of "moisturizing" products. The research I did on it left me confused.

Mmmmmhhhmmmm.... it's one of the main ones, along with keratin. Don't let marketing labels as "moisturizing" fool you.

What is a good moisturizing conditioner?

OP congrats on soon to be Obgyn status! You're gonna need all the sleep you can get :) I'm cosigning with the other ladies, and I won't confuse you hopefully, just wanted to say that

1. Ignore the marketing label "moisturizing" on bottles
2. a good moisturizing or humectant form of conditioner, you'll wanna look for water as the number one ingredient, followed by something like glycerin, propylene glycol, or polyquaternium as the number 2 or 3 ingredient. If there's protein, make sure it's faaaaarrr down the list or not at all.
3. I have had great success with Keracare humecto, Nexxus Humectress (Sally's generic brand also), and Suave humectress. My fave is Keracare, I go away from it and always return

my answer to this is to always CLARIFY. Shampoo your hair with a true clarifying shampoo...actually Suave makes one that is cheap and works. Get your hair squeaky clean in the shower from roots to tips. You'll notice how the tips take the longest to squeak. At that point you are build-up/overload free and can start all over again.

I use Cathy Howse products and they are VERY strong protein and must be followed with a moisturizing conditioner. I will sometimes use light protein because I tend to get overloaded too. Use a steam too, that will get the ends moist again.

HTH

Back