My natural hair has NO curl pattern...thoughts?

Supervixen

Hi friends,

I know hair types do not matter, but after frequenting hair forums for years now, I'm frustrated that none of the types seem to match my hair.

After 2.5 years of transitioning (cutting relaxed hair off 1-2x a month or so), I do not have curls, coils or z-patterns. I have waves; I have a lot of COURSE natural hair and a bit of relaxed hair that I pressed weekly for the first months at the beginning of my transition. Now, I press 1-2x a month.

I included a pic that I saw at BHM that was the closest to my natual type. Most of my natural hair looks most similar to the young lady below, but more course. What is this type? 2c? All constructive thoughts and opinions are appreciated!!!! Thanks!

type-exception.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a 2b - 3a to me, because I do see large curl patterns on the photo you posted. But the curls are at the ends of the hair. If not then I would say 2b/2c.

Hi friends,

I know hair types do not matter, but after frequenting hair forums for years now, I'm frustrated that none of the types seem to match my hair.

After 2.5 years of transitioning (cutting relaxed hair off 1-2x a month or so), I do not have curls, coils or z-patterns. I have waves; I have a lot of COURSE natural hair and a bit of relaxed hair that I pressed weekly for the first months at the beginning of my transition. Now, I press 1-2x a month.

I included a post that I saw at BHM that was the most detailed hair typing I'd ever seen. Most of my natural hair looks most similar to the young lady below, but more course. What is this type? 2c? All constructive thoughts and opinions are appreciated!!!! Thanks!

type-exception.jpg

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81738&PN=2

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have decided to try and replicate the hair type chart that [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.blendedbeauty.net[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] used to have. For some reason they replaced it with a different chart, but I thought the old one was good. So I've triedto work from memory and replicate it as best as possible. I welcome any constructive criticism or suggestions for improvement! [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hair typing system by AfroGerman_girl (derived from the old hair typing system on [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.blendedbeauty.net[/FONT]<FONT face="Times New Roman">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif])[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 1 – straight hair[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 1 – Straight hair
straight.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 2a – big loose waves
2a.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 2b – smaller, tighter waves
2b.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 3a – big, loose curls
3a.jpg
[/FONT]

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 3b – big cupid curls to small spiral curls[/FONT]

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">

The whole front half of my hair looks like this. I typed mine as 2c/3a but if behaves like type 3c/4a hair :ohwell:

Maybe you pressed your curls away. So you don't have a curl pattern anymore. Yep that's probably what happened. Your hair probably wasn't able to take the frequent pressings and now the curl pattern has been lost.

I don't have curls, coils, or z-patterned hair either. Although my tresses are much tighter than the picture you provided (4a mostly) it has a definite "s" pattern that forms waves when coaxed. Someone with "o" patterned hair has springy curls that coil. An individual with "z" patterned hair has no definition.

Hair types from 2a to 4z can be curly, wavy, both or neither. It's confusing which is why most people ignore typing. Add in strand size (fine, medium, thick), hair density (thin, normal, thick), etc & you're bound to have a headache.

Depending on how much relaxed hair you have, your hair might be curlier than that picture when you actually cut off the relaxed hair. I've seen it time and time again on this site and other sites.

The lady in the picture is 2c IMO. The hair types don't really take hair texture like coarse and fine into consideration, only curl diameter... :)

Please post some pictures of your hair too :D

Maybe you pressed your curls away. So you don't have a curl pattern anymore. Yep that's probably what happened. Your hair probably wasn't able to take the frequent pressings and now the curl pattern has been lost.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Some people's natural hair just can't handle being pressed often, even with heat protectant. Over time the heat may have damaged your hair to the point that you lost your original curl pattern and now it won't revert back. I used to press my every 3-4 weeks in middle and high school and my natural hair was left wavy (not uniform and definitely funny looking).

Anyway, maybe you should lay off the pressing for a few months and see what your new growth looks like. If it's still growing in wavy then your probably somewhere in the 2 range. It's possible to have wavy, coarse hair, I've definitely seen it.

The fact that your hair is coarse is probably more important because it needs different treatment in order to make sure it's moisturized properly. You should definitely search the board about for info on coarse hair. And I think someone has a blog called The Coarse Hair Diaries (I think) so try searching google for it because it may have helpful info.

The pic you posted looks somewhat similar to my hair once it air dries. I don't really have curls, just waves...and I believe that I'm 3c.

It is VERY common for people to have coarse AND loose curls/waves on the same head. Coarse hair usually has trouble retaining moisture which is why you complain of it being dry. Ladies with COARSE hair, chime in!

You cannot be sure until all of the relaxed hair has been cut off. My hair used to look wavy (my hair was actually wavy when I was a child though) but once I chopped it off I'll say it's a 3c

Last edited:
Right now I just have waves and no curls. In the back which never took to relaxers the hair is very dense and almost curly.

I figured six months would be enough to know your curl pattern, but I guess you can't tell unless you cut off the relaxed hair? (My relaxed hair is wave too.)

What does hair type matter, anyway?

If I am a 2c, I'm not impressed at all. A few waves and a bunch of puffy frizz. The 4's around here have much prettier curls.

Really depends on which chart you're using. Looks like 3a/3b to me. I don't see it as a 2 at all, since it's mostly curls and not waves. 2 hair is only waves. You do have a curl pattern, just not what you expect.

I linked my hair in the naked hair thread. I don't know how to attach thumbnails. There is no curl pattern, but like people said, it might be the relaxed ends which are wavy as well. Could be heat damage but I really don't flat iron that much... especially since I started the hhj.

Edit to try and post a picture.
nekked1.jpg

if not here's the link
my hurr damp

Last edited:
When you say your hair has no curl pattern- are you saying previously it was curly and now its not? Or were you just expecting something curlier? You can't tell your real pattern until you cut off the relaxed ends. Those ends weigh down the hair and it COULD be why your hair is wavy vs curly...but maybe your hair is just wavy. I know plenty of AA women with wavy/coarse hair. It doesn't have to be damaged if your hair doesn't curl up if it never did in the first place

When you say your hair has no curl pattern- are you saying previously it was curly and now its not? Or were you just expecting something curlier? You can't tell your real pattern until you cut off the relaxed ends. Those ends weigh down the hair and it COULD be why your hair is wavy vs curly...but maybe your hair is just wavy. I know plenty of AA women with wavy/coarse hair. It doesn't have to be damaged if your hair doesn't curl up if it never did in the first place

Thanks for the input. I think it's probably just the relaxed ends as you say. I don't think there could be heat damage because my drug of choice was the curling iron not pressing or flat ironing and I haven't done much of that since February.

I have no idea what curl pattern I might have had. When I was little my mom pressed my hair. Then I would blow dry it straight and then I started getting relaxers.

I'm just anxious and eager to see what my hair looks like!

coarseness has nothing to do with curl pattern. you can have coarse 1b hair. it just means the strands are thick. you can have fine 4b hair. it just means you have fine hair that doesn't technically have a curl pattern (i disagree with 4b not having a "curl" however but that's for another discussion)

sounds like heat damage to me....

heat is heat - no matter what type of styling tool u use....i don't think an accurate assessment can be made until you cut off all the str8 ends and stop using heat for at least 6 months....

**Bumping**

I have been heat free for a year (so it can't be heat damage) and the front of my head also does not have a curl pattern :perplexed
I'm really hoping someone else with this problem can chime in as far as styling and care options (I know this is just something I'm going to have to live with, but there has to be a way to manage it .. lol)

Last edited:
**Bumping**

I have been heat free for a year (so it can't be heat damage) and the front of my head also does not have a curl pattern :perplexed
I'm really hoping someone else with this problem can chime in as far as styling and care options (I know this is just something I'm going to have to live with, but there has to be a way to manage it .. lol)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there isn't anything you can do about it, but try to blend it with the curlier texture. My hair is exactly like that. It lacks definition at the top whereas the rest of my hair forms perfect coils. I posted a thread about this a few months ago, and alot of members have the same issue.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there isn't anything you can do about it, but try to blend it with the curlier texture. My hair is exactly like that. It lacks definition at the top whereas the rest of my hair forms perfect coils. I posted a thread about this a few months ago, and alot of members have the same issue.

Yes! my exact problem: perfect coils in the back none in the front
Thank you so much! I'm off to find that thread..

I was just about to ask this question about the whole curl and wave pattern issue. I don't think that if you are a 4b that means no curls or waves or that if you are 2/3 that means automatically curls and waves. I find that finer/denser hair patterns tend to not have any curls or waves especially in the front part of the hair and this is obvious when hair is pulled back. And this has nothing to do with coarseness of hair. Even on the last thread with the 2/3 insipiration, I really did not think all those women who were typed as 2/3 belonged in there; I thought that some of them had 3c-4a hair. This is why I don't care for typing.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Back