My mom is trying to get me bald!!

katie

I'm home on vacation and my mom is bothering me sooooooooo much.
First of all,she tells me to wash my hair once a month since she thinks my hair is getting shorter.Of course she doesn't understand shrinkage.I am 5 weeks post relaxer and my super thiick hair just gets thicker and grows outward around this time so it looks shorter.She would never understand this and is bugging me to wash my hair less often.
Then she starts bugging me about my unattractive hair styles aka wet buns.Saying BS like young ladies need to look attractive at this age.And how I should be flat ironing and wearing my hair open everyday.She even said it doesn't matter if your hair gets damaged since this is the time of your life to have damaged hair
confused.gif

Finally the last straw,she said she doesn't like my braidouts and made me go to this lady to get my hair twisted.The fool used a fine toothed comb and despite my protests I lost a ton of hair.

I am so mad right now!!!!!!!
mad.gif

Just wanted to vent
From now on I am doing my own thing and not listening to her at alllllllll.
mad.gif
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
She even said it doesn't matter if your hair gets damaged since this is the time of your life to have damaged hair
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

"She even said it doesn't matter if your hair gets damaged since this is the time of your life to have damaged hair"
----------
YIKES
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I am sorry to hear this. Hopefully you can tune your mother out during the rest of your vacation.

My mother recently told me my hair was getting too long and I should cut it
laugh.gif
.. Im so scared, thinking she is going to cut it while Im asleep
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
She even said it doesn't matter if your hair gets damaged since this is the time of your life to have damaged hair
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing!
lachen70.gif

Yep.I'm very serious.I will really just have to tune her out.It will be hard though.I am home for the next 5 months.

And that stupid lady who did those twists used a whole ton of hair hardening gel.So I paid $30 to lose a ton of hair and have a rock hard mess on my head.
I can't wait to wash this mess out!
mad.gif

This is just another case of "Parents Just dont understand"
My mother once told me the dirtier your hair is, the faster it grows. I am so glad she got a reality check, before she made me lose all my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
My mother recently told me my hair was getting too long and I should cut it
laugh.gif
.. Im so scared, thinking she is going to cut it while Im asleep
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Watch ya back!
wink.gif
Why can't black women have long hair and it not be such an "issue"?
confused.gif

Oh My! I dont' know what to say. You know whats best and whats been working for you, so just ignore her hair advice. I'm sorry about the bad twist! Doesn't it irratate you when you feel like you payed someone to jack up your hair? My mom advised me to cut off 2 inches of hair, because its not "full enough". Um hello, I'm not a freaking Patene model! As long as the ends are healthy, it doesn't look anorexic thin and its even, I'm leaving it alone. She's the women who did my 1 inch "trims" last year.

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, are you serious?

Katie, I'm sorry to hear this (although the comment about "this is the time for damaged hair" is HILARIOUS). Be polite, but just ignore your mom when she starts bothering you. I know you'll be home for 5 months, but if you keep letting her pressure you into going to crappy stylists and flat ironing your hair, etc, you will have lost a year's progress by the time you leave. Good luck with everything.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

she cant be..
huh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
Pooleylou,I'm almost 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

katie, your not alone, I'm also 22 but I go through the same issues with my mom. she thinks washing hair more then 1 once every 2 weeks is damaging. Just do what you know is right for the long run of your hair.
smile.gif

OMG why do moms have to drink so much "hateraid"? She should be happy for you and asking you how to get her hair longer too. Or does she already have long hair and doesn't want any competition? Moms do that sometimes!

Girl just keep your head up and ignore her. It will get easier the more you do it! Good Luck holding out for 5 months!
smile.gif

Is your mom the type that is still living back in the good ol' days? Maybe trying explaining to her what you are trying to achieve with your hair and your hair goals. Tell her how damaging the different types of irons can be to your hair. I don't think anything is wrong with wearing your hair down but explain to her that there's nothing wrong with wearing it up in a wet bun or some protective style to promote growth.

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
The fool used a fine toothed comb and despite my protests I lost a ton of hair.

[/ QUOTE ]SAME THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME!! i told her to the wide tooth comb that i brought with me and she said "no thank you". i lost A LOT of hair. Why the hell would you comb some thick 4a/b hair with a fine tooth comb

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
The fool used a fine toothed comb and despite my protests I lost a ton of hair.

[/ QUOTE ]SAME THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME!! i told her to the wide tooth comb that i brought with me and she said "no thank you". i lost A LOT of hair. Why the hell would you comb some thick 4a/b hair with a fine tooth comb

[/ QUOTE ]

woah, according to growafrohairlong.com fine tooth combs on type 4 NATURAL hair is very bad and will cause breakage
frown.gif

I couldn't wait til tomorrow so I washed out that "hairstyle" a few hours ago and my hair is now feeling great.I told my mom I am not doing any twists by that lady again.
I definitely wouldn't say she is jealous of my hair.She is really really supportive of it and praises me when she sees how good my hair is growing.But at the same time she doesn't like the things I do to help achieve and retain length eg protective styles
She was like,whats the point of growing your hair if you wear it up all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

she cant be..
huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.She was being serious.She was like you should try to have healthy hair when you are a little girl and when you are married.But when you are an eligible bachelorette you need to damage your hair to look good and catch a mate.I really wanted to laugh in her face when she said that.It took a lot of restraint,lol.

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

she cant be..
huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.She was being serious.She was like you should try to have healthy hair when you are a little girl and when you are married.But when you are an eligible bachelorette you need to damage your hair to look good and catch a mate.I really wanted to laugh in her face when she said that.It took a lot of restraint,lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
How in the hell can you attract somebody with dull broken brittle hair (i know that its still possible though)? I know men are clueless when it comes to hair care but Im pretty sure most of them know a damaged head when they see one
laugh.gif

GIRL

we are in the saaame boat. I'm natural, been so since my senior year of HS, so November of 2002. Anyhoo.. My mom says I'll never find a boyfriend, I should have relaxed hair... I look ugly having kinky hair and all that. Well.. I just tell her I'm 18 now and I have ot make my own decisions. Mother's don't understand what it's like now days to be young black women. Do your own thing for now!! Eventually she'll have to respect your decision.

Back