My Little Dilemma...PLEASE HELP!

alopeciagrl

Hey ladies I need your advice. My hair has taken a turn for the worst. It's shedding, been destroyed by my wool sweaters and and basically has left me back where I started in January. Mine you I am in the Ayurvedic challenge and also the APL 09 challenge.

So basically in an effort to save my hair I have three options.

• Sew in
    • Pros: This will allow me to apply oils to my hair
    • Cons: Strings can cause hair breakage and I don't want that
  • Glue in w/ Cap
    • Pros: Easy, Fast, Hair will not be touched
    • Cons: Will not be able to apply oils and scared the glue will soak through on my hair
  • Wig
    • Pro: hair will not be touched and can apply oils, co wash whatever
    • Cons: They really don’t look all that great on me and besides I had alopecia for two years. I was forced to wear a wig and right now I am REALLY OVER IT!!!!
I am really having hair anxiety. Please help ladies I need your support...WHAT SHOULD I DO??? :cry:

Hey ladies I need your advice. My hair has taken a turn for the worst. It's shedding, been destroyed by my wool sweaters and and basically has left me back where I started in January. Mine you I am in the Ayurvedic challenge and also the APL 09 challenge.

So basically in an effort to save my hair I have three options.

• Sew in
    • Pros: This will allow me to apply oils to my hair
    • Cons: Strings can cause hair breakage and I don't want that
  • Glue in w/ Cap
    • Pros: Easy, Fast, Hair will not be touched
    • Cons: Will not be able to apply oils and scared the glue will soak through on my hair
  • Wig
    • Pro: hair will not be touched and can apply oils, co wash whatever
    • Cons: They really don’t look all that great on me and besides I had alopecia for two years. I was forced to wear a wig and right now I am REALLY OVER IT!!!!
I am really having hair anxiety. Please help ladies I need your support...WHAT SHOULD I DO??? :cry:
It doesn't look so bad in the siggy photos, but I believe you. Sweaters can wreak havoc...it has happened to me and i got a W formation at the back because of it like you I think. I wouldn't do all those options you listed. I would rock a pretty, highly placed on your head French roll or twist. This way you can keep the ends nice and tucke in. use the Good Hair Days pins

Shedding is normal so unless you're seeing bald spots or extreme thinning I wouldn't worry. Stop wearing wool sweaters. I don't know your regimen now but you should be really protective of your ends, stop using heat, and make sure your hair's strength and moisture is on point. The thread from weaves has never been a problem for me because I moisturize my hair thoroughly underneath.

All I wear is sew-ins and I LOOOOVVVVEEE THEM, my hair has grown so much!!!! I really like them, seriously!

Can you bun or do some other protective style that requires low manipulation?

Nope my hair is way to thin for a bun. If I had a little more lenghth maybe. But since I'm not supposed to use direct heat I don't know any protective styles I can wear w/o curling then pinning up.

It doesn't look so bad in the siggy photos, but I believe you. Sweaters can wreak havoc...it has happened to me and i got a W formation at the back because of it like you I think. I wouldn't do all those options you listed. I would rock a pretty, highly placed on your head French roll or twist. This way you can keep the ends nice and tucke in. use the Good Hair Days pins

Yes instead of a W I have an n. It makes me sick. I was doing so good. I hate to be soo upset and negative but I was doing everything. Applying oils, vitamins, etc...ok I'm calm now :ohwell:

I know MSA heat is definitely my downfall. I think I was addicted to flat ironing my natural hair just to see how well a product worked and those wool sweaters...:nono: another downfall especially when their own sale :grin:

But seriously now I know to wear protective style in the winter. Just keep in mind ladies October was the first time I wore my hair down since I dealt with aplopecia so I was REALLY excited. Not too mention finding this site and trying out al the different products.

I KNOW LISTEN TO ME...FULL OF EXCUSES...LOL!

What about half wigs, phony ponies, cornrows or a UPA Clip? Those are all very hair friendly when done correctly :)

What about half wigs, phony ponies, cornrows or a UPA Clip? Those are all very hair friendly when done correctly :)

I agree with Tiffers. You can still take care of your hair on a daily basis, and these options are much better than a sew in. I wouldn't recommend a glue in for anything unless it's a one night special occasion, but even then, I'd be careful.

:yep: :yep: :yep:
Great advice. I love my pins. Wearing a sweater? Wear your hair up unless you have a hair texture that glides over fabric like silk.

You haven't really said what (other than sweaters) caused your hair to take a turn for the worse. And sweaters cause end breakage and have nothing to do with shedding which is normal. Could the ayurvedic regimen be causing problems for your hair? Shedding often has something to do with the products we are using and a simple change can correct the problem. What are your current products and how often are you using them?

I can't believe Cathy Howse said sweaters and wool can't be the cuase of breakage :look: A LIE! Anyway, I think you should just find cut hair candy and bun for a month or two and use a growth aide to help your hiar come back faster

Sorry to hear that you are going through this....

Even if your hair is to short to bun- you could bun with a phony pony, mane clip or UPA clip. And like Tiffers said Half Wigs can be an excellent option as well.

Not sure what your regimen is, but what I have found helpful is that after I wash, apply my leavins and smooth my hair into a bun with a satin hair scruncy. I then place a scarf over my hair and it all dries smoothly.

I will link you to the phony pony thread...this is chock full of ideas that you can duplicate
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=347467&highlight=

Back