My last two rollersets....

Mandy4610

I have no idea where I have gone wrong, but my last two rollersets have been absolutely horrible. My hair turned out puffy/frizzy/dry and an absolute mess. Everything was fine from DCing to the actual rolling, it was after I took out the rollers that the mess showed up.
I have garbaged a few products that I think where the culprits but I am not sure what has gone wrong. Lately I tried CON leave-in the new organic one, I am beginning to think this was the reason:nono::nono:. I also wonder if adding moisturizer to my prepoo concoction also mess me up ( my hair felt good after prepooing though:perplexed).
Anywway does anyone have any suggestions for me? TIA

Are you air drying or drying with heat? Also, how much product are you using before you put the rollers on? With rollersets, less product will produce the best rollersets.

ETA: What type of rollers are you using?

is your hair 100% dry when you take out the rollers?

and are you smoothing out the hair before rolling it?

if my hair's smoothed onto the roller, and i don't take out the rollers until they're all the way dry, my sets turn out great.

also, do you use a serum? serums are good for smoothing down the hair before putting the roller in.

Are you air drying or drying with heat? Also, how much product are you using before you put the rollers on? With rollersets, less product will produce the best rollersets.

ETA: What type of rollers are you using?
Thanks for replying. I am drying with heat. I may be adding too much products. Usually I use just a leave-in and a little moisturizer. But last night I used a leave-in, a styling lotion (Which I decided to garbage after this rollerset) and a moisturiser. Is this too much?
I used the magnetic rollers with caps.

is your hair 100% dry when you take out the rollers?

and are you smoothing out the hair before rolling it?

if my hair's smoothed onto the roller, and i don't take out the rollers until they're all the way dry, my sets turn out great.

also, do you use a serum? serums are good for smoothing down the hair before putting the roller in.
I have never used a serum before. What exactly does it do?
I always make sure my hair is 100% dry, but it was so late last night that if my hair was not completely dry, I wouldn't have even noticed because I was half asleep:ohwell:.
I try to smooth as much as I can, I will try even harder:perplexed

Thanks for replying. I am drying with heat. I may be adding too much products. Usually I use just a leave-in and a little moisturizer. But last night I used a leave-in, a styling lotion (Which I decided to garbage after this rollerset) and a moisturiser. Is this too much?

It might be too many products. I only use Silicon mix leave in and LOTS of water on my hair (in a spray bottle). My hair is soaking wet and dripping when I comb it with a rat tail comb. And then I smooth my strands with my thumb and index finger. Then I wrap it around the roller with an end wrapping paper to protect the ends.

When I'm done with it, I do put a little serum (dime sized amount) in my hair, flat iron the roots, then I might wrap it to take some of the body out and that's it.

So only one product when it's wet, and I add another product when it's dry.

It took me over a year to get the hang of rollersetting, so don't give up. Finding my staple one product to use when my hair is wet, and making sure my hair is soaking/dripping wet before I wrapped it on the rollers was key for me.

I agree on minimizing the products. Are you making sure you rinse your conditioner completely from your hair before you add leave-ins? That could be a problem. Try using just a leave-in and some serum (and water) to rollerset. Good luck.

This is why I am getting the Macherieamour Rollerset DVD for my B-day next week.:grin: Many people on HealthyTextures.com and my sister have achieved quicker rollerset application and successful results.

The only products she uses: 1)Wide Tooth Comb 2) Rattail 3) Magnetic rollers 4) Duckbill Clip 5) Water Bottle 6)Keracare Leave-in Conditioner 7) Fantasia Serum

My sister says it worth the $17 bucks. She starts the video with washing and conditioning her hair on the dvd in the shower (fully dressed in the shower) and proceeds to show how she applys rollers and styling products and then shows the finished product.

Commercial and Video of rollerset/saran wrap technique Below: (Take A Look)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJs_Iqm91c :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4 :grin:

Last edited:
Are you keeping your hair soaking wet while you're setting?

It still takes me about 30 minutes to roll my whole head, so after the first couple of sections, I have to start spraying with my spray bottle. If I don't then I end up with a horrible frizzy mess.

This is why I am getting the Macherieamour Rollerset DVD for my B-day next week.:grin: Many people on HealthyTextures.com and my sister have achieved quicker rollerset application and successful results.

ITA, I have pics of my rollersets in my fotki, my first one ever was the airdried one that I took pics of. That was my first rollerset I'd ever done and it was perfect. All the sets I've done were perfect and I have Macherie's DVD to thank:yep:

I use alittle ORS olive oil (in the jar) after my wash and DC. I spray my hair with only water while I'm doing the rolling.

Yeah, I think that may be too much product.

On your next set, try to use as little product as you can. Spray only water-make it dripping wet- onto each piece/section of hair right before you put it on the roller, make sure it's totally dry and you should be okay. HTH

ETA:: When you make each section soaking wet, comb through it and then put it on the roller, that will ensue the hair lays flat and you'll get a smoother curl.:yep: After it's dry, you can put something else on your curls for shine (maybe alittle oil or something, but not too heavy)

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for all this very useful info. This is the first time my rollersets came out so frizzy, its weired. I will definitely put all this info to good use. I am seriously going to buy Macherie's DVD. I have been watching some of her videos and that girl knows her stuff:yep:.
Please explain to me what a serum really does and if I really need it. TIA

Back