My hairdresser hates this board!

OnlyErin

Hey all, I'm still shaking my head over the confrontation I had with my (I guess now EX) hairdresser.

First off, he lives in my building and works in the shop in my building (I live in a resort-like, all-inclusive apt. building that has a spa/salon, grocery, dry cleaners', etc.) So, I see this guy often even outside the shop, which was why I hesitated to stop going to him even after I ceased enjoying the work he did on my hair - just too awkward to run into him when I had my hair done by someone else! And I didn't feel like sneaking around and taking the back stairs just to avoid him. He's an okay stylist - decent styles and I never burn with him with relaxers - but he is too scissor-happy, and when he has personal issues, he more often than not takes them out on people's hair . . . and in the past few months, he's been having mad personal issues.

ANNNYWAY, I run into him at the grocery on our ground floor, and he's all, "I haven't seen you in the shop for awhile. You need a retouch." And I tell him that I know that, and that I'm planning on getting one in two weeks (it'll be my eighth week) and that my new growth has been manageable. Then he actually starts PICKING through my hair /images/graemlins/mad.gif before I can say something and is all, "Have you been hot combing your roots? It's bad for the hair." And I said, "No, I've been visiting some black hair boards and getting tips on how to make relaxer stretch and tame new growth (i.e. coconut oil, protective styles, heavy-duty conditioner).

That's when the ish hit. He starts going off right in the middle of the dang store /images/graemlins/nuts.gif He's like, "Please tell me you are not going to nappturality (I think that's what he said) and longhaircare.com." And I was taken aback, because he doesn't seem very computer literate. I told him that I had not gone to napputarity, but that yes, I had reged at LHC, and was getting wonderful tips. And then he started acting more a fool, saying that he had clients who had followed regimens that had caused their hair to fall out, that the people on the board who say their hair is a certain length are either lying or mixed with something non-black, and that in another month or two, I'll be bald and crying because I listened to the advice of people who are "not licensed cosmetologists." That was his main point - He went to Timbuktu U for a cosmetology license, he's the expert, so HE should know what's best for my hair. I then said to him, "If that's true, then why the @&#& did you underprocess my hair at my last touchup?!" Then he got all quiet and looked at my hair and said I must have "done something" to make the roots look puffy and unrelaxed.

I'm fit to be tied. I trusted this madman with my hair! Are all hairdressers as loopy as this guy when clients want to be proactive and actually keep some hair on their head? If anybody's in Miami, then help a sista out, 'cause I need a new hairdresser STAT.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
And then he started acting more a fool, saying that he had clients who had followed regimens that had caused their hair to fall out, that the people on the board who say their hair is a certain length are either lying or mixed with something non-black, and that in another month or two, I'll be bald and crying because I listened to the advice of people who are "not licensed cosmetologists."

[/ QUOTE ]

He must have the LHCF confused with another board. Many of us here can testify to the fact that we've gotten great advice here from members. I'm one of them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't sweat it girl. Just find yourself a new hairdresser who is not such a "drama queen". This guy apparently has a lot of issues; don't let him take them out on you or your hair. Good luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lol can u say madman?? /images/graemlins/nuts.gif that man sounds sooooooooo funny!!

hope u get a replacement soon /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I've never discussed any hair care board with my hair stylist. As far as I'm concerned, it's for me to know, and for her to find out on her own. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My sister thinks I am crazy too, but hasn't she stolen my ORS and mango butter. Doesn't she still ask me to do her hair?

I am not a licensed cosmetologist but I have had some bad results with them. The ladies in here all say the same thing. We all make recommendations that work for our hair. Nobody will make a recommendation that didn't work. Not everyone will like a product or a styling method but nobody here would encourage you to do something harmful to your hair.

If it works for you continue it. Hair dressers make their money on retouches and hair cuts. I feel that he is biased because he wants your moola.

Hey---I just had a funny thought! What if he's reading this thread now!!!!!

Well if you are---then shame on you---I know what you're really doing. You're on this board to get tips to pass on to your clients. That way you can sound knowledgeable and stuff.....stop hating.

And you leave my girl alone...ya hear me now...back up.... /images/graemlins/whip.gif

daviine said:

Well if you are---then shame on you---I know what you're really doing. You're on this board to get tips to pass on to your clients. That way you can sound knowledgeable and stuff.....stop hating.

And you leave my girl alone...ya hear me now...back up.... /images/graemlins/whip.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Daviine,

LOL. Girl you are /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Wouldn't that be funny!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

roflmao@daviine /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

God, It's 3am, I need to sleep. Go to bed Ngaa!!!

Hair dressers hate on each other, on you and everyone else. My last two (2) actually care about hair. My current one will cut only 1/4 an inch because I told her of people cutting my hair against my will. I don't tell her exactly what I am doing but she compliments my growth success each visit. She allows me to bring my own shampoo and conditioner and doesn't even question it. So, in answer to your question, not all hairdressers are loopy.

daviine said:

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be lurking and slinking about. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Well, he gets no more money from me, that's for dang sure.

I don't know what the heezy his problem is. Maybe he does have this forum confused with another one, but it was weird that he knew it by name and knew that people posted pics here. And I don't know what his other clients - the ones with the jacked-up hair - told him, but I would assume that rational, intelligent women would understand that just because XYZ is working for one person, it's not going to work for them.

I guess I'm flabbergasted because it shows the depth of this man's dysfunction. He's always talking about healthy hair, and here I am trying to improve the health of my hair, and he's dissing me and my source. I love this board and only wish I'd found it sooner. Maybe it could have saved me from spending two years with this guy.

londongirl3 said

God, It's 3am, I need to sleep. Go to bed Ngaa!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol see what i meant about these hair boards?? cant go to bed coz everytime i try n log off some1 posts a reply!! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

OnlyErin said:
Hey all, I'm still shaking my head over the confrontation I had with my (I guess now EX) hairdresser.

First off, he lives in my building and works in the shop in my building (I live in a resort-like, all-inclusive apt. building that has a spa/salon, grocery, dry cleaners', etc.) So, I see this guy often even outside the shop, which was why I hesitated to stop going to him even after I ceased enjoying the work he did on my hair - just too awkward to run into him when I had my hair done by someone else! And I didn't feel like sneaking around and taking the back stairs just to avoid him. He's an okay stylist - decent styles and I never burn with him with relaxers - but he is too scissor-happy, and when he has personal issues, he more often than not takes them out on people's hair . . . and in the past few months, he's been having mad personal issues.

ANNNYWAY, I run into him at the grocery on our ground floor, and he's all, "I haven't seen you in the shop for awhile. You need a retouch." And I tell him that I know that, and that I'm planning on getting one in two weeks (it'll be my eighth week) and that my new growth has been manageable. Then he actually starts PICKING through my hair /images/graemlins/mad.gif before I can say something and is all, "Have you been hot combing your roots? It's bad for the hair." And I said, "No, I've been visiting some black hair boards and getting tips on how to make relaxer stretch and tame new growth (i.e. coconut oil, protective styles, heavy-duty conditioner).

That's when the ish hit. He starts going off right in the middle of the dang store /images/graemlins/nuts.gif He's like, "Please tell me you are not going to nappturality (I think that's what he said) and longhaircare.com." And I was taken aback, because he doesn't seem very computer literate. I told him that I had not gone to napputarity, but that yes, I had reged at LHC, and was getting wonderful tips. And then he started acting more a fool, saying that he had clients who had followed regimens that had caused their hair to fall out, that the people on the board who say their hair is a certain length are either lying or mixed with something non-black, and that in another month or two, I'll be bald and crying because I listened to the advice of people who are "not licensed cosmetologists." That was his main point - He went to Timbuktu U for a cosmetology license, he's the expert, so HE should know what's best for my hair. I then said to him, "If that's true, then why the @&amp;#&amp; did you underprocess my hair at my last touchup?!" Then he got all quiet and looked at my hair and said I must have "done something" to make the roots look puffy and unrelaxed.

I'm fit to be tied. I trusted this madman with my hair! Are all hairdressers as loopy as this guy when clients want to be proactive and actually keep some hair on their head? If anybody's in Miami, then help a sista out, 'cause I need a new hairdresser STAT.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that strikes me is, if he really cared about you taking care of your hair, why would he try to stifle your progress? That's not even right....people like that test my Christianity!

OnlyErin said:
And then he started acting more a fool, saying that he had clients who had followed regimens that had caused their hair to fall out, that the people on the board who say their hair is a certain length are either lying or mixed with something non-black, and that in another month or two, I'll be bald and crying because I listened to the advice of people who are "not licensed cosmetologists

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't know if he's referring to this board but It's more than likely he is. I don't care what piece of paper that man has or how many heads of hair he has done.

I personally would rather take my advice from any of you guys on this board and do it myself, because don't nobody know my hair like me.

He wants to come on this board and spout that rubbish. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Of course he's gonna be mad /images/graemlins/smile.gif The more you educate yourself about hair and hair techniques, the less money he gets in his pocket. I personally WOULD NOT let him do my hair again. He might take it out on your hair on your next appointment.

daviine said:

[/ QUOTE ]

DAVIINE /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif STOP!!!

A lot of these hairdressers are getting scared. Scared of loosing clients which equals loosing money. The internet is a powerful thing. Knowledge is a powerful thing. Here in Detroit (the hair capital of the world), there are so many going natural. Many hairdressers learning to do natural hair, since they are loosing customers to do-it yourself at home styling.

That's exactly why he's tripping. He is seeing less of you which means less money in his pocket. It's like a big secret amongst the stylist world. Keep 'em ignorant and they will always come with a problem to be fixed.

Why did he diss you because your trying to stretch out your relaxer? Why wasn't this man more open to suggestion? I don't care if stylists have a license they don't know EVERYTHING!!! He realizes that YOU are now trying to care for your hair on your own which makes you spend less time relying on him.

Dammit! Why did he pick through your hair like that? He wasn't in his salon!!

I have not gone to the hairdresser in almost a year! For one b/c i hate the wait to get to the damn sink, and then the rush to rip those tiny little combs through my hair with detangling it first. Secondly, I like leaving my conditioners on for at least 15 mins. whenever i request it, i get looks like i'm from hell or something. Lastly i get to save my money and buy new products !!!!!!

Honi said:
That's exactly why he's tripping. He is seeing less of you which means less money in his pocket. It's like a big secret amongst the stylist world. Keep 'em ignorant and they will always come with a problem to be fixed.

Why did he diss you because your trying to stretch out your relaxer? Why wasn't this man more open to suggestion? I don't care if stylists have a license they don't know EVERYTHING!!! He realizes that YOU are now trying to care for your hair on your own which makes you spend less time relying on him.

Dammit! Why did he pick through your hair like that? He wasn't in his salon!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit it right on the head. He hasn't seen me in about a month and a half. The last time I visited him, he actually tried to brush my hair while it was wet, I suppose because it was underprocessed and it was hard to get a comb through it, blow dried my hair within an inch of its life, then flat ironed it. My hair looked so limp and scary after that day, I started combing the internet for hair care sites and found a black hair board that led me to this one.

He was too wrong rooting through my hair like that, and he did it before I could even realize he was doing it. I was all, "What the hell is your problem?" But he was trying to say that I'd hot combed my roots to make the relaxer stretch, and didn't want to hear about the tips on stretching out touch-up time I'd picked up on this board.

No, I definitely will NOT be going back to him, though it will be awkward, as I mentioned, because he lives in my building and I see him all the time. I now have to find another hairdresser, which is a shame . . . because as crazy as he is, he never burned me with relaxers - not once - and I'd been to several hairdressers in Miami for whom I cannot say the same.

I don't go to hairdressers much anymore. My last visit which was 2 weeks ago was the last straw. A natural friend of mine who gets her hair press recommended her. I went there and asked for a rollerset. I told her my hair is not relaxed.

She washed my hair with some harsh shampoo, and didn't put enough conditioner on my hair, so it looked like a dry bush. She then commenced to using a fine tooth comb to detangle my hair /images/graemlins/mad.gif. I told her to please use a bigger comb which she did, but not before pulling out a 1/4 inch section of hair at my crown. She did the rollerset using a foam wrap (my hair wasn't going for it, it's very used to the creamwrap). I told her I use a brush to pull my hair taught. She looked at me as if I were crazy. She sat me under the dryer and when she took me out, my hair was a puffy mess. She went over each section with a flat iron (stove kind), and my hair still wasn't as straight when I do it at home (with less heat). I paid her, said thank you, and won't, haven't or plan to, see her again.

I went home and washed my hair the next day and let dry naturally, and then I washed again the next day then rollerset. I noticed that areas of my hair were only 1/8 of an inch long where she had ripped my hair out.

Since my hair is pretty thick, and she didn't pull my hair out to the point of bald spots, a person looking at my hair can't tell. But since I've been taking care of my hair by myself, I can tell what she's done.

Sometimes hairdressers know about as much as taking care of our hair than we do (most of the time less). A lot of hairdressers are out to give you a style, not save your hair. I know there are hairdressers out there that are different, but the almighty buck sometimes makes hairdressers less concerned with hair. They like to have you in a position where you are dependent on them and can't go to no one else.

It's dang right that some hairdressers are scared of this board!

I have to agree, we do know more then the hairdressers. My hairdresser calls her clients around their touch up times to see if they want to make an appointment. I told her that I'm not being cheap, I just don't have outgrowth to touch up every six to eight weeks and that I want to avoid as much overlapping as possible.

But then LondonDiva, gave out such good instructions,that I'm tempted to do my own touch up as soon as I find a good relaxer to use. And with all the other information given on rollersets, etc., a hairdresser really isn't that necessary to me. I've always cut my own hair. So, why spend the money. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif Like Beane said, I can buy really good products now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't sweat that guy.. he sounds like a jerk!!!

If he really cared about seeing you grow a healthy head of hair, he'd have applauded your efforts to take care of it on your own. He apparently took your learning to care for your hair from others personally and probably was insulted. Well, if he was a great stylist, he'd not have been insulted. Think about it: If you look at the greatest writers, entertainers, business leaders, etc., you'll see they have always one thing in common: humilty. That's what makes them great... &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" /&gt;

And that part about a lot of the ppl on this board being mixed or biracial, etc., was uncalled for!! EVERY TYPE of hair needs care and nourishment. He sounded like a field slave saying that nonsense! "ooo dem house ****** wif the "good hair" gets on mah damn nerves".. that's what he sounds like to me.

Girl, drop him.

He is just mad that you are learning to care for your hair on your own without him. Even if you were going to another hair dresser that was license he would have something to say. We all know that what may work for others may not work for us but it is worth a try. It is just like cosmetologist recommending stuff that don't work for our hair. What's the difference? That man make it seem like if we aren't mix with something that we as black people can't grow our hair. Like someone else stated, he is probably on this board taking tips and is mad that one of his clients know about this hair board. It is nothing wrong with that because as a Cosmetologist he/she should continue trying to learn about hair because you only learn the basics and with everything you have to continue learning. That is where a lot of Cosmetologist go wrong at. Not continuing to learn about their profession after receiving their licenses. Maybe not all but most and they get offended because you may say or ask or even tell them someting about your hair or hair in general and they're mad. They feel because you have no licenses that you know nothing. But don't hate on us hairdresser in Miami because we're learning to care for our hair.

P.S. I hope you have luck finding a new Hairdresser in Miami! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

girl, you said it! what these stylists don't realize is that helping a client achieve their goal results in unconditional loyalty! i'd rather see a client with a healthy head of hair less seldom than one where i'm always trying to undo the mess they made.

also, even if one is educated about caring for their hair, that doesn't mean they won't still want to be pampered by their stylist. hell, i know how to do a pedicure, but i go faithfully to let someone else do it EVERY two weeks.

him having a license means nothing! just because they know what to do doesn't mean they're good. i think most stylists biggest problem isn't being untrained. it's BEING UNWILLING TO LISTEN TO THEIR CLIENTS. saying "i want a trim" does not mean "cut two inches of hair." you don't need a /images/graemlins/censored.gif license to listen!!

see... now i'm heated!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

adrienne

Oh-oh. I don't wanna get nobody heated, least of all the hair doyenne Adrienne /images/graemlins/grin.gif

This guy isn't worth it, and maybe I won't even have to worry about scouring this place for a hairdresser. I just got a call for an interview for a job up in Jersey City - where I REALLY want to be. I may be getting out this swampland yet - with my hair intact!

Wish me luck!

Erin,

I'm sorry you had a run-in with your "hairdresser." Girl, if I'd been with you I would've /images/graemlins/spank.gif his behind. How dare he get on you for seeking knowledge about your hair!

Anyway, good luck with your job prospects!

Kedra

He does sound like a mad man. Some beauticians you just can't tell things like that because if you are not going to THEM they are not happy. I guess everyone has their own opinion about every thing but it's up to you to make your own decisions.

I'm sure some beauticians will make those remarks because they will be thinking that those on hair foruma are nothing but kitchen beauticians but the thing is at least WE are the one's learning everything about our own hair so we can be the ones to take care of it. It's not to say that there is anything wrong with going to a beautician because it isn't, I'm just saying that I don't see anything wrong with a person learning everything they can about their hair whether it's good or bad.

skegeesmb,
You are definitely right about that, When you enter beauty school, they teach you the basics, Even for the state board test you have to perform a fake relaxer application using cholesteral conditioning treatment) you have to perform a simple cut going across the back of the hair..as far as styling goes you have to perform a pincurl and fingerwave set.... nothing about caring for any particular type of hair.. They don't teach you how to style, only how to wash set and blow.... religiously!!!.. But my point is (because I'm rambling) that just because they hold that certificate does not mean they are wiser that you, when it comes to your own hair. Especially if you already have a common knowledge of what your hair needs.. I have been to hair school and trust me you girls know exactly what you're talking about...and this board is very beneficial because everyone is learning from every one's experience... that's the best way...when you ask your hairstylist advice about your hair he/she is giving you common knowledge... meaning they are just using common sense.. but for those that are so not into their hair it makes them feel better to hear from some one that they think is more experienced in that field... as for me,, I am so over that, I was in school like I can not beleive I am sitting here paying 10,000 for basically learning nothing of importance (just my opinion).... I am young, gorgeous,(not conceited)and very intelligent, so now I am a nursing student and it fills so much more fulfilling... To a wonderful future....

Chow

Of course your hairdresser hates this board! God forbid that we learn how to care for our hair ourselves and not become totally dependent on them. They thrive on our ignorance and hate the notion that we don't need to visit them for our day-to-day hair care needs. Girl, he's just hating on you because you don't need to run to him for everything. I have friends who are so dependent on hairdressers that they don't know how to wash their own hair, and I'm positive their hairdressers will never tell them how. For me, it was ok to visit a hairdresser for touch ups, but I always hated when they try to rope me in with 'you need to come next week for a conditioning treatment'. And why can't I do a conditioning treatment on my own?! With the knowledge I've gotten from this board I could open my own salon!

In my opinion, if hairdressers were more open and forthright about the products they use on us and their methods, it would only increase their business. But since they're so busy playing hide-the-ball, I'll play hide-the-cash and care for my own hair.

Back