MY HAIR WON'T GROW!!!!

sareca said:
ITA. I have a hard time believing anybody healthy has a terminal length that short.

well she said brastrap... but i dunno i have to agree with you on this one also is her stylest "trimming" her hair...? :confused:

belladionne922 said:
Scalp massages? I keep reading on here that these are really good for increasing circulation, but I still don't get how to do them without rubbing my hair, so I haven't done them.

Um, L-Cysteine? MSM? As you can see by looking at my signature, I take a lot of vitamins/supplements, so I'm just trying to think of what sparked growth for me...the L-Cysteine and the Biotin worked really well when I first learned about taking supplements for growth. The other things, I'm sure they worked too, but by that time, I had added a bunch of other stuff so who knows what did what. ;)

I forgot to ask how much water you're drinking and if you've thought about maybe trying carrot juice? There's a carrot juice thread around here somewhere I'll try and find to bump for you... Oh, and what about eggs? Eggs are good for you...

One way I've found to massage my scalp is to use one of those plastic Nukkles massage thingy, put on a satin scarf, and gently rub the knuckles over my scarf. It feels soooooo good. Here's what I'm talking about but you can get them for 3 bucks at CVS.

http://www.lifesolutionsplus.com/nukkles-p-272.html

sareca said:
ITA. I have a hard time believing anybody healthy has a terminal length that short.

ITA also. I have a hard time beleiving anyone have a terminal length when you can browse this website and see BLACK women with hair down their backs and to their butts.:grin:

I don't really buy the whole 'terminal length' idea. Before I got here I would have bet money that there was a such. But I learned my hair was indeed growing it just wasn't retaining the length. And that what it sounds like to me. Once those strands get old it becomes very hard to retain and you have to give them extra care. Plus the heat and relaxing make them even weaker. Thus they will break right off.

I agree with Tsmith. Go the no heat/baggie/protective styling route. I guarantee your hair will retain.

Hidden_Angel said:
well she said brastrap... but i dunno i have to agree with you on this one also is her stylest "trimming" her hair...? :confused:

BSL really isn't that long in the scheme of things. You have plenty of women here with her hair type that are wsl and even approaching hip bone length. It just all depends on how you preserve your ends.

CAPlush said:
One way I've found to massage my scalp is to use one of those plastic Nukkles massage thingy, put on a satin scarf, and gently rub the knuckles over my scarf. It feels soooooo good. Here's what I'm talking about but you can get them for 3 bucks at CVS.

http://www.lifesolutionsplus.com/nukkles-p-272.html

Girl, thank you! Unfortunately, no CVS here in Seattle - least, not that I know of. Guess I'll go trolling eBay or something...

glamgal198 said:
Sorry it took forever for my response, definitely got my car towed right after writing the post and had to leave ASAP. Anyways, right now my hair is in twist, trying the protective style method. I usually wash it poo once a week, condition, and deep condition and do a twist out. I use castor oil after i pre poo and braid my hair, in the morning it's moist, soft, and shiney. Um... use WGO, take biotin...just started the horsetail tea (crossing my fingers on that one), and for the last month i've had a strict high protein diet. I'm really praying i'm not stuck at this length because of genetics, i'll be so hurt:( ! With the twist i have quite a bit of new growth, but i usually do get that from protective styling. Surprisingly when i take my hair out of the stlye and get the relaxer, regardless my hair is STILL the same length...i don't understand. Thank for all your responses ladies, at least im not the only one experiencing this :ohwell:, thought i was just an odd ball!
Your regimen sounds pretty good. How long have you been practicing healthy hair care from the advice on the boards? Sometimes it just takes time. Oh, and how often do you use heat? Sorry if already mentioned.

My hair is too short to do buns as well - so I had to come up with something else to use as protective styling. Flattwists are my favorite 'protective' style - I keep them in for a week at a time, and use 'spray-in' moisturizers to keep my hair moist. I'm doing this to get into the habit, as I'm cutting off my ends (dyed & damaged), but I know that wearing my hair 'up' has helped my hair health a LOT. Henna is also useful for keeping ends attached to the rest of your hair - the only reason my damaged ends haven't totally broken off as it is now is because of henna.

Honestly - I wouldn't say that you've hit terminal lentgh until you have hit APL, AND worn your hair up for a full year, and STILL have not gained any length. *LOL* I almost wish you were relaxed - if you still had to get touchups at the same rate as you did before your hair hit APL, then it would prove that your hair was growing, and something about your regime is blocking you from retaining that growth.

Well damn you want hair down to your *** or feet? :look: Ok different strokes for different folks. :grin: Maybe you need to try different methods or hair regimes for optimum growth.

firecracker said:
Well damn you want hair down to your *** or feet? :look: Ok different strokes for different folks. :grin: Maybe you need to try different methods or hair regimes for optimum growth.
:lachen: :lachen: Firecracker...Firecracker you are too much!:lol: :lol:

okay i have a big question
how in the world do i protective style?
i do twists, but lately have been doing plaits for 2 days, take them out, then plaits at night, take them out
i dont understand how im supposed to go a week in a bun? my hair would get all matted together!
or does twisting but keeping the twists up for a week count?

EbonyPerez said:
okay i have a big question
how in the world do i protective style?
i do twists, but lately have been doing plaits for 2 days, take them out, then plaits at night, take them out
i dont understand how im supposed to go a week in a bun? my hair would get all matted together!
or does twisting but keeping the twists up for a week count?

I'm not sure that as a natural, a weeklong, uncombed bun of hair might be problematic - but you could put your hair in twists, and then bun them...

I do flat twists like - cornrows, almost - and leave them in for a week......

sorry again for replying soooooo late. I tried using vitamins, like biotin, but my face broke out something awful! I don't drink alot of water...i think someone asked me that...or eggs, does that really work? I tried carrot juice and it thickened my hair, but was a no go on the growth :ohwell: . I agree with someone about maybe the key is retaining length, and im so ready to try the baggy method after seeing how these twist work out. I use no heat, and haven't done so in about 3 months, and i do get trims every...say, 3 months? Thank you all for your reponses. Can anyone describe the baggy method to me?

Here's a link to one way of doing the baggie method.

I do it similarly, but put a tsp. or so of whatever oil I'm using at the moment in the bag, then put my ponytail in it. I don't wear phony ponies so only do this at night.

ETA: Another link to the baggie method and one about products to use with method.

Last edited:
I have a question, I just recently washed my hair after not doing so in about a week I did a deep condition and I am still having a lot of breakage can anyone tell me how to stop it?

I don't want to hijack OP's thread.

glamgal198 said:
sorry again for replying soooooo late. I tried using vitamins, like biotin, but my face broke out something awful! I don't drink alot of water...i think someone asked me that...or eggs, does that really work? I tried carrot juice and it thickened my hair, but was a no go on the growth :ohwell: . I agree with someone about maybe the key is retaining length, and im so ready to try the baggy method after seeing how these twist work out. I use no heat, and haven't done so in about 3 months, and i do get trims every...say, 3 months? Thank you all for your reponses. Can anyone describe the baggy method to me?

Sounds like your regimen is pretty good. How long have you had this regimen? I agree with Pokahontas...just give it some time. Do you take progress pics? I would start tracking your progress so you can monitor what's working for you.

Please keep us updated :) .

glamgal198 said:
Hey everyone. I have always, my entire life, had the same length hair. It's between bra strap and arm pit. I've cut it off before and it ALWAYS grows back to that length and just...stops!!! I don't understand why this is. When i cut it, it grows super fast, but then once it gets to it's usual length, it barely grows. Does this seem to be happening to anyone else?! Does anyone have any solutions? I've been trying alot of things suggested on the board and it seems to be contributing to the thickness, but not the length:(
Can you "see" yourself with longer hair than it is? If not, you may want to start visualizing yourself with your ideal length. Then you'll find your hair starting to match that ideal. Our hair image works the same way as our body image does.:)

I just had to interfere. First of all, genetics play a very small role in hair length, but it does have some effect. Say for instance ur genetic hair follicle life is 2 years. The average person's hair grows 1/2 an inch every month so that means the longest THEY say u can get to is 12 inches. Its BS. If u work hard to get as much hair out of that follicle before it dies then u can get any length u want. There are also things u can include in ur regimen to prolong the life of your follicles. For instance, vitamins or sulfur. Do not let THEM lie to you and the reason the hair seems to grow slower when it gets to a certain length because from my experience longer hair seems to break off easily when not handled with care. Basically it's everywhere! All over the damn place. Then, another thing, you hair follicles donlt all die at the same time, so at any given time your hair should still be growing no matter what. If you see the same amount of newgrowth as before you have nothing to worry about u just need to RETAIN. If u don't see any newgrowth then u have a problem,that's when you should worry. I hope this helps you, but you know what if I listened to the genetics myth, I would have giiven up a long time ago. My hair is full and think and I'm past shoulder length(straightened) in less than 10 months after a BC from 2 inches. Most women in my family do not have long hair and they think mines is long already, but they haven't seen nothing yet until 2010. Don't let myths discourage you. I say genetics don't determine your length only just how easy it is for an individual to retain it.

Back