My hair + tangles= forever?

bellebebe

My hair is just like me... Uncontrollable. It never fails to get tangled onto one another. EVERY TIME I wash my hair, my ends always catch on itself like dread locks. I'm sooo tired of it and I do use detanglers but nothing seems to work. I'm fed up with my hair :-( In fact, tangles are my biggest set back. My hair grows but my goodness, it takes me hours to de-tangle and no one has that kind of patience and I usually lose a good amount of hair during that time.

are u natural ,relaxed, transitioning?people with hair that easily tangles wash their hair in sections of 4 and 5, this may work for you

i am not advising you but when i saw your post i could not help but think how badly my hair use to tangle before i began to transition. is your hair permed or stretched or maybe both?

are u natural ,relaxed, transitioning?people with hair that easily tangles wash their hair in sections of 4 and 5, this may work for you

i agree with this because this is the only way i was able to wash my hair with a perm.

My hair is crazy weird. I'm relaxed though it's not bone straight. I've got that thick cave woman jungle hair. I'll have a relaxer today, and the next day my friends will tell me that I need a relaxer and that upsets me.

thanks for this thread... my hair is the same way! I usually only comb on wash days, and my hair grows super-fast... for me, its the shed hairs that cause my hair to "loc-up" at the ends like that... add to the fact that i have fine strands/thick hair anddd i'm under-processed... its a disaster...

the thing that really helps me is to blow-dry once or twice a month...gently and with patience...to remove all of the shed hairs...

Try Roux porosity control. I also spray just for me conditioning leave in detangler and let it sit for a minute or two and then detangle with a shower comb-detangles like a dream!

Mine was the same way until I used the washing technique that Qetesh
showed us. She posted a youtube on it. I tried it and bingo bango, no more tangles.

Many of our hair problems stem from tangling our hair up bad doing the wash phase.

If your hair tangles more than mine, I'd be surprised. This has always been a huge problem for me. The only way I've gotten it under control is to detangle often. I absolutely have to get the shed hair out or all hell breaks loose. I've stated on this forum before that low manipulation (read: don't comb very often) regimens = rat's nest for me.

I prefer to detangle every other day, with something that creates slip (like conditioner) in my hair. I use a seamless comb and sometimes follow up with a Denman and usually use the pressure of the shower spray as my assistant. I've found that the longest I can push it is every third (or if I'm really wanting to push the absolute limits, every fourth) day.

I've given up on trying to make my hair act or do things it does or doesn't do naturally. My hair tangles. That's the way it is. So I just work with it. But man, do I know how you feel.

I saw a lot of TECHNIQUES but i never tried any and the one tha might really work is get a good DETANGLER wait a minute or two then depart ya hair in small sections or try the ponytails while washin SHO all our hair diff its to much work for me.

I'm soooooo glad you posted this!!!:grin: My hair is exactly the same way and I thought I was the only one to experience this.:yep: I'm relaxed as well, but every time I wash and get a hard protein conditioner or I'm due for a re-touch, my hair becomes a tangled disaster.:wallbash:

I stretched my relaxer for a year, initially I was going to transition, but later changed my mind.:spinning: During this process I'd wash and deep condition frequently. Every 6 weeks I'd use a hard protein treatment. The last wash before my relaxer, my hair became severely tangled and it took my sister 4 days to detangle. :wallbash:
If it wasn't for her I would have cut my hair and started over.:sad: She was very patient, gentle:heart2:and gave kind words of encouragement.:kisses: I have no patience for extreme tangles.:ohwell: Although, it looked very thin afterwards I lost minimal hair. I learned from a lot from this experience. Thanks for the tips ladies, I need it!!!

Last edited:
OMG! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU LADIES. I ACTUALLY WASHED MY HAIR TODAY IN FOUR SECTIONS. IT TOOK MORE TIME BUT IT GOT THE JOB DONE.... I GOT VERY LITTLE TANGLES BUT I WILL DEFF TRY THE COWBOY MAGIC LOL. I CANNOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH!!!

how are you washing? when i have a lot of new growth (and whenever i wash my hair in general)

i gently part my hair under running water vertically, and work shampoo directly to the scalp. i rinse in that same motion, parting vertically the whole time. this effectively cleans my scalp, and keeps the hair from getting tangled.

ok for me i learned a few things about my hair when it comes to tangles... u have to find a really good conditioner that works for your hair.... i found that thats the most important thing i can do for tangles...next as someone mentioned before the way you wash could be the problem. I wash my hair normally i dont do sections but i dont comb my hair until after i put conditioner in and leave it for awhile ..then i comb under water... lastly i would suggest a detangling shampoo. i found that the keracare hydrating detangling shampoo works wonders.. its really strong so dont use much. and if ur hair has some lenght to it try the long tooth detangling combs.. that helps me alot... oh yea sometimes when my hair tangles alot it just needs to be clarified or something... it has helped me many times

I comb my hair, use 10 braids with clips at the end, stand under the shower, wash and condition. I mix my conditoner with roux porosity control and detangle under the shower in sections. My hair is underprocessed too and I would loose so much hair each time before i discovered this method. God bless

Back