My hair or a New Job

Country gal

Would you change your hair style or texture to get a job? A co-worker suggested I change my styling options to be more conservative for this job I am applying for. She says the position works with very conservative clients. She feels I would need to get rid of my flower accesories, bush balls, and mostly wear twists. She feels the my shake and gos and puffs would be considered unruly in this new environment I want to break into. I am like but it's my hair. No one tells a women she should dye her nautrally black hair blond but it's okay to tell a black women to straighten your hair. She also suggested I stay away from braids too.

As long as your hair is neat? I don't see what the problem is. Natural hair can be done professionally. Up or down. But I guess it depends on your definition of professional. So, what ever YOU think is professional go with that.

My bottom line answer is NO.... But it is always useful to explore and understand the climate of your existing and potential new workplace. It is useful to understand the type of industry, clientele, work environment, dress code, etc. so that you are an informed individual. A personal component like hair is not to be compromised. IMHO, if you compromise that, that's just the beginning of other compromises down the road.

I will say to use wisdom. I know when I was going for corporate jobs back in the day (LONG BEFORE this natural journey), I would do the straight look, but not long after, I would wear micros, updos, etc., 'cause I felt like changing it up. And I my work performance was PROVEN, before and after the hair change....

I feel a rant coming on concerning the parallels between hair styles and race/ethnicity and the first day on a new job: It's ALL GRAVY!!!!!

I'm gonna suppress it though 'cause I'm supposed to be writing a paper!

CG, you'll do well regardless!!!!

No, I wouldn't change my hair for someone else just for a job. I belive any natural hair style can be professional if its neat and stylish. Neat and stylish hair doesn't always mean straighten hair. I wish people could get that out of their mind already. You can't help how your hair looks and you can't help what you choose not to do with your hair. Go ahead Country gal and be yourself. That's what counts the most when it comes to interviews and new jobs. ;)

As long as its not wild looking, that could be the only problem i would see. And if it was wild i would consider taming it down a bit, not by straightening it but pulling it back into buns etc. I mean a job is waaaaaay more important than a hair style anyday after work you can go back to funky hair do's

I have interviewed many people in panel style interviews and things I have heard from other interviewers made me realize those being interviewed are critiqued on much more than they could have ever imagined. Since I am fully aware of the negative views many have of natural hairstyles I normally wear a bun to the interview, this way hopefully, my hair is taken out of the equation. Once I am in the door, I feel free to wear my hair anyway I want.

I consider all the styles I have worn to work professional, however, would I get the same response from my white co-worker, probably not, I may not even get the same response from a black co-worker.

Is this a transfer within the same company? If it is then I feel you have already proven yourself in your current position and don't need to change your styling options because it is a more conservative job.

Fran said:
As long as your hair is neat? I don't see what the problem is. Natural hair can be done professionally. Up or down. But I guess it depends on your definition of professional. So, what ever YOU think is professional go with that.

I completely agree. Some of the most admired professional women I have seen are natural. As long as you present yourself in a neat and polished manner. I think the idea that only straightened hair is professional is very old fashioned and honestly, I see more of those opinions being perpetuated in the Black community than w/ other ethnicities. So, once again, whaterver you feel is professional is going to appropriate. If you want to rock you natural hair and your talent, do so. if your career is determined soley on appearance or a few people's asthetic hang-ups, then maybe it's not the right job/ enviornment to be in. Trust in God and the talent he gave you and you will not go wrong. Good luck!

I would look for another job. I only sell MaryKay on-the-side and would never make it my full-time occupation because they require the reps wear skirts or dresses. Sounds like they've left buns or straight hair as your only options. That's not cool. :nono:

I've never had anybody say anything about my hair, but a white manager at work was told to stop dying her hair carrot orange and go with a tradition hair color. :ohwell:

Country gal said:
Would you change your hair style or texture to get a job? A co-worker suggested I change my styling options to be more conservative for this job I am applying for. She says the position works with very conservative clients. She feels I would need to get rid of my flower accesories, bush balls, and mostly wear twists. She feels the my shake and gos and puffs would be considered unruly in this new environment I want to break into. I am like but it's my hair. No one tells a women she should dye her nautrally black hair blond but it's okay to tell a black women to straighten your hair. She also suggested I stay away from braids too.
I wouldn't change my texture..but the other suggestions she gave, IMO, aren't necessarily all that drastic. If the job is conservative, then I wouldn't wear "stuff" in my hair. I don't think wearing flowers, and big hair accessories are very professional in a conservative setting. It really just depends on what you already have and what you are willing to change to get what you don't have. All in all, if you don't want to change anything about your hair for a job, then don't, someone else will get the job.

i agree with what someone else mentioned...i wldnt change the texture but if it could be done i would put it back in a bun...i have changed my hairstyle for a job...i remember one time when i went up to a career fair that was out of state and a month earlier i had just got braids...i loved the braids..but i also wanted to look professional and wanted to see if could get any leads or interviews...so i did it i took my braids out and got a sewin weave....and then went back and put my braids back in after i got back...

Country gal said:

CG, I'm not being ornery here, but what is the connection between wearing twists or not wearing a flower in your hair to being told to straighten your hair?

It sounds like the woman gave you an option for a conservative natural style but you don't want to limit your styling options to just twists. If that's the case, disregard her suggestion then go for the job on your terms.

I would definitely get rid of the accessories. There's a time and place for everything. But I like Cincy's idea. Go in with a neat bun. And once you get that job, you wear your hair out. Again, as long as it's neat and your overall appearance is on point, you'll be fine.

Being that's it's ultra conservative, I might wear the bun a month into the job, and then hit em up with the fro.

Country gal said:

I don't see that your friend is suggesting that you straighten your hair to get this job. If you are seeking a job with a conservative environment you may have to give up the flower accessories. Like another poster said, there are plenty of professional style you can use to style your natural hair. If you don't like them, then maybe that's not the position for you.

dying hair blong is not out of the norm. If you use Green then that would be an issue.

So yes, if I really wanted the job I would change my hair style.

Country gal said:

Honestly? I agree - I don't think that flowers, and what is a bush ball??? are very - work appropriate, unless you are working in a VERY laid back environment, and shakes & gos can definitely be unruly.

My suggestion? Wear twists, get the job, keep wearing twists until you have established yourself as a good, intelligent, focused, PROFESSIONAL worker. Then try a shake and go, and see what sort of reactions you get - if they are positive/neutral - then, sure, rock your shake and go's. If they are negative - stick with the twists - or braids (cuz most non-black folx can't tell the difference between the two ANYHOW).

I don't see anything wrong with changing your hairstyle to initially fit into a new, more conservative office environment. If you hairstyle is more important than the chance of a new job that will force you to work with people who will consider you to be less than professional because of your hair - I wouldn't apply.

*grins* To balance this - I was encouraged to straighten my hair for my job applications, and I told them that if my nappy hair (I always wore twists for the first few months though - then I busted out with the BAA!! :lachen: ) outweighed my skill, personality, talent, and professionalism, then I didn't wanna work for them ANYHOW.

Good luck - whatever you decide!

nappywomyn said:
Honestly? I agree - I don't think that flowers, and what is a bush ball??? are very - work appropriate, unless you are working in a VERY laid back environment, and shakes & gos can definitely be unruly.

My suggestion? Wear twists, get the job, keep wearing twists until you have established yourself as a good, intelligent, focused, PROFESSIONAL worker. Then try a shake and go, and see what sort of reactions you get - if they are positive/neutral - then, sure, rock your shake and go's. If they are negative - stick with the twists - or braids (cuz most non-black folx can't tell the difference between the two ANYHOW).

I don't see anything wrong with changing your hairstyle to initially fit into a new, more conservative office environment. If you hairstyle is more important than the chance of a new job that will force you to work with people who will consider you to be less than professional because of your hair - I wouldn't apply.

Right! I agree with this..... I dont think your friend was implying that you press or relax your hair. You can find natural styles that are conservative and appropriate for the environment. Dont get me wrong, I love pretty accessories myself! But i would hold off on the flowers and pretty, sparkly clips or whatever you like to wear...... bring that stuff out 1 or 2 months into working! :) By then they'll know you and your work, love you, and it will probably be more acceptable to do so.

JCoily said:
CG, I'm not being ornery here, but what is the connection between wearing twists or not wearing a flower in your hair to being told to straighten your hair?

It sounds like the woman gave you an option for a conservative natural style but you don't want to limit your styling options to just twists. If that's the case, disregard her suggestion then go for the job on your terms.

I am wearing my hair the way it comes out of my head. My hair is not naturally straight. I "tame it" by wearig twists or slicking my hair back with a head scarve. When folks suggest that I don't wear my hair in it's natural state by wearing it straight, I think it is just as crazy to tell someone who has a natural hair color to dye it the complete opposite to keep a job.

Apparently in the industry I am interested in, I have to make first impressions everyday. The folks will decide if they want me representing them to potential employers. The struggle is that the industry is very conservative, and she thinks braids are out of the question. I don't mind wearing twists because I usually leave my hair in twists all the time. She is suggesting I pull the twists up in a style and not let them hang down. She also suggested I add a phony pony to my hair. I can wear my hair pulled back very tightly in a bun with my own hair. She feels that it wouldn't look done using my own hair since my hair would not be as full like a phony ponytail.

I can fake it during the interviews but what happens after I get the job. I would have to keep this look up. My concern is if my twists make me look like a kid or young acting than folks may not want to give me their business. She worked in this industry and is giving me her feedback.

There are some professional settings like mine - on TV - where relaxed/straight hair is pretty much ALL that's allowed for sisters.
In entertainment news or national news, I've only seen a few naturals or braided-styled sisters.
I pray I get to the status in my career where I can where my hair naturally.
But for now, sadly, I'm compromising.

Its a very personal decision.

Country gal said:
Apparently in the industry I am interested in, I have to make first impressions everyday. The folks will decide if they want me representing them to potential employers. The struggle is that the industry is very conservative, and she thinks braids are out of the question. I don't mind wearing twists because I usually leave my hair in twists all the time. She is suggesting I pull the twists up in a style and not let them hang down. She also suggested I add a phony pony to my hair. I can wear my hair pulled back very tightly in a bun with my own hair. She feels that it wouldn't look done using my own hair since my hair would not be as full like a phony ponytail.

I can fake it during the interviews but what happens after I get the job. I would have to keep this look up. My concern is if my twists make me look like a kid or young acting than folks may not want to give me their business. She worked in this industry and is giving me her feedback.

I'm assuming this woman does NOT have natural hair? Because - okay, this, I can take offense too - your hair won't look done without adding somebody else's hair to it? :ohwell: I'm reading a lot of 'she thinks' and 'she believes' and 'she says' too - and the assumption that is underlying all of this seems to be that natural hair is not professional - which I violently disagree with.

I would try the twists, go to the interview, and see if you get the job. If you DO get the job - with the twists - then obviously your employers don't have a problem with you representing them with your natural hair. *grins* If you don't get the job, it's a moot point, eh?

I say wear your hair the way they want (twists?) to get the job....then be yourself. I know it sucks but if you want the job that badly....you'll do what you have to to get it, within the boundaries of ethics of course.

rinygirl6 said:
I say wear your hair the way they want (twists?) to get the job....then be yourself. I know it sucks but if you want the job that badly....you'll do what you have to to get it, within the boundaries of ethics of course.

I totally agree with this.

I have it pulled back has tight as I could today. The bun part doesn't look that great. It is a struggle pushing all this hair into a tight bun. My hair is so thick (thanks to the Castor Oil).

ITA with some of the other ladies. I wouldn't change the texture, but maybe pulling it back into a bun and lightening up on the accessories may be helpful. I work in a very image driven industry, and I understand how hard it is to maintian healthy hair and be conservative as well. I did not have half as many issues with hair when I was frying it every 6 weeks with chemicals and baking it every morning with heat. Don't view the suggestion as a personal attack, just as a need to compromise. Likewise, once you "get in the door", you may have the oppportunity to wear your hair as you please.

As a professional natural, I pretty much wear shake and gos 95% of the time. I add click clacks, headbands, or decorated pins to my hair as I desire, because I operate in a business casual environment. Like your hair, my hair is not quite long enough to look really cute in a bun or ponytail without adding extra hair, which I wouldn't do on a daily basis--I don't consider that particularly professional either to be honest. As such, if I were in a more conservative business enviroment, I'd do smaller twists and wear them in an updo (if your hair is long enough), or I'd do shake and gos (or shrunken afros) without the more juvenile hair accessories (meaning I'd still wear them, but not the big, shiny, bright, or sparkly ones). Shake and gos/shrunken afros are not unrurly unless your hair is pretty long/big.

I have mixed feelings about the braid issue, but generally, I don't find many braid styles to be business conservative. I think braids without extension hair are more conservative though.

Country gal said:
THAT'S CRAP, and your friend has no idea what she is talking about.
Natural hair is just as professional as relaxed hair.

I worked in corporate America for 4 years. Those conservative white folks never said anything negative about my hair. They were always full of complements. Over the years, people have told me that my hair was unprofessional. ALL OF THEM WERE OTHER BLACK FOLKS AND NONE OF THEM WERE PROFESSIONALS! Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Don't let one person's opinion sway you. You do not have to make a decision between your hair or a new job. You can have any job that you want and you don't have to relax your hair to get it. I know plenty of natural lawyers, doctors, educators, business owners, etc.

Your friend is wrong.

Poohbear said:
No, I wouldn't change my hair for someone else just for a job. I belive any natural hair style can be professional if its neat and stylish. Neat and stylish hair doesn't always mean straighten hair. I wish people could get that out of their mind already. You can't help how your hair looks and you can't help what you choose not to do with your hair. Go ahead Country gal and be yourself. That's what counts the most when it comes to interviews and new jobs. ;)

"Neat and stylish hair doesn't always mean straighten hair."

THANK YOU!
I agree.

CG I think ur avatar pic minus the flower is professional enough. You don’t need a bun that’s taking it too far, ur not planning to be a nurse or cook are you? You’ve obviously been to the interview as I’m a bit late on the topic, how many people did you see wearing buns???

A shake and go with some headbands will look professional, the general idea is to get the hair out of your face and yes mostly downwards, but this doesn’t just apply to us black women, a lot of straight haired races don’t rock high ponies to work do they? It’s not about oppression really, like high ponies, a loose shake and go looks too fun for a corporate setting. The idea is to present a passive front and sadly BAAs are a bit loud.

A lot of people compromise for work and if you want to make it big you’ll probably have to join them. This isn’t a black thing at all but sadly your friend has just made it seem that way. Forget that phony pony business too, she wants you looking like Khandi Alexander from CSI Miami, that is NOT the only professional look and quite frankly I don’t like it. Loads of short haired women of all races wear short ponies with curly hair, how many of them buy them ridiculous clip ons from Claires? Only black women would indulge something so ridiculous to hide what they really are.

Anyway I’m gonna stop there before I take this somewhere it doesn’t need to go. Wear ur hair looking less fun for work just like you’ll wear your clothes looking less fun for work and everything will work out fine.

Like the others have said, she didn't suggested you relaxed. She suggested different styles options, and cutting down on the hair accessories.

I think she was just trying to be helpful. If you don't agree with her suggestions, follow your intuition and style your hair as you please. Go for the job, and you might just prove her wrong by being successful. Good luck!!!!

Back