my hair is tangled and dry nowadays...

LaughingOctopus

Help! I haven't been able to recapture a really moisturized silky feeling after my wash days because my hair has been so dry and tangly. :( I've been doing my normal regimen of washing followed by a DC but immediately after washing out tangle city. I tried prepooing, clarifying but the same thing happens. Is it because my hair is getting longer?

Are you using the same products although you're keeping to your same regimen? My hair has always tangled so I've never had the luxury of knowing what untangly hair feels like. To help control the tangles, I detangle really well pre-wash and wash in braids.

Clarify, and fit John Frieda's Clear Glaze into your routine. It will change your life.
curlicarib, I heard & read glaze can be drying because it acts as a protein for some. Would you agree? I have low porosity hair and was really interested but was warned about glazes and the impact to low porosity, protein sensitive hair.

Last week was the first time I went to my stylist (of 6 years) had no critique for me regarding the condition of my hair, usually Ihe comments that it is on the dry side, but he said it was well moisturized and he had nothing to say but keep doing what I'm doing.

What is crazy is that I actually have a regimine now where I doso much LESS that I ever did and my hair is in the best shape of its life.

I don't cowash and switched to using gentle cleansers, currently Obia Naturals Shampoo bar (previously using KC Come Clean which some people do claim is drying, but I don't find that it is...it doesn't leave your hair coated with moisturizers like some "moisturizing" shampoos, and cleanses really well, I don't know if that's confused with drying, but I don't find it harsh/drying). I do oil treatment overnight before wash day with an ayurvedic oil blend, that is my "deep" conditioner. I don't deep condition or use a rinse out conditioner after cleansing either, I follow up with Kinky Curly Knot Today to detangle (leaving most of it in) and that's it. I've limited washing to once a week on the weekend when I have the most free time. Styling I use Obia products, the moisture cream and curl enhancing custard, they are made with non drying ingredients and have conditioning properties. I mist daily during the week with the Obia moisture mist (water based spray with oils) and that gives me my daily moisture shot. Every other day or so I may add a dab of coconut oil when I shake and fluff my hair in the morning and go.

I've come to the conclusion that it really is all about the products we use. We can deep condition till we pass out but if there is something in there, or in another product we are using that is drying, or blocking moisture from penetrating the hair we have these dry hair issues. I'm using less product that contain less ingredients, gentle cleansers, spending less time on my hair, and my hair is more moisturized than it was when I was intentionally trying to load it with moisturizers. This all transpired for me over the past 3 months. I thought my hair was healthy before, but there is definitely a difference and improvement in the condition of my hair today that everyone has been noticing.

Take a look at the products you are using and see if there are some changes you can make on that end. Also, remember, your ends are the oldest part of your hair, so they will be naturally more dry and the driest part of your hair. If you haven't had a trim in a while, you may find you have dry ends, knots and lots of tangles. You may want to consider trimming some of that older hair off the ends if this is the case (I know, I know... folks here don't like that suggestion lol), that will help out with the tangling (trust me).. Then keep that focus on maintaining moisture balance with that new trim giving you a semi fresh start.

HTH, I'm sure other's will pop in provide some great insight if you don't find that any of this was helpful.

Good luck!

Prior to summer I've always been a cowash girl but then I've recently incorporated shampoo in my regimen since I'm using heavier moisturizing product

Prior to summer I've always been a cowash girl but then I've recently incorporated shampoo in my regimen since I'm using heavier moisturizing product

I think you should cut back on the shampoo. That could be what's causing the tangles. Especially if you didn't have this problem before incorporating the extra washes into your regimen.

It's probably the shampoo then. Try not using it as regularly and that might help. Also if you don't wash in sections, it could be about time to start LOL. My hair usually isn't dry and tanglily, but every few months my porosity seems to just change randomly :nono:. Two things that I think help me out during those trying times are incorporating Aphogee 2 min regularly and hiding my hair. These dry tanglily moments are when I've given myself major haircuts. I eventually learned that after a couple of weeks, my hair will return to normal and those cuts were totally unnecessary :ohwell:.

@LaughingOctopus, bingo...problem identified. When I shampoo (clarify or basic shampoo), the cuticles get extremely raised and things get tangly. In addition to what I provided above here are helpful tips:

1) dilute shampoo (1oz product to 8oz water)
2) wash in braids
3) apply shampoo to scalp only and allow runoff to cleanse hair
4) no agitating the scalp; gently massage
5) spritz with ACV to calm/close cuticles (HairVeda's PHinishing rinse)
5) cowash with a smoothing conditioner to smooth & soften hair (Sally's GVP conditioning balm)
6) deep condition

ETA: if you check out my blog, there's a photo I posted of how my hair tangles. It's in the blog post, the reason I don't relaxer stretch.

I find that shampoo pretty striping. I think it is good for clarifying periodically.

I think you should dilute it or use something less stripping.

I had the same issue a little over a month ago and I realized it was the shampoo as well. I can only shampoo once a month tops. I also recommend Lush Henna. I try to do it once every 3 months and my hair comes out softer, stronger and more manageable.

curlicarib, I heard & read glaze can be drying because it acts as a protein for some. Would you agree? I have low porosity hair and was really interested but was warned about glazes and the impact to low porosity, protein sensitive hair.

divachyk, I'm very protein sensitive and I've never had a problem. Just the opposite, as a matter of fact. I find that the glaze helps me retain moisture. For instance, the past few months I've been having major dryness and breakage and couldn't figure out why. Last wash day, I saw my JFCG in my basket and realize that I haven't used it all summer long. So I clarified, did a veggie protein rinse, glazed, then leave-in. My hair has been like butter all week long. I'll never forego my glaze again.

divachyk, I'm very protein sensitive and I've never had a problem. Just the opposite, as a matter of fact. I find that the glaze helps me retain moisture. For instance, the past few months I've been having major dryness and breakage and couldn't figure out why. Last wash day, I saw my JFCG in my basket and realize that I haven't used it all summer long. So I clarified, did a veggie protein rinse, glazed, then leave-in. My hair has been like butter all week long. I'll never forego my glaze again.

That's awesome to know curlicarib. Would you also consider yourself low porosity? I'm both - lo po & protein sensitive.

That's awesome to know curlicarib. Would you also consider yourself low porosity? I'm both - lo po & protein sensitive.

Sorry, divachyk, I could never make heads nor tails of the porosity issue. So..............I don't really know what my porosity is. I do know that the JFG works for me and it's pH is about 4.0 - 4.5, so it closes the cuticles. When I'm on my game, I use it with every wash and I've never had a problem. So your guess is as good as mine.

Back