MY HAIR IS SO DRY

BeatriceFly

I really don't know what to do guys. I was using Praital silk worm rinse for my co-washes but I think I'm using it to frequently. Its not a long term moisturizer. I really need advice. I have been bunning my hair, washing it with Cream of Nature shampoo every week, and cowashes twice a week. I only comb my hair when detangling with conditioner. My hair is constantly coming out and is very dry. I really don't know what to do. It scares me how much comes out even when I just rub my hair. Anyone have advice on really good moisturizers or strengtheners (maybe protein)??? PLEASE HELP!

EbonyPerez said:
I really don't know what to do guys. I was using Praital silk worm rinse for my co-washes but I think I'm using it to frequently. Its not a long term moisturizer. I really need advice. I have been bunning my hair, washing it with Cream of Nature shampoo every week, and cowashes twice a week. I only comb my hair when detangling with conditioner. My hair is constantly coming out and is very dry. I really don't know what to do. It scares me how much comes out even when I just rub my hair. Anyone have advice on really good moisturizers or strengtheners (maybe protein)??? PLEASE HELP!

Sounds like you need moisture or maybe to clarify. I have heard others say that CON leave a film, this can lead to dryness because moisture cannot penetrate. Some things that I recommend are:

Clarifying, followed by a deep conditioner (with plastic cap and heat) for about 30-40 minutes.

Doing the baggie method, over your whole head if you need to. What I do (the day after washing or else it would never dry) Apply a conditioner such as Humecto or Humectress, seal it with an oil (in my case grease but I know all don't agree with that) then apply a roller to my ends and seal with a baggie and a scrunchie.
But for you I recommend doing the whole head. Add a little bit of water to get the hair slightly damp, then apply conditioner lightly (not a lot), then seal with oil. Apply your plastic bag and sleep in it (secure with a scarf for best results). I think you will notice results immediatly.

My ends have retained so much moisture now that I have been doing this.

What do you use to moisturize your hair with?? (edited) Okay I see what type of conditioner you are using. Can you post the ingredients to that? Most things that say "silk" in the name have proteins and in your case I think you should refrain form them.

If your hair is shedding, I would do a protein treatment first - well not first, but after you do the ACV to remove the buildup. (I use Aphogee) which should immediately stop the shedding. I agree with the OP that Creme of nature may cause buildup, which will cause your hair not to retain moisture. Then you want to be able to add the moisture back in it. I can't explain the baggie method (on the ponytail) like the OP b/c I usually do a pre-deep conditioning treatment where I just put my deep conditioning stuff (cheapie conditioner and olive oil) on my entire head and just sleep in the bag overnight.

I moisturize daily with NTM Silk Touch and instead of just moisturizing the ends, i find that with the heat, the whole length of my hair needs to be moisturized, just paying extra special care to the ends...

ETA: I just read what she said...I'm sorry, I'm repeating what she said except I would just add in the part about the Aphogee treatment....sorry for repeating her....

In your siggy you state that you have been pressing for 5 years. How often do you press your hair? Maybe the heat is the culprit.

EbonyPerez said:
It's the CON girl. It's a sad sad story, but CON is very deceptive w/ its initially heavenly moisture that just dries your hair out in the in the end.

Use a clarifying shampoo to recover from the film. Then, add some moisturizing leave-ins. Just recently, I added some African Royal braid spray because I know that it keeps my newgrowth very moisturized. This is like a CON substitute. And seal it with a few drops of oil (I use WGO and then a bit of peppermint oil to mask the smell and for stimulation).

eta: Maybe CW more often and delaying pooing could aid as well...I'm going to start that post...

I would have to agree. I think its the products you are using. CON does leave a build up especially if it contains Balsam (also, i think i read somewhere that some of their shampoo products have sodium hydroxide in the shampoo, did anyone clear that up :confused:). Anyway, check also to see what kind of proteins that your conditioner has in it. You may just want to stick to a pure moisture conditioner if you are going to do CW and a protein treatment to balance it out. HTH.

i havent pressed my hair since April 20 something

luvlylibra22 said:
In your siggy you state that you have been pressing for 5 years. How often do you press your hair? Maybe the heat is the culprit.

I actually have no problems with CON, but I did have to change CON poos as I was using the wrong one. I used to poo with the HerbaRich brand, but that stuff made my hair hard. I have no issues with the Ultra Moisturizing for Dry, Brittle hair.

But I must say, it might also be the Silkworm rinse and/or your conditioner. Is your conditioner a protein conditioner or a moisturizing cond? If ur CW w/ a protein, that'll definately dry up your hair.

When I tried CON in the past it would give me similar problems. I agree with all of the other suggestions to ladies have made also.

My hair so dry too. I can do a little something with the roots. I use a moisturizer (Kid's Organic Shea Butter) but this does not work for the ends. They are always dry, no matter what I put on them. I need help. Any suggestions?

I agree with a lot of the recommendations given so far but after clarifying and deep conditioning, if your hair still feels dry try the macherieamor conditioning method. This works for me regardless of the conditioner. You put conditioner on your dry, unwashed hair, wrap it with a damp (warm) towel, put a plastic cap over it and leave for a bit (for me, 30 minutes does the trick). Then shampoo and condition as usual. I tried this for the first time a month ago: the pre-poo conditioner was CON nourishing conditioner then I used BBD shampoo, BBD Stretch and rollerset (I believe macherieamor used a different pre-poo conditioner and Keracare shampoo and conditioner afterwards). I barely lost any hair in the comb-out (which is so unusual for me) and my hair feels so moisturized. I wash once a week and clarify every month so I don't have build up problems. I hope this helps.

i agree on clarifying but you may also wanna try adding a lil honey, glycerin and liquid aloe vera to your shampoo, conditioners, deep conditioners and spritzes and see if this helps. It has helped me tremendously.

i havent been on here a while
but finally here are the Praital silk worm ingredients:

silk protein,coconut oil, vegetable oil, mineral oil, lanolin, cetyl alcohol, preservative, fragrance, citric acid, color, and fresh water

i stopped using it and i used some queen hansons cholesterol on dry hair, then washed it out and it helped

but after a few days of bunning, my hair is very dry, and my hair comes out a lot when I co wash or any wash it

I don't know what to use for a daily moisturizer that doesnt make my hair feel gucky

Also, what type of oil can I add to seal the conditioner?

Last edited:
i really don't think the products are the problem...you may want to stop pressing your hair (at least for a long long long time) and just wear your hair in protective styles for a while.

Poohbear said:
i really don't think the products are the problem...you may want to stop pressing your hair (at least for a long long long time) and just wear your hair in protective styles for a while.
ITA..When I was transitioning and pressing my hair, after each wash my hair was dry and hard! There's something about pressing combs that my hair didn't agree with. I want to press my hair bad, but I don't want to deal with the roughness!

Poohbear, very good point!

I used to have this problem.. I dont really have a problem with CON..
I would suggest that you always do a Moisturizing Conditioner mixed with some EVOO in a plastic cap with some heat.

I use Kemi Oyl on my hair and that helps TONS...

EbonyPerez said:
i havent been on here a while
but finally here are the Praital silk worm ingredients:

silk protein,coconut oil, vegetable oil, mineral oil, lanolin, cetyl alcohol, preservative, fragrance, citric acid, color, and fresh water

i stopped using it and i used some queen hansons cholesterol on dry hair, then washed it out and it helped

but after a few days of bunning, my hair is very dry, and my hair comes out a lot when I co wash or any wash it

I don't know what to use for a daily moisturizer that doesnt make my hair feel gucky

Also, what type of oil can I add to seal the conditioner?

I stopped using CON because it left my hair too soft, and I now use Mane n' Tail Shampoo. I recommend that you use a leave-in conditioner of some sort that leaves your hair moisturized. Also before you go to sleep at night, why not put a little bit of oil on your hair? This will help the hair to stay moisturized during the night.

I agree with everyone that suggested a clarifying shampoo.

All of the ladies have given excellent suggestions. I plan to mix my favorite conditioner in a spray bottle with distilled water and lightly misting my hair then sealing with a very light coat of carrot oil.

Something else to consider is your diet. If you're body is not getting what it needs from the inside nothing you do on the outside can fully repair it. Have you tried incorporating more healthy oils into your diet or drinking more water? I started taking a tablespoon of olive oil every day (preferably over salad, spaghetti and such, but I've also taken it straight), my skin and hair is softer and more moisturized. Others have posted even greater results with flax seed oil.

itismehmmkay said:
It's the CON girl. It's a sad sad story, but CON is very deceptive w/ its initially heavenly moisture that just dries your hair out in the in the end.

Use a clarifying shampoo to recover from the film. Then, add some moisturizing leave-ins. Just recently, I added some African Royal braid spray because I know that it keeps my newgrowth very moisturized. This is like a CON substitute. And seal it with a few drops of oil (I use WGO and then a bit of peppermint oil to mask the smell and for stimulation).

eta: Maybe CW more often and delaying pooing could aid as well...I'm going to start that post...

Is it because of a particular ingredients or like the others said because it coats the hair? My mom uses CON :(

i havent pressed since april
and my hair seems to be getting drier
when i first stopped pressing i didnt have this problem
so i don't press any more
can anyone recommend a good clarifying shampoo... and maybe a good leave in too
thanks
i have to do something because my hair feels like brillo... all except around the edges
but the ends and middle is HARD
thanks for all the help by the way
i am taking a lot of these things into consideration but it is hard b/c everyone is saying something different

Poohbear said:

Well, I don't have natural hair. ... but I do think your products are a problem. I know my hair hates mineral oil and petroleum...

You went from using the silk worm with mineral oil to using Cholesterol ...doesn't that have both mineral oil and petroleum. These are not quality products. They are jjust product fillers that coat hair and block moisture from hair. I would never use these things.

IMO you don't need to be using these. Can you invest in just a few salon products? I like Nexxus, Paul Mitchell... even the drugstore neutrogena triple moisture liine might be good. Get a good deep conditioner (protein and moisturizing) and a lite conditioner to co-wash. I'm not so picky about poos.

Also, do you have a heat cap for deep conditioning? I'm certain if you deep conditioned under a heat cap with a quality conditioner you would end your problems.

What's your entire regimen and product list?

EbonyPerez said:
thanks
i have to do something because my hair feels like brillo... all except around the edges

i am taking a lot of these things into consideration but it is hard b/c everyone is saying something different

The bold part sounds like heat damage :ohwell:

I like V05's Kiwi & Lime shampoo for clarifying. HTH

Try Nexxus aloe rid or Elucence clarifying shampoo. I've tried both and they were excellent.

EbonyPerez said:
thanks

SleekandBouncy said:
Try Nexxus aloe rid or Elucence clarifying shampoo. I've tried both and they were excellent.

Ditto on these 2. I love them both and tend to lean more toward Elucence.

I've just used the Elucence Clarifying shampoo for the first time last week and it was the best clarifying experience yet for my hair. ACV was good, but this was sooooooooooo much better.

So are you chucking the CON? If you need a replacement try Breakthru's shampoo. Its in an orange bottle and gives all the moisture CON does minus the slimey coated feeling and build up, I use this for CO washes since this gives more slip and moisture than some conditioners. It can be a little pricey at $7+ around here, but a little goes a long way.

SleekandBouncy said:
Something else to consider is your diet. If you're body is not getting what it needs from the inside nothing you do on the outside can fully repair it. Have you tried incorporating more healthy oils into your diet or drinking more water? I started taking a tablespoon of olive oil every day (preferably over salad, spaghetti and such, but I've also taken it straight), my skin and hair is softer and more moisturized. Others have posted even greater results with flax seed oil.
ITA!! Don't forget to treat your hair from the inside. Olive Oil, Flax Seed or Fish Oil will help tremendously. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Back