My Hair is Really Turning Red From Henna (I'm not sure if I like it?) Pic inside!

MsDee14 - how long do you leave the Indigo on after you Henna?

I'm asking because I tried Henna for the first time and it turned my grays an orangish red. I used Indigo right after, but I don't think it "took". Maybe I didn't leave it on long enough...about 1 hour and 20 minutes with a plastic cap.

@MsDee14 - how long do you leave the Indigo on after you Henna?

I'm asking because I tried Henna for the first time and it turned my grays an orangish red. I used Indigo right after, but I don't think it "took". Maybe I didn't leave it on long enough...about 1 hour and 20 minutes with a plastic cap.

@lana For starters, I typically use Karishma henna.

I used to keep it on overnight, but now only keep it on for 1-2 hours(I only henna to indigo now).
I never let the mix sit overnight and it still turned my hair orange/red.
Yeah, I would suggest keeping the Indigo on for 2 hours. When I kept it on for only a hour, after a week, the orange/red was back.

Henna adds red/burgundy tones to hair. Did you not expect it?
If you want brown or black tones, you have to incorporate indigo.

@0live0il

Ty :blush:

Since you've been doing henna, have you stopped doing protein treatments? I have a rotation of weekly protein treatments that I love but I don't know how to incorporate henna into my regimen without protein overload.

@laylaaa Yh that's the only protein treatment I do :lol: I go by the sayin don't fix it if it isn't broke. If what you're doing now is working for you, then there's no need to incorporate henna into your regimen. Personally, I believe henna is a better protein treatment for me compared to anything else out there.

The reverse has happened to me :lachen: With time it has began to show a lot more. I had no idea henna could turn your hair a rich brown. Maybe my hair needs more time? :lol: Do you have a pic? TIA[/QUOTE]
0live0il LOL I wouldn't mind your color! How long have you used henna? I weekly henna'd to get the compounding effects quicker. I have zero patience.:look: After the first three months it got darker. Sorry, no pics. They never come out showing the color deposit. Again, no patience. Either give more time to oxidize or try katam before indigo. Indigo is permanent and cannot be removed from the strands to lighten. Also dark oils and other ayurvedic powders can do the trick!

Last edited:
Henna adds red/burgundy tones to hair. Did you not expect it?
If you want brown or black tones, you have to incorporate indigo.

Actually, it depends on the henna. The nupur 9 henna makes more of a brown instead of red. Also it depends on the base hair color.

@0live0il LOL I wouldn't mind your color! How long have you used henna? I weekly henna'd to get the compounding effects quicker. I have zero patience.:look: After the first three months it got darker. Sorry, no pics. They never come out showing the color deposit. Again, no patience. Either give more time to oxidize or try katam before indigo. Indigo is permanent and cannot be removed from the strands to lighten. Also dark oils and other ayurvedic powders can do the trick!

Wenbev - About a year. I got this color gradually.

Ooh, what's qasil? I've never heard of it before and I WANT IT! (I might be a product junkie...)

Do you mix it with henna? I want to do another henna treatment so bad but I'm 2 weeks overdue for my Aphogee 2 step. Sometimes I wish I had two heads so I could apply more things lol.

laylaaa :lol: It's a powder, like henna, that's used to clean the face. I used it as a shampoo once and it made my hair feel great. Not many people try it out on their hair because it's meant for the face but I'm glad I did. I can let you know the results once I use it again this weekend. I'm sure you could find it at an East African shop but I'm not entirely sure. A family member sometimes brings it for us whenever they come into come into town.

:lachen:.. I still haven't got the name. But when I find out, I will return to this thread and update ya'll :yep:

0live0il I've never seen those henna bags labeled before. Is it possible to even find out? :lol:

Last edited:
That's a beautiful color. I'm looking for some good Henna that will give me a nice red and nourish my hair.

@laylaaa :lol: It's a powder, like henna, that's used to clean the face. I used it as a shampoo once and it made my hair feel great. Not many people try it out on their hair because it's meant for the face but I'm glad I did. I can let you know the results once I use it again this weekend. I'm sure you could find it at an East African shop but I'm not entirely sure. A family member sometimes brings it for us whenever they come into come into town.

hannan - What does that do for the face? Is it a skin-toner?

I knew it! :grin:

It comes in an unlabelled plastic bag with green powder, right? My mum buys it whenever she goes to buy sweets and my granddad uses it for his orange beard. :lachen: Some people call it 'Shukri' but anyone who loves the colour can go to a Somali/Djibouti store and ask for henna (or cilaan - pronounced eelaan). It's very cheap and so soooooo red! I'm using Jamila henna for the conditioning and normal cilaan for the colour. Love the results so far.

Seeing as you don't like the colour too much, have you tried using indigo or just switching full stop to cassia treatments?

So does Shukri/Cilaan not have conditioning properties?

love that color. I liked the gradual color effects of henna and if it weren't for my expanding head of gray, I'd keep doing it. I just didn't get enough coverage and the gray looked pinkish after a while. Here's an example of the color I was able to get over time. I kinda miss it.

So does Shukri/Cilaan not have conditioning properties?

Cilaan is just the Somali word for henna. :) For me personally, Somali henna tends to dry my hair out and I'm someone who can do protein treatments back to back without any fuss. However, my sister raves about how thick it's made her hair so it has intense colour (definitely) + conditioning in the form of thickness (possible). Hence why I'm alternating with Jamila or Red Raj for the best of both worlds!

Has anyone tried a black demi-perm dye over henna before (and continue to henna)? I know there's indigo, but the thought of sitting another 3-4 hours with mud on my hair is enough to drive me batty. The last time I did a henna-->indigo process the indigo didn't take.

laylaaa :lol: It's a powder, like henna, that's used to clean the face. I used it as a shampoo once and it made my hair feel great. Not many people try it out on their hair because it's meant for the face but I'm glad I did. I can let you know the results once I use it again this weekend. I'm sure you could find it at an East African shop but I'm not entirely sure. A family member sometimes brings it for us whenever they come into come into town.

I'll definitely try it on my face but if my head swells to the size of a beachball, it's on you! And me. :lol:

I'm giving up on 'natural' hair cleansers because my scalp just cannot take it on top of co-washing. I've tried ACV rinses, rosemary, sugar scrubs with tea tree essential oil and all sorts of other natural rememdies (except baking soda and jaad... :lachen:) I got a sample of Jessicurl Cleansing Cream with an order I placed a while ago and my scalp feels blissssssssssed out after using it so I think I'm a low-poo type! No-poo just killed me, man.

I'll definitely try it on my face but if my head swells to the size of a beachball, it's on you! And me. :lol:

I'm giving up on 'natural' hair cleansers because my scalp just cannot take it on top of co-washing. I've tried ACV rinses, rosemary, sugar scrubs with tea tree essential oil and all sorts of other natural rememdies (except baking soda and jaad... :lachen:) I got a sample of Jessicurl Cleansing Cream with an order I placed a while ago and my scalp feels blissssssssssed out after using it so I think I'm a low-poo type! No-poo just killed me, man.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: @ the bolded!

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the right type of cleanser for me. I seemed to have figured everything but that out.

I feel like it has been forever since I've posted in this section :lol: Anyway, can ya'll give me your honest feedback. I've always been a big fan of jet black hair. I feel that compliments me better. But my hair thrives from henna -- it's the best protein treatment for me! A lot of people have noticed the change in my hair color :look: I'm 50/50. I don't hate it but I don't like it either.

Honest opinions plz.

Where is the picture?

My last Henna/Indigo treatment left me with full Henna/no Indigo. What am I doing wrong?

I'm simply trying to dye my gray strands (bangs and sideburns) BLACK. Why is this so hard?

The only time it ever worked for me was after a fresh texlax (but now I'm transitioning back to natural). That day I got black hair from Indigo - I was ecstatic!

I'm using hennasooq Henna and Indigo. I usually add warm water to each glass bowl, mix henna and water in one and then mix Indigo and water in the other. Sometimes I add salt to my Indigo mixture because I read that it might help. I let both bowls sit anywhere from 45 minutes - 4 hours. Then I apply Henna first, wrap with saran, plastic bag and sit under the dryer, rinse after 1 hour...then repeat with Indigo.

Should I try leaving the Indigo on overnight?

My Henna "takes" almost immediately, even without heat.

lana said:
My last Henna/Indigo treatment left me with full Henna/no Indigo. What am I doing wrong?

I'm simply trying to dye my gray strands (bangs and sideburns) BLACK. Why is this so hard?

The only time it ever worked for me was after a fresh texlax (but now I'm transitioning back to natural). That day I got black hair from Indigo - I was ecstatic!

I'm using hennasooq Henna and Indigo. I usually add warm water to each glass bowl, mix henna and water in one and then mix Indigo and water in the other. Sometimes I add salt to my Indigo mixture because I read that it might help. I let both bowls sit anywhere from 45 minutes - 4 hours. Then I apply Henna first, wrap with saran, plastic bag and sit under the dryer, rinse after 1 hour...then repeat with Indigo.

Should I try leaving the Indigo on overnight?

My Henna "takes" almost immediately, even without heat.

I don't have the answer to leaving the indigo in overnight. I have been told that regular indigo works better than organic indigo. I am not sure which you have been using.

DarkJoy uses indigo maybe she can answer your question.

Goodluck!

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

From what I understand you do your henna first and then after it is rinsed you prepare your indigo. I don't think it has to cure like henna. It seems like it is applied after 15 minutes of sitting. The two step gives you blacker color than the one step method from what I have been told.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Hana is correct. Do not let the indigo sit. Mix it after you rinse out the henna and put on immediately. Also, you must add that salt. Not table salt with iodine but sea or kosher that doesn't have the iodine.

My gray gets full coverage this way.

Back