My hair feels weird. Advice needed

hair4romheaven

I recently trimmed and my ends were in good shape. I got my hair blow dried to prep for braids. Got my hair braided but decided to take it down a week later. I washed my hair and immediately my hair felt different. My ends didn't clump like usual. they felt goowy and stringy. I already had greek yogurt, olive oil, egg and honey mixed up to try as a protein treatment so I applied that. It felt gross and I was only able to keep it on for about 10 min. I rinsed and applied AOGPB as I was worried about my ends still feeling goowy and stringy. I am now sitting with that under the steamer. I wish I can further describe what my hair feels like. Do I need a harder protein treatment in a few weeks? I've seen heat damage pics and it doesn't appear to be that. My curls just are "popping" at the ends i guess

I know when I remove braids from my hair, my texture feels weird but becomes normal after a couple ays. Try to see how your hair feels after being braid free.

I have no idea what this mean. I just wanted to send some support your way and hope you find out soon what's going on.

I agree. Whenever my hair feels "weird" I clarify with ORS Aloe shampoo. Then DC overnight, and viola! Yummy hair again :yep:

Gooey? Sounds like some kind of build up. Stringy? Sounds like very dry hair. My version of clarifying is to do a hot oil rinse.

Thanks ladies. I will clarify with terresential mud wash in a few weeks. I just spent 2 hours doing 2 strand twist that I want to keep in for at least 2 weeks. I also dusted/cut some areas that were stringy.
I will update this thread when I clarify.

@virtuenow how do you do a hot oil rinse? Shampoo, DC, rinse, apply warm oil, then rinse? What step in regimen is it incorporated if the above is inaccurate.

I use oil rinses as an alternative to clarifying shampoos. The shampoos strip my hair bone dry, leaving me w/strings cant seem to be reconditioned. For oil rinses, I Deep condition on dry hair (w/AO GPB), rinse, then apply castor oil to my hair (small amount), then rinse w/hot water. In fact, I'm about to do it right now! Here's a link http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

Thanks ladies. I will clarify with terresential mud wash in a few weeks. I just spent 2 hours doing 2 strand twist that I want to keep in for at least 2 weeks. I also dusted/cut some areas that were stringy.
I will update this thread when I clarify.

Clarifying w/the mud was sounds like an excellent idea! The trim was probably a good move too, i forgot how split ends seem to cling and bind to each other. But then again, so does porous (raised cuticle) hair.

Thanks.@virtuenow I will read that thread. I will also try oil rinsing. I shampooed w/ giovanni tt. So when you Dc W/ aogpb & oil rinse, your hair & scalp are clean?

@hair4romheaven Yes, I'm sorry. I always clean my scalp with a diluted shampoo. In a color applicator bottle w/long nozzle, I add 2-3 squirts of shampoo and fill the rest w/water. While my hair is covered in conditioner (and pre-poo too- sometimes) I shampoo my scalp only. Then I rinse it all out. Then I oil rinse. I only get in the water once, very simplified routine for me.

Last night I clarified with terressentials mud wash. Twisted for the night. This a.m I went to ulta to get joico protein treatment but the 3rd ingredient was mineral oil. I wanted aveda protein treat. But they dont sell it. I had a gift card so I asked an associated for a hard but some what natural protein treat. She suggested & praised phytonectar. This a.m I mixed phytonectar protein oil w aogpb applied to dry clean hair & steamed for 30 min. omgosh once I washed my hair clumped at ends, felt thicker, stronger. It felt great!!! I love to use a product and get immediate results. I will continue to use. I am now dcing with aowc mixed w/ wgo under a heating cap.
I feel a little better about my hair. I have to get my balance back. I do think that one blow dry job did minimal damage to my hair. I hope its repairable after a few treatments.

I was thinking that the blow dry was the culprit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your hair will bounce back very soon.

Back