My hair dresser confused me about texturizers!!

DangerouslyShy

She told me that my hair would not be curly or wavy after a texturizer because i dont have curly hair...

now from my recollection my hair is a 3c/4a my 3c hair is more of an S type curl and my 4a is more of an coily O but It is s type in some places...

here are some pictures of my natural hair

http://public.fotki.com/DangerouslyShy/curls_and_naps/
http://public.fotki.com/DangerouslyShy/growth_challenge/texture/
Now by looking at my hair would it not be texturized to a curl or wave?!

the texturizer she used was a dudleys mild perm, and she left it on for around 15 mins...my head started to burn so I knew that was too long...

When we were done and she washed and conditioned it my hair was wet...and it was straight i mean i could feel the texture on my roots but it wasnt wavy or curly or anything...

the only time i saw some waves was when she put my hair in a ponytail...

now question is...will it be different when my relaxed ends or gone...and my hair is COMPLETELY texturized...

or like model chick said its because I just got it done...even if i pull a little piece of my hair out and wet it...nothing really happends a little wave but nothing major or anything you would really notice...

I had about 2-3 inches of newgrowth...and it feels like i messed up my progress completely...

Should I go back to that hair stylist and just tell her to leave it in less time...or find a different one?!

/images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

She is the only hair stylist I have been too...all my life!

You should give it a couple of weeks before deciding anything. It tends to curl up a little more after a while.
Your 3c/4A hair will be curly if the relaxer is applied properly.

Hey...give it a couple weeks and see if you get more curl/wave that comes in... BUT, maybe you should tell her to leave it on for less time, because it's always better to UNDERprocess and then go back over it at a later time to get it exactly where you want it, as opposed to OVERprocessing and then you're stuck with it...

15 minutes sounds like a full relaxer not a tecturizer to me. i thought texturizers were only to be lft on the hair for short amounts of time.

imo, you're hair is definitely not 3a, or 3c. It appears that you have 4a type hair and that your hairdresser was correct.

As for sticking with your stylist, here's a question: Were you satisfied with the end result of your hair? Is your hair falling out, breaking off or is the scalp burned?

If you answered no to those questions, then maybe she's worth giving another shot.

No i know im a 4a my hair in the back of my head i never took a picture of it is a most definately a 3c for sure its a totally DIFFERENT texture than the rest of my hair....

thank you for the responses ladies...I just wanted to know the truth about this...

I will give it a couple weeks...!! hopefully i will see something if not I will just wait until i have more newgrowth and tell her 9 minutes TOPS!!! lool

YES MY SCALP IS BURNED it never fails!!!always happens because i scratch!!!

I completely agree with model_chick. When I got my first texturizer my hair was underprocessed and it took a minute to see the curls. BUt when my stylist redid the undone parts and put in some styling aides I could really see the curls POP!

I posted in your other thread last night. I think Dudleys mild is too strong a relaxer to use for texturizing for such a long time. I've used it before. If you have to go back to her then you cannot leave it on for more than 5-8 minutes tops. Also if you overlap with that forget it, you will go right to straight.

[ QUOTE ]
She told me that my hair would not be curly or wavy after a texturizer because i dont have curly hair...

now from my recollection my hair is a 3c/4a my 3c hair is more of an S type curl and my 4a is more of an coily O but It is s type in some places...

here are some pictures of my natural hair

http://public.fotki.com/DangerouslyShy/curls_and_naps/
http://public.fotki.com/DangerouslyShy/growth_challenge/texture/
Now by looking at my hair would it not be texturized to a curl or wave?!

the texturizer she used was a dudleys mild perm, and she left it on for around 15 mins...my head started to burn so I knew that was too long...

When we were done and she washed and conditioned it my hair was wet...and it was straight i mean i could feel the texture on my roots but it wasnt wavy or curly or anything...

the only time i saw some waves was when she put my hair in a ponytail...

now question is...will it be different when my relaxed ends or gone...and my hair is COMPLETELY texturized...

or like model chick said its because I just got it done...even if i pull a little piece of my hair out and wet it...nothing really happends a little wave but nothing major or anything you would really notice...

I had about 2-3 inches of newgrowth...and it feels like i messed up my progress completely...

Should I go back to that hair stylist and just tell her to leave it in less time...or find a different one?!

/images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

She is the only hair stylist I have been too...all my life!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have 3c/4a hair, then you will have curls. Judging from the looks of your pics...you do have curls. She probably left it on too long. I would wait and see like the other ladies suggest.

whats a relaxer or texturizer that would work better just incase...next time i will take that to her and let her do it with that...

oh and how long should i wait about 4 months?

15 minutes seems like a long time. i don't texturize my own hair but when the stylist does it (in sections, b/c my hair is so densely packed) each section is on no more than 5 to 7 minutes, even on the parts that are most tightly curled.

[ QUOTE ]
15 minutes sounds like a full relaxer not a tecturizer to me. i thought texturizers were only to be lft on the hair for short amounts of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not necessarily true, it depends on your predetermined goals, i have to leave Affirm mild lye on for 30 mins to achieve looser curls, everyone's hair has different levels of resistance.

15 min is far too long for a texturizer. See what condition your hair is in about 2 weeks after a few washes - texturizers seem to "wear off" a little bit after a few washes. From now on when texturizing try not to go over 7-8 min.

I don't know of any stylists in NJ but if you're willing to travel to Brooklyn www.curve-salon.com is a popular spot for those seeking texturizers. They're pricey but I haven't heard many complaints about them.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know of any stylists in NJ but if you're willing to travel to Brooklyn www.curve-salon.com is a popular spot for those seeking texturizers. They're pricey but I haven't heard many complaints about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a sista on nc.com that recently had nothing but bad news to report about curve, but i go there and like it a lot. PM me if you want specific info. here you can see a few before/after pics of me on their site... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sunnypress, you hair is soo gorgeous and thick, my first texturizer was a complete disaster, i didn't get hardly any curls/wave defintion, what relaxer did they use on your hair?

I was going to grow my hair out naturally than go to curve...but i was getting so frustrated transitioning and i just got so upset!! and decided to go to my usual hair dresser...

My hair is really resistant...my hair never get straight straight even when i used to get relaxers..because i could never sit long plus my hair is really thick!
I think thats why she left it on too long i usually get a relaxer and she does it for 25-30 mins

den1 i think it's affirm but they bring it over to the station already mixed. so i don't know for sure! sorry--people ask me that so much. i wish i had a better answer. i guess next time maybe i can ask! LOL

I thogught it was something special they used "silkener" that isnt a brand of texturizer?

which is better for texturizing no lye or lye?

Hi dangerously shy,

There is really nothing confusing about a texturiser. If your'e hair isn't curly without one (eg when you wet it)then it wont be curly with one. Its as simple as that.
Even with a relaxer left on for 15 mins your'e hair could still be curly like den1's is. (she is relaxed)
All a texturiser does is loosen the waves/curls that you already have.

Not true...unless your def. of "curly" is diff. than what I'm thinking you're saying. There are people who have "afro" looking hair that can look curly with a texturizer, ie. Ginsana on this board. And there are people with curly(3) hair that can get a relaxer put on for 15min. and totally obliterate their curl.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi dangerously shy,

There is really nothing confusing about a texturiser. If your'e hair isn't curly without one (eg when you wet it)then it wont be curly with one. Its as simple as that.
Even with a relaxer left on for 15 mins your'e hair could still be curly like den1's is. (she is relaxed)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
den1 i think it's affirm but they bring it over to the station already mixed. so i don't know for sure! sorry--people ask me that so much. i wish i had a better answer. i guess next time maybe i can ask! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Nevermind....

[ QUOTE ]
Not true...unless your def. of "curly" is diff. than what I'm thinking you're saying. There are people who have "afro" looking hair that can look curly with a texturizer, ie. Ginsana on this board. And there are people with curly(3) hair that can get a relaxer put on for 15min. and totally obliterate their curl.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi dangerously shy,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ms K thats what i was thinking when i was in middle school with a relaxer i would go swimming and my hair would be wavy and curly...but as i got older in highschool my hair would just be straight when it was wet and air dried....is that from overprocessing, do youi think?

I agree with Ms kenesha when i was natural i didn't have any curls but a big afro, except for the very back area of my head, the texturizer gave my curls i never knew i had.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hi dangerously shy,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I think it's probably from overprocessing. I'd really find a new stylist since this is the only one you've had. Also, is your stylist black? I ask because for her to say your hair is nappy and that's why a texturizer won't work sounds like something a black stylist would say... <font color="red">YEAH I SAID IT</font>...that alone would make me get a new stylist!

*Not all black stylists are bad stylists, I know, but to me WAY TOO MANY of them are!

[ QUOTE ]

Ms K thats what i was thinking when i was in middle school with a relaxer i would go swimming and my hair would be wavy and curly...but as i got older in highschool my hair would just be straight when it was wet and air dried....is that from overprocessing, do youi think?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes she is black...and i found that statement hard to believe...i can distinctively pick out my curls and coils...if i didnt comb it she would have seen them...but its ok im gonna show her...lol wait til i get some more new growth and go to someone that specializes in this....

im going to take me and my CURLY hair over there and show her...these arent curls huh?

Yeah, I agree w/cutebajan. I don't know why so few sylists can do a texturizer. I think most of the texturized ladies on this site do their own, including myself.

Try using a protein treatment. It's been said on this board (I think Supergirl had a post), that protein treatments within 2 weeks of a relaxer makes the hair revert a bit. The post was mainly to tell us NOT to use these treatments too soon if we didn't want reversion. But it sounds like you would desire a little reversion, so try it out.

Back