My friend Ashley and her hair problems HELP!!!

sweetpeadst

My friend has some serious breakage throughout her hair! I think she needs to cut it but she really doesn't want to. She says that her hair takes a longtime to grow!! She has been growing her hair out for about three years and it is layered and about mid-neck in the back!! But it is thin on one side and broke out through out! She uses heat almost every day! She has two styles either down or pinned up in this french roll pinup type thing!! I would love her to try more with her hair and keep the heat out of it! I recently refered her to our beloved site!! I hope she gets the information needed to save her hair! Can someone help please!! She wll be lurking!!

TIA
PS I have a pic of her in my album under misc. she is in the pic with the four girls throwing up the roc!SHe is sitting right next to me so she is the third girl from the left ( I am the first girl on the right)

Last edited:
Sweet, Im sure she'll find all the help on this 'beloved' site. Gwowing out for 3 yrs??? Heat is definately the culprit. No matter how slow or quick her hair grows, heat everyday is a big no no IMO. If her hair is severely damaged by heat then she would have to get a good cut, as painful as it sounds.

london honey said:
Sweet, Im sure she'll find all the help on this 'beloved' site. Gwowing out for 3 yrs??? Heat is definately the culprit. No matter how slow or quick her hair grows, heat everyday is a big no no IMO. If her hair is severely damaged by heat then she would have to get a good cut, as painful as it sounds.

Thanks I think she needs to start over as well! I told her about the heat!

I would definitely do a nice little cut, and protein treatment. Maybe she can start using rollers to get her look instead of using heat to style her hair. She can also do her pin up style just to give her hair rest. Her hair may look as if it is growing slow to her but that could be because she isn't retaining length.

I hope I helped.

I think she should do an aphogee treatment for damaged hair but she MUST use a moisturizing conditioner after using it. If the breakage still continues then she should probably cut it. I know she doesn't want to but sometimes that's the best thing to do. And her tell to stay away from the heat. Maybe she can get a weave or some braids to grow her hair out. HTH

Co wash twice a week with a very light protein and moisturizing conditioner on a regular basis. Her hair should be back to healthy within 3 to 4 weeks (no it will not happen overnight but with this routine and protective styles the results will hold for as long as she keep it up).

Keen said:
Co wash twice a week with a very light protein and moisturizing conditioner on a regular basis. Her hair should be back to healthy within 3 to 4 weeks (no it will not happen overnight but with this routine and protective styles the results will hold for as long as she keep it up).
Any suggestions on a liht protien???

nikki1971 said:
Nexxus Keraphix
Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner
TIGI Dumb Blond Reconstructor Conditioner

I've use Keraphix and love it. she should do a double wash. Keraphix is good for the first wash but I wouldn't use it on the second wash. You can also use the same product on both wash. I like Garnier Fructis Long and strong conditioner, LeKair Cholesteral with Aloe and Neutragena 60 second repair. Those works for me. They are cheap and effective. You go through a lot of products washing your hair twice a week. I had to use a few conditioners before I settled on what is best for my hair.

I'd recommend an Aphoghee treatment to stop the breakage in its track (followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner like ORS Olive Oil Replenishing pack). OH, and use a CW or C-COW-C instead of straight shampoo. If her ends are awful, maybe go with a 1/2" trim first and see if this followed by moisturizing two times a day with a really good product (like Elasta AP Mango Butter or ORS Olive Oil) doesn't nurse it back to health. If after a couple of week it's still shedding, she'll probably need more of a chop. What pointers have you already suggested, sweetpeadst?

Dolapo said:
how good is this dumb blonde reconstructor? im thinking of getting it....

I have been using this product for the past several months. It is really good. I usually use Kenra MC afterwards. My hair comes out soft, strong and bouncy. I also use the Dumb Blonde shampoo which is a great product also. I purchased the shampoo and reconstructor duo at Ulta for 19.99.

beloved1 said:
What pointers have you already suggested, sweetpeadst?

I really think she needs to cut it b/c the way that it is broke off!! It is broke off on one side and it is noticeable to the average Joe! It is also broke off in the middle! I told her that I am not get a perm as often and recommended she does the same!

You are a great friend for being so concerned about her. I think there are times in life when you have to take a backseat and let your actions speak louder than your words. You hair is beautiful/healthy. Your friend has/will notice and when she is ready to dedicate herself to achieving healthier hair, she will follow. Nobody could tell me anything when I was frying, gluing and ripping my hair out of my head. I responded by avoiding conversations about hair with them altogether. Felt like I was constantly under attack and became very defensive. I was thinking, "What are you trying to say? I've been walking around for the past X amount of years looking crazy?? You don't like the three packs of weave covering up my bald spots?? Do you think you're better than me because you have long hair that isn't even all that long yet? You don't understand. My hair is different." LOL! You catch my drift, right? Not all advice is welcomed. Let her come to you with questions, first. That way you are sure as to where she stands as far as receiving you.

Suggesting the site was as far as I have gone for others.

Last edited:
chellee said:
You are a great friend for being so concerned about her. I think there are times in life when you have to take a backseat and let your actions speak louder than your words. You hair is beautiful/healthy. Your friend has/will notice and when she is ready to dedicate herself to achieving healthier hair, she will follow. Nobody could tell me anything when I was frying, gluing and ripping my hair out of my head. I responded by avoiding conversations about hair with them altogether. Felt like I was constantly under attack and became very defensive. I was thinking, "What are you trying to say? I've been walking around for the past X amount of years looking crazy?? You don't like the three packs of weave covering up my bald spots?? Do you think you're better than me because you have long hair that isn't even all that long yet? You don't understand. My hair is different." LOL! You catch my drift, right? Not all advice is welcomed. Let her come to you with questions, first. That way you are sure as to where she stands as far as receiving you.

Suggesting the site was as far as I have gone for others.

Thanks for the comments! I think I will just let the site help her out! Thanks for compliments too! I don't want to seem like am being overbearing!!

Back