my flat ironed puff--help

ebaby

I was up before six this morning to straighten my hair. I used a maxiglide and a chi and a gold n hot on certain parts. I followed the tutorial on here and it is semi straight but is already swelling into a puff. I have not even left for church yet and I already look crazy. I am natural.

Maybe you need more heat when you flat iron. I find that my hair will get straight at lower temperatures but won't stay that way in humid weather. As soon as I start to sweat my roots will puff up and then its only a matter of time before I have a chia pet on my head. When I use more heat it seems to make a difference. I think it has something to do with sealing the cuticle. I'm sure there are others on the forum that know more about this.

I agree with Black Amb. Also did you use enough product. With thick hair you have to use more product in order to get all your hair covered. Did you comb brush the products through to make sure it got all your hair?

.. and remember tiny parts, no larger than 1/4 in. thick by 1 in. wide ... this & slightly higher heat (with plenty of heat protectant & a good ceramic/tourmaline flat iron) work on my thick natural hair.

yes I used a little chi si and sabino. My hair is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzy thick.

i've been researching flat irons and reading a lot of reviews:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=397104&highlight=

someone mentioned that the chi serums and the "high dollar" mousse/whatever it is is not intended for african-american hair. and, to just use some regular grease that you grease your scalp with. apply the grease to your hair before you flat iron, this will help it retain it's moisture.

hth,

ditto tiny part, the smaller the part you take the easy /faster/ straighter the hair will be. and making sure all of the strands are covered with whatever heat protector your using.

Back