My first visit to hair stylist since I've been on LHCF is today and I'm scared.

gone_fishing

I used to see her every Saturday at 10:30 a.m. but today I'll be seeing her at 2:30 p.m. EST. for the first time.

I have a whole list of things I want her to change.

I talked to her about it on the phone a bit but I think I left some things out.

These are the new rules:

1. No thin toothed combs.
2. Leave in conditioner is fine but no wrapping/setting lotion. I think it dries out my hair. I prefer a creamy leave in (please suggest one to pick up before I go).
3. No flat irons.
4. Be a little bit more gentle when combing my hair.
5. No thanks. I don't need a trim today. (I decided I like everything she does to my hair but the trimming so I'll not be going to her for those anymore).

What else would you suggest I need to tell her NOT to do or DO to do?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I feel like I have free hair consultants. :perplexed Well, 5 dollars a year ain't bad. :grin:

Geez...I just hope I can stick to my guns when I walk through the door. I develop mute disorder when I'm in her chair.

if you used to see her, why are you apprehensive about your visit today?

I don't know! It's weird. I've been seeing her for 2 years but now I'm just much more aware of the harm she could be doing since stylists aren't perfect. I know she likes to use that little toothed comb when she does my roller sets and she's kind of set in her ways sometimes. So I guess I'm nervous because I've never "challenged" her on the way she does things before. :look:

I don't know! It's weird. I've been seeing her for 2 years but now I'm just much more aware of the harm she could be doing since stylists aren't perfect. I know she likes to use that little toothed comb when she does my roller sets and she's kind of set in her ways sometimes. So I guess I'm nervous because I've never "challenged" her on the way she does things before. :look:

well i dunno. if she's doing a roller set i dont think a small comb will be THAT damaging considering the other options she could be doing. she'll be rolling small sections...just make sure she detangles from the bottom up. oh and she should detangle w/ a wide tooth comb FIRST.

a good creamy leave-in is NTM triple moisture, ORS olive oil, lacio lacio.

well i dunno. if she's doing a roller set i dont think a small comb will be THAT damaging considering the other options she could be doing. she'll be rolling small sections...just make sure she detangles from the bottom up. oh and she should detangle w/ a wide tooth comb FIRST.

When I do roller sets I use a fine tooth comb for each individual roller to make sure the hair is straight. Being relaxed, if she properly detangles you first, you shouldnt see many "shed" hairs, as at that point the comb is basically to put the hairs in allignment so that it rolls and sets evenly.

I was just going to reccommend this.

i don't think it's about the type of combs. she has wide toothed combs. i just gotta speak up and make her use them instead of the others.

also my hair isn't relaxed in response to enchantment. i just always had it pressed.

Is this the same stylist from b4 when you was talking about on another thread being or coming off too pushy?

I went through the same feeling before my final visit with my ex stylist.Stick to your guns, bring your lacio lacio and serum or whatever. My ex stylist got pissed when I told her that the Keracare setting lotion dried my hair out.I later learned that since she is an "Avlon technician" she is getting paid to use only their products. From my experience, if she flips out on you, don't be afraid to leave. It's your hair, so bring your combs, products, etc., and don't let her put scissors to your head. I am finding with what I have learned on LHCF, that when you treat your hair right, you'd be surprised at how long you can go without a trim.

Well good luck. I dont have any tips for u, because Im in the same boat as you. Im also going to the salon today at 2:30, however this is my first salon visit in like 3 years. :look: I will be getting a touch up/corrective, trim and roller set. Im extremly nervous therefore I have wrote down all of the things that I want her to do and or not do. Here is my list so far.

1. touch-up edges last
2. I will also inform her that i burn easy so try hard to keep the relaxer off my scalp
3. Trim no more than 1/4 inch PERIOD

Ok I just got home. My appt. was from 2:30 to 4:00. I love Ms. Mary cause she always sees me immediately. There's never a wait unless I'm really late.

So I didn't say anything about the thin toothed comb. :ohwell: I just couldn't. I went mute again.

But, I did tell her no trim (even though it's been like 8 weeks now and she swears by 6 weeks and even marks it on her calendar). I also told her no setting lotion.

She did a protein treatment and a deep conditioning and a roller set. It came out great! I love it! She did a great job!

So I think I'm happy but gotta tell her about that comb. My hair feels wonderful much better without the setting lotion and it dries faster too I noticed.

Also, I didn't let her "oil" my scalp. I told her I'd take care of it when I got home. I'm just gonna use my creamy moisturizer on my scalp rather than oil because I don't believe oil really moisturizes. I think it just sits there on my scalp attracting dirt. Yuck.

So point is...I'm happy happy happy about my hair!

I didnt know you were natural. Your hair looks great. How often are you washing/ etc? The most I can go is a week or my scalp starts itching like crazy. If she is taking it section by section, combing from the ends up on already detangled hair, the comb still shouldnt be a problem. If you are losing hair shes not detangling properly. I dont recommend small teeth comb for daily combing or styling, but for things like roller sets I use them so I dont have crinkles and whatnot. I have a barber-ish comb that has med teeth on one side and small on the other, so I comb though with the larger side then the smaller side for each roller.

All this talk is making me want to do a rollerset.

Adequate-- I'm glad your hair turned out well... I also had my first salon visit since joining LHCF today and I was just as nervous as you were!! Now that I'm on my no direct heat kick, I asked her to roller wrap my hair and it turned out pretty well! I'll have to take your advice though, and ask her next time not to use that stupid setting lotion, b/c my hair did feel dry afterwards... as SOON as I got home, I threw some NTM leave in on and felt much better :grin:

Next time, I'm going to be even more vocal about my wishes... baby steps, I think :yep:

I didnt know you were natural. Your hair looks great. How often are you washing/ etc? The most I can go is a week or my scalp starts itching like crazy. If she is taking it section by section, combing from the ends up on already detangled hair, the comb still shouldnt be a problem. If you are losing hair shes not detangling properly. I dont recommend small teeth comb for daily combing or styling, but for things like roller sets I use them so I dont have crinkles and whatnot. I have a barber-ish comb that has med teeth on one side and small on the other, so I comb though with the larger side then the smaller side for each roller.

All this talk is making me want to do a rollerset.

I wash my hair twice a week (normally saturday or sunday and every wednesday). I do deep co's on those day 20 minutes under dryer with cap. Washing will be almost every other day once school starts (co washing mostly and poo once a week) because once my son gets back in school (starts at 7:15 a.m.) I'll have my 1.5 hours in the morning back to go to the gym. Right now with summer camp not starting till 8, I have no time to work out in the morning so I'm not working out as much.

I noticed A LOT less hair in the little comb today and maybe that has something to do with the overall way I am taking better care of my hair....so....maybe it's not her and her evil teeny toothed comb. Maybe it was just me and the fact that my hair was often bone dry by the time that I went to her each saturday that was causing all the hair in the comb.

Who would of thunk it?

Back