MY FIRST PIC

SILKE74

I JUST WASHED AND DEEP CONDITIONED MY HAIR. I TOOK A PICTURE AND TO BE HONEST I CRIED WHILE POSTING THIS PIC I DIDNT REALIZE HOW DAMAGED MY HAIR REALLY IS UNTIL I LOOKED FOR MYSELF. CAN SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO HELP MY HAIR!

Post your regimen, so you can give everyone an idea of what to include or eliminate.How often do you relax? How often do you deep condition? What type of moisturizers and how often do you use them?hth

Last edited:
I can't really tell you what to do, but be consistent in whatever you find works for you. I was a little shorter than your hair Aug. 05 (because I cut all the dyed ends off into a layered cut about nape length) now I'm APL and on my way to BSL, God willing. So just be patient and you'll see progress soon.
If you can post your regimen that can help some of us ladies give input. Your actually doesn't look bad at all, it may not be the length you want to be now, but I see sheen, thickness and health, maybe a trim if you wanted it to be super even.

Last edited:
-I WASH EVERY 7 DAYS USING KERACARE HYDRATING DETANGLING SHAMPOO AND HUMECTO CREME CONDITIONER OR DOO GRO MOISTURIZING GROWTH SHAMPOO AND MEGA THICK ANTI-THINNING CONDITIONER
-I USE BB GROWTH SERUM
-I USE EVOO AND CARROT OIL
-BIOTIN
-HHB

SILKE74 said:
I JUST WASHED AND DEEP CONDITIONED MY HAIR. I TOOK A PICTURE AND TO BE HONEST I CRIED WHILE POSTING THIS PIC I DIDNT REALIZE HOW DAMAGED MY HAIR REALLY IS UNTIL I LOOKED FOR MYSELF. CAN SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO HELP MY HAIR!
I have been there before and it will get better it just takes time, patience and for me it took alot of trial and error but this forum was my saving grace. A couple of things that immediatly helped me was limiting direct heat, cutting away my split ends, and deep conditoning every week. I was wondering how you were wearing your hair on a daily basis?

gradygirl said:
I have been there before and it will get better it just takes time, patience and for me it took alot of trial and error but this forum was my saving grace. A couple of things that immediatly helped me was limiting direct heat, cutting away my split ends, and deep conditoning every week. I was wondering how you were wearing your hair on a daily basis?

I AM IN THE MILITARY SO THERE I WEAR A HAT ALL DAY. SO THEREFORE MY HAIR IS PULLED BACK IN A BUN OR SOMETHING OF THE SORT.

gradygirl said:
I have been there before and it will get better it just takes time, patience and for me it took alot of trial and error but this forum was my saving grace. A couple of things that immediately helped me was limiting direct heat, cutting away my split ends, and deep conditioning every week. I was wondering how you were wearing your hair on a daily basis?

I agree 100% with the bold text. Since you wear a hat everyday, I would use that as a good chance to add extra moisture and even try the baggie method. Happy Growing! You will find a lot of help here.

Okay, first, stop typing in all caps, you're yelling at us.

Second, you mentioned that you wear a hat and that your hair is in a bun. Looking at your pic, is it possible that the part of your hair where most of the breakage is happening is the part where the hat rests against your hair? If so then baggie-ing those ends and putting a phony bun or pony over it will significantly help you. HTH!

Last edited:
I agree with the baggie suggestions. Try doing that while your home or at night with a good oil, then your ends will have some more protection while in a bun for work.

Have you tried incorporating a reconstructor into your routine? You strands may need some strengthening while you're growing out. I find that helps as well.

I don't have alot more to add, but I just want ot encourage you: It can be done! My hair was shorter than yours and very damaged. Now it's brastrap length. The pic below is from a year ago. My hair is longer now.

Rev_Hair_0805.jpg

What worked for me was:

Limiting heat
Oiling my ends everyday
Protective styles/Minimizing manipulation
Vitamins

Good luck and happy hair growing!

SILKE74 said:
Thank you all so much for you advice and suggestions hopefully something will work

You will get there. Just keeping take care of your hair and keep updating that fotki. We are here for support. :)

girl you and i are in the same boat!! im also in the military. my hair is not as healthy as it use to be-last night i washed and deep conditioned my hair and like you i wanted to cry. i posted a thread also, now im just waiting for some advice. HHG-let me know if you get any good info and ill do the same.

I 3rd or 4th bagging those ends, also try incorpotating a strengthening treatment into your regimen, but make sure to always follow w/a moisturizing Deep Conditioner. Also you may need to add a daily moisturizer to your regimen since you wear a hat on a regular basis it can be stealing some of your moisture. BTW are you relaxed, natural or transitioning? that may help w/some input also.

SILKE74 said:

What I did when I first started out was purchased this book by Carolyn Gray " The Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Healthier Hair in 6 Weeks". You can purchase this book from amazon.com it will help you in building your regimen. She list step by step instructions on what to do to your hair week by week and when you get to week 6 you just start back at week 1. This reason why I say this is a good book is because when I joined this I did not know where to start. I went out and purchased all the products the ladies on here said were good BUT I did not know when to use them and how to use them. I also did not want to spend money on different products and find out that they did not work. This book basically cuts out all the unnessary spending of money because the products Carolyn recommends in her book are the products the ladies on here use.
HTH
Tanya

LAYDEE said:
mariaat40-what type of oil do you use for your ends and what vitamins are you taking?

I use jojoba on my ends, but I've used olive oil in a pinch. That works well for bunning it but not for wearing my hair out. I take a multivitamin, silica, and pantothenic acid (B-5) to thicken up my fine hair.

Mariaat40 said:
I use jojoba on my ends, but I've used olive oil in a pinch. That works well for bunning it but not for wearing my hair out. I take a multivitamin, silica, and pantothenic acid (B-5) to thicken up my fine hair.

thanks. one last question. i have type 4a/b hair-it is so fine-have you noticed the b-5 doing a really good job with thickening your hair? how long did it take to see results-and how long have you been using it?--my bad that's actually 3 questions:grin:

the others' have given you good advice.

i would start with a dusting and since you wear a hat everyday, i would conditioner wash everyday and pull it back into a bun.

don't worry, you're here now! a member of lhcf!
it's only going to get better :yep:

Awww, it's OK dear!:kiss: I feel your pain. I took my braid out last Friday and I was like :eek: :cry: !!!! I took a photo as well, but I didn't even have the guts to show it. You are in the right place! These ladies know what they are talking about. There are countless ladies on this board that have gone from damaged, dry hair to GORGEOUS locks in a relatively short period of time. What I have noticed from a lot of these women is that a good healthy cut may not be so bad. Yes, I would avoid scissors like the plague, but I will be doing a HECKIFIED trim (2 inches) when I do my next relaxer.

Let patience have her perfect work and be diligent. It will pay off. As of now, I am doing the co washes 2-3x a week, deep conditioning and I can't live without my baggie and phony pony. Some of these methods may seem a little unorthodox at first, but they will pay off. I'll be praying for ya!

I co-sign on what everyone here has said, especially the baggying. I just tried it last night, and it's amazing! I seal my leave-in with serum instead of oil, but try experimenting. Good luck!

I would like to thank you all again for all the great advice and of course for the encouragement and support. I do think I will start off with a much needed trim and then I'll really get this thing going. Can someone give me a website for some great phony buns and ponies and once again thanks. You all have made me feel a whole lot better.

I have to give my 2 cents, I also say braids or corn rows and put it up in a bun. You can wash and spay leave in eveyday with no problems, but the only thing is having a great braider...

Last edited:
neonbright said:
I have to give my 2 cents, I also say braids or corn rows and put it up in a bun. You can was and spay leave in eveyday with no problems, but the only thing is having a great braider...

I was thinking about getting micros next month because I just recently took out some two strand twist.

I think everyone has a pic from the start of their hair journey that they're less than pleased with.

Apart from the ends, I think your hair looks quite healthy. I'd recommend a trim if having 'fresh ends' will make you feel better about your hair (it worked for me).
As long as you keep looking after your hair and be patient, I think you'll see results :)

I love this forum!!!

I was in the military and had the same exact problem that you new have. After getting a great response from everyone with recommendations, I finally found what worked for my then relaxed 4a/b type hair. I started doing conditioner washes every other day and spraying Infusium 23 and oiling my hair with Wild Growth Hair Oil and Jojoba Oil. Oil is good for hat wearer (in my opinion) because it helps combat drying. Keeping it simple with the hair products is important. The less, the easier. I would air dry my hair in a bun and leave it alone until I conditioner washed it again. For this time, I would not use any heat. You should notice a difference in your hair in 2 weeks if you stop using heat.
For my weekly deep conditioner treatment, I would use the following deep conditioner:
1/2 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Honey
1/2 mashed banana
1/2 mashed avocado
Put all ingredients in a blender, blend well, saturate hair and leave on for 1-2 hours. Rinse well with cool water.

I would also recommend that you limit how much you comb and brush. Keeping the hair hydrated and lubricated has worked well for me. I hope that you find a what works for you. You came to the right place!!!

LAYDEE said:
thanks. one last question. i have type 4a/b hair-it is so fine-have you noticed the b-5 doing a really good job with thickening your hair? how long did it take to see results-and how long have you been using it?--my bad that's actually 3 questions:grin:

The B-5 works well enough that my stylist (who does my touch ups and trims and whom I did NOT tell that I was taking B-5) commented on how thick my hair had gotten. She has to leave the relaxer on for a longer period of time to get my hair as straight.

SILKE74 said:
I was thinking about getting micros next month because I just recently took out some two strand twist.

I do not like the micros at all, they are to harsh to me, plus I have thin hair... Corn rows, fatter singles.

SILKE74 said:
I AM IN THE MILITARY SO THERE I WEAR A HAT ALL DAY. SO THEREFORE MY HAIR IS PULLED BACK IN A BUN OR SOMETHING OF THE SORT.

I was gonna say try rollersetting under the hooded dryer, it did wonders for me, but seen as you are in the military you may not have much time...

Back