My First Natural Hairstyle/Twist Out Attempt (Pics)

ResultsMayVary

(Pardon blurry pics, camera phone)
I have been natural for about 7 months, but I've worn wigs every since my BC. So I really have no clue how to style my hair :perplexed. I attempted a (2 strand) twist-out this past weekend. I used VO5 and Castor Oil, and I let it dry overnight ...
Personally, I don't like it .. but maybe with a few more attempts I'll get better. (fingers crossed)
I also tried to make a little fro hawk ... :ohwell:
Alright ..
back to the wigs, now I'll go .... lol

Twistout1.jpg

frohawk1.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's cute!! If you dont like it though, try back in a puff. A puff can fix a lot! Keep trying and practicing or you'll be in your wigs forever! :)

I think the results are cute !!!! The fro hawk is beautiful and this is your 1st attempt? Very nice for a first attempt... you know you will only get better at this.

I like the results, if you put a headband on your hair in the 1st set of pictures, it'd have made it look even nicer (although it's cute enough and your hair's pretty).

Your hair is too pretty to be hiding it under a wig. It can be frustating but its trial and error just keep practicing and you'll get it in no time. I love the way it looks right now.

I think it's cute and this style has alot of potential so don't give up just tweak your prep a little.

Next time try making your twists just a bit smaller and then twist the hair in the direction you want it to lay when you take them out.

Twist in the same direction (for me anyway) towards your face vs. towards the back of your head (hope this makes sense?).

Avoid *too much* manipulation when you undo them and while styling them. I say *too much* because you'll have to manipulate them a bit just to style but you just don't want to do it to the point where you frizz out.

Mohawk it, puff it, headband it if you aren't feelin' it 100% but eventually you'll get to the point where you'll be rockin' it with confidence!

:yep:

I think your hair is very pretty...stop hiding it under wigs :) Try to use headbands and cute clips ....it will look fab!

Thanks ladies, I guess I really just need to get used to it (I've become wig dependent:look:). Thanks for all the tips and suggestions,

I'll try it again soon!

For some of us we usually have to let the twists stay in for more than a day, more like two to three days at least for the twists to set properly.

What you have there looks fine. Being under a wig can also be a negative, in that it will rob you of the ability to style your hair because you become accustom to wearing and styling the wig.

Go a week or two without it and with the mindset that you are learning about your natural hair so that is okay. We have all had to go down that road. Check out some of the styles many of the naturals are wearing and see if any would work with your hair.

You are doing well. The style looks great. Happy journey. :)

It is super cute

I am just wondering ... why didn't YOU like it ?

After you transition it may take some time to get use to your natural texture. Try and let your hair down sometimes so you can get acquainted with it. :)

Don't rely on wigs.

Thank you ladies for your kind words .. it gives me hope for take 2!
:hair:

For some of us we usually have to let the twists stay in for more than a day, more like two to three days at least for the twists to set properly.

What you have there looks fine. Being under a wig can also be a negative, in that it will rob you of the ability to style your hair because you become accustom to wearing and styling the wig.

Go a week or two without it and with the mindset that you are learning about your natural hair so that is okay. We have all had to go down that road. Check out some of the styles many of the naturals are wearing and see if any would work with your hair.

You are doing well. The style looks great. Happy journey. :)

:yep: ... I am definitely accustomed to wigs now (its like all I know). Thanks for the tip, I never thought about just leaving in the twists for a couple of days (under a wig lol .. j/k) ... i'm sure that would help tremendously with the definition

It is super cute

I am just wondering ... why didn't YOU like it ?

After you transition it may take some time to get use to your natural texture. Try and let your hair down sometimes so you can get acquainted with it. :)

Don't rely on wigs.

Thanks, I really don't think it looks "right". It wouldn't lay the way I wanted and I felt it lacked "definition" but with all these great tips, I'm sure my next try will show great improvement

Thanks, I really don't think it looks "right". It wouldn't lay the way I wanted and I felt it lacked "definition" but with all these great tips, I'm sure my next try will show great improvement

I think you need to understand that there is no "right" way that a hairstyle should/will turn out. Everyone's hair is different, therefore the same techniques done on different heads will have different results. Also, because you haven't really gotten to know your hair yet, your expectations of what it can do or will act may be unrealistic.

Your hair is beautiful and the other ladies are right, you really shouldn't be relying on wigs 100%. If you don't get to know your hair now and practice styles and see how things look, when you take the wigs off for good you'll just be more frustrated.

I agree with everyone else. Your hair looks great! Is it the length that you are still getting adjusted to? I am still getting used to the amount of shrinkage that comes with natural hair, but I am enjoying the versatility.

I saw this post yesterday and avoided it because I just knew your hair came out looking great and there was nothing to be upset about.

Guess what? I was right. :yep: It looks great.

very cute and like the ladies mentioned, only way to learn and gedt used to the quirks and curls of your hair is to continue to try! if this is 'bad' for an outcome, then you have NO worries! :D

I think it looks very cute. I wish my twist outs look like that. I am on the verge of giving up trying.:nono:

I think you need to understand that there is no "right" way that a hairstyle should/will turn out. Everyone's hair is different, therefore the same techniques done on different heads will have different results. Also, because you haven't really gotten to know your hair yet, your expectations of what it can do or will act may be unrealistic.

I saw this post yesterday and avoided it because I just knew your hair came out looking great and there was nothing to be upset about.

Guess what? I was right. :yep: It looks great.

Thanks, really though I hated it but MSA helped out a lot with the bolded, I have this picture perfect image in my head as to what twists outs should look like, and when mine didn't fit that image, I washed it out ... next time I do this style I will wear it out so I can get used to it and comfortable with it :yep:

(where would I be without you ladies ... still under a wig 3 years from now lol)

Back