My First Dominican Experience**Kinda Long**

Tai

Dominican salons are pretty rare in Michigan and I've been on a hunt for one since joining this board.
I heard about one from a Puerto Rican co-worker who said she'd go with me since she had not gone yet and since she could also translate if necessary since she's fluent and I have a minor working vocab.
She couldn't go and I got impatient, so with the help of Sengschick, I figured out where the salon was, made a appointment for today, and went in.
The shop is called Harlet's Hair Style and they're in SW Detroit on McGraw and Springwell. The owner, Harlet, is the one who did my blowout.
The shampoo girl shampooed me with Biolage Hydrating shampoo, then followed with Sebastian Laminates Conditioner and she put a little Miss Key 10 en 1 Super conditioner around my edges. I didn't see the bottle but I'm very familiar with that melon smell. After that the shampoo girl set me on rollers, all much bigger than the ones I had used when I did my own rollersets. She also rolled me under instead of over without any end papers. She put just a tiny touch of some type of serum on my ends before rolling. I couldn't see the tube to see what name it was.
I was under the dryer for about 45 minutes or so. Then the rollers were out and the blowout began. She sprayed my roots first with Biolage leave in and then blew it out. The heat was INTENSE! I flinched a couple of times. Once she started blowing me out, Harlet told me that I needed a trim (which is true) but didn't trim me. After she would blow out each section, she could take that part, roll it up with her fingers and then secure it with a clip. After it was all done & clipped, she took out the curls and used Semi de Lino serum lightly on my hair. My hair looked and feels like silk.
grin.gif

It's not hard to make my hair feel soft. It always does when it's been blown out and curled. But it's never been this soft or this straight. And it smells just like heaven. I keep touching my hair and smelling it.
smile.gif

I watched to see what was going on in the salon. All the women working had shoulder length or longer hair. Both of Harlet's clients that I saw had bra strap and waist length hair. Her own hair is about an inch or so above bra strap and looks very healthy. The shop was very clean and pretty busy. They also sold products. I saw they had Salerm 21 for sale. That might have been what she used on my ends but I can't be sure.
I also watched her cut the other women's hair and she was not a scissor happy stylist so I might consider letting her trim my ends the next time I go back.
I tried to take pics but I'm a horrid self picture taker so I'll have to see if my roommate can take some after she gets home.
smile.gif

Thumbs up experience!
grin.gif

Im happy you had a great experience. I gone to a dominican salon before and loved the way my hair came out but didn't like the stylist. I'm currently on the hunt for another dominican salon because I must say I haven't gone to an AA salon that can duplicate the way my hair looks when I go to a dominican salon.

YAY!! I'm glad you had a good experience. We definitely want to see some pics.

Just added pics. They're the last ones. I'll have to ask them to make it curly next time because my little curls are gone. But I still love it.
smile.gif

Go, girl. I highly recommend it. It's not hard to find since it's right on the corner. It's impossible to get lost.
smile.gif

I am glad you enjoyed your experience. I also plan on going again. Do you have lots of curl in your hair when it is wet? I think I might have enjoyed my experience there better if the lady rolling the hair had pulled it taut while it was wet and that way I would have had the option of not getting my hair blown out. It still came out pretty straight but it probably could have been better.

My hair is more wavy when it's soaking wet. The girl rolled it taut. If my hair hadn't grown out so much I probably wouldn't have really needed to have the blow out portion. The roots had just a touch of wave after the rollers were taken out.

Back